Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Parked car insurance so I can get tags for my vehicle

DMV says I have to have insurance in order to get my tags. Is there some sort of parked car insurance so I can get my tags? My apartment will tow a vehicle that doesn’t have tags. The vehicle isn’t running and it’s my plan to fix it.

Agent Answer

Ava Lynch

There’s a couple of things to think about here. First, there isn’t really anything for parked car insurance. What you may be thinking about is storage insurance. This coverage isn’t provided by every company and usually only available if you have another vehicle insurance for at least your state’s minimum liability limits. For this coverage, you would only have comprehensive coverage. Because of this, you actually wouldn’t be compliant in your state’s insurance regulations and thus wouldn’t get plates. The only way to get plates is to have your state’s minimum insurance requires and send proof to your DMV.

The average cost of car insurance in Arizona is $637 per year. I would recommend either getting insurance on the vehicle to get the tags, find a different place to park the vehicle (such as a friend or relative’s home) or speak to the complex manager. You might find a cheaper solution there.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More