Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Do I have to list my disabled spouse on my Virginia auto policy?

I'm recently married and, while my wife has a license, she hasn't driven in several years due to disability (her knees don't work and she uses a powered wheelchair). We added her name to the title of my car to get a disabled license plate. However, once I told my insurance company, they jacked up my rates even though they have her noted as a disabled non-driver. Their logic seems to be that she might drive some day, and everyone over 15 must be listed on the policy. However, if she does drive again it will be an accessible vehicle and not my current car. What are the rules in Virginia?

Aug 13, 2017 Fairfax, VA

Author profile picture

The Zebra

The nation's leading independent insurance comparison site

The Zebra is an independent insurance advisor and quote comparison site with headquarters in Austin, Texas. Utilizing its real-time quote comparison …

Most, if not all, insurance companies require that any household members of driving age be listed on your policy. In most states, however, you have the option to exclude household members so they don't impact your rate and are not insured under your policy. In the event that an excluded driver is involved in an accident where they are considered to be at fault, your insurance company is not on the hook to pay for any of the damage that they caused. The reason Virginia, as well as a handful of other states, does not allow exclusions is because it exposes other drivers to the possibility of suffering a loss that isn't covered by the at-fault party. States that don't allow exclusions feel that doing so creates too big of a risk of uninsured drivers.


Here is the abbreviated version of the omnibus clause in Virginia:


Section 38.2-2204 of the Code of Virginia requires all policies covering liability for bodily injury or property damage arising from the ownership, maintenance, or use of any motor vehicle, aircraft, or private pleasure watercraft issued upon, or to the owner of, such motor vehicle, aircraft, or watercraft to provide coverage to all permissive users of, and any persons responsible for the use of, the motor vehicle, aircraft, or private pleasure watercraft.


And here is a link to the full omnibus clause as it pertains to auto insurance coverage in Virginia.


I would recommend contacting your insurance provider and asking them how your spouse would impact your policy if she were no longer licensed to drive. If her license status is the cause of the issue then it might be a good idea to consider relinquishing her driver's license to the state so you can avoid being charged for an additional driver on your policy. In the future, if she plans on driving then she can simply reapply for a driver's license.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started. No phone number required.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Do I have to pay a deductible if I hit someone but my vehicle is not damaged?

In a case where you are considered at-fault in an accident, in Virginia, your deductible should only apply if your vehicle was damaged and you want it repaired by your insurance company. The only other time you should be subject to a deductible in Virginia would be if you are filing an uninsured mo…
Feb 21, 2017 Vienna, VA

Can I insure my wife's car if the title is in her name?

If you are married then there shouldn't be any issue with you insuring the vehicle. If the registration is also in her name then she will need to be listed on the policy. In fact, a married couple generally qualifies for lower rates than people listed on separate policies so it would make the …
May 10, 2017 West Haven, CT

Does a vehicle need car insurance if its in storage in Virginia?

In Virginia, if a vehicle is not registered, parked on private property, and not being driven, then it does not need to be insured. Virginia law does require that a vehicle be insured before it is registered, so you'll want to keep in mind if it starts getting used for more than just storage, …
Aug 31, 2016 Dumfries, VA

How many cars can I list under one insurance policy?

The maximum allowable number of drivers and vehicles that can be insured on any particular car insurance policy will vary by company. While there is no set standard, most insurance companies will allow their customers to insure up to 4 drivers and 4 vehicles on a single policy. This does not mean t…