Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Do I pay a deductible for a liability claim?

I'm 19 years old and have only liability insurance, but I was at fault for an accident. Am I responsible for paying any deductible? My liability coverage is from Safe Auto Insurance, and this is my first accident with this insurance company. I've had other incidents in the past but all damages were minimal.

Dec 17, 2018 Chicago, IL

Author profile picture

Ava Lynch

Insurance Analyst

  • 7+ years of Experience in the Insurance Industry

Ava joined The Zebra as a writer and licensed insurance agent in 2016. She now works as a senior insurance contributor, providing insights and data a…

Great question, thanks for reaching out to The Zebra. You are not responsible for a deductible unless you have comprehensive and collision coverage. Since you only have liability insurance, the damages to your car will not be covered which means there is no deductible.

Liability coverage is there to pay for damage that you have caused to the other party's vehicle or bodily injury to others in that car. It will include limits for bodily injury per accident, body injury per person, and property damage. For instance, if your liability coverage limits are 25/50/20 (Illinois' required minimum coverage), it means that you'll have $25,000 worth of coverage for bodily injury per person and $50,000 for bodily injury coverage per accident. You'll have $20,000 to cover property damage. If you're carrying only the bare minimum, and it doesn't cover the entire accident you'll ultimately be responsible for the rest of the damages personally.

Keep in mind that an at-fault accident can increase rates by over $700 per year. You will typically be charged a fee (through a rate increase) for three years after a violation. If you're able to, it might make sense to pay for the other driver's damage out of pocket., if it is fairly minimal. However, the other driver is under no obligation to accept your offer, but it can be an alternative to the rate increase. For more information, see our Guide to Filing a Claim. Good luck and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Do I have coverage against damage caused by a fish tank?

The personal property portion of you renters insurance will definitely cover the damage to the fish tank, but remember to keep in mind your deductible. As far as the damage to your apartment, your policy should cover that via the liability portion which is typically included in a standard renters i…
Sep 9, 2018 Denver, CO

If I backed into a pole in a parking lot, do I need a police report to file a claim?

First off, a police report is not always necessary to file a claim, especially for incidents that only involve one vehicle.As for your second question, should you file a claim, the choice will ultimately be up to you. However, I recommend following the advice below before deciding to file a claim:G…
Aug 11, 2018 Taylorville, IL

Do I still have to pay a deductible for a hit and run incident?

In the case of a hit-and-run, if you filed a police report and have uninsured motorist coverage, this could be used to cover the damages. This is additional coverage that must already be on your policy. It could also be covered by the collision portion of your insurance, but keep in mind your premi…
Jun 25, 2019 Manitowoc, WI

Someone gave me the wrong insurance information after a claim

I would first try contacting the insurance company they gave you. It could be they are using a new card they received for their policy renewal that hasn't started yet. If they truly did not have insurance at the time of the accident, they will have to pay for the damages out of pocket. If that…
Jul 31, 2018 Machesney Park, IL