Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Will my spouse, or myself, get the best rate for insuring our shared car?

I am 76 and my wife is 75. We both have clean driving records. We share one car, but insurers always want a 'primary' driver. Since we both drive the car, will it matter which one of us is the primary on our insurance policy?

Dec 12, 2022 Saint Paul, MN

Author profile picture

Nathan Foster

Agency Trainer

  • Licensed Insurance Agent - Property and Casualty

Nathan is an insurance professional with a focus on creating positive customer experiences with more than 10 years of industry experience.

Nathan tra…

Author profile picture

Beth Swanson

SEO Content Strategist

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty

Beth joined The Zebra in 2022 as an Associate Content Strategist. She is a licensed insurance agent whose goal is to make insurance content easy to r…

This is an excellent question! Insurance is very complex, so trying to find the best rate can be a challenge. In this instance with both you and your wife having clean records and being close in age, the rate shouldn't be too much different if you were to switch out who the primary driver is on your shared vehicle. If you're wondering about rates by gender, keep in mind there is a difference in cost between male and female drivers, but it is fairly minimal. The best thing to do would be to contact your insurance carrier and ask if making that change would impact your rate.

Sometimes having the spouse with better credit listed as the named insured can potentially impact your rate. The difference that a driver with poor credit and one with excellent credit pay per year can be much more than you might expect — upwards of $1,000 per year. Most insurance companies use credit rating as a factor for your premiums. Certain states, such as California, do not allow credit as a factor, but since you're in Minnesota it will likely hold a fair amount of weight.

'Named insured' is just a fancy term for whose name is listed first on the policy. For more information about changing this on your current policy, you should also be able to call your insurance carrier to see if making a change will impact your rate. However, to change the primary named insured, most insurance companies will make you write a completely new policy. Even though this might seem like a lot of extra work, in the long run it could save you money. You can also call our agency to get a personalized quote for you at 888-444-8949 or you can get a quote online through

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Does my son-in-law's military status (Marine) qualify me as USAA member?

It is my understanding that USAA eligibility flows "downstream" – which means you need to be a child or spouse of an established member to get a USAA policy. Therefore parents, or in your case in-laws, of USAA members are likely not eligible to get their own policy. This applies to all in…
Feb 15, 2018 Austin, TX

Can I get car insurance without a home address?

Unfortunately it seems like you are in a tough spot until you have moved into your new place. Lots of information is used by insurance companies to determine the rate that they will charge to insure a driver and a major factor in rating that price is your home address. If you are only living in a l…
May 29, 2016 Portland, OR

Can my insurance company add someone to my policy if they share my address?

This is an excellent question. Insurance carriers reserve the right to add anyone that they pull that has used your daughter's address for a mailing address, especially if that person shares a last name and it's where the insured vehicle is garaged for most of the time.They are typically …
Dec 12, 2022 New Tazeville, TN

My address on my license doesn't match my insurance card. Is that ok?

Thank you for reaching out to The Zebra!First of all, your insurance policy and your driver's license (as well as your vehicle registration) should use the same address. Depending on which insurance company you have, that will determine how quickly you should get this taken care of, but genera…
Jan 10, 2018 Utica, NY