Allstate Insurance Review
- With 4/5 stars in 2023, Allstate is a good insurance company.
- Read Allstate reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
Allstate insurance review — at a glance
Allstate car insurance review
Whether you're a seasoned Allstate policyholder or a potential customer looking to switch, deciding on a reliable insurance provider to protect you and your vehicle — in addition to finding the best price — can pose a challenge every time your policy is up for renewal.
In our analysis of Allstate, we found the company's rates are often more expensive than rates from competing companies of similar size with a comparable range of coverage options. While Allstate offers extra perks and benefits for policyholders (like a rewards program, bonus checks for safe driving and more) that set it apart, it's ultimately up to the driver to decide if Allstate is worth it for the price.
Allstate is typically rated favorably by reputable third-party organizations. In the latest assessment of Allstate's claims satisfaction, financial outlook and national complaint ratio (seen below), the company logged fewer complaints than the national median, alongside healthy finances that are critical in paying out claims to policyholders.
In The Zebra's customer satisfaction survey of 15 top insurance companies, Allstate came in eighth place.
- The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey — 4.3/5: A consumer survey conducted by The Zebra revealed most Allstate customers are satisfied with this carrier. While Allstate did not rank among the top companies for the categories surveyed, The Zebra's study found that it is a reliable insurance company suitable for most people.
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Average: Allstate earned average marks in J.D. Power's most recent claims satisfaction study.
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Average: J.D. Power rates Allstate as average in overall customer satisfaction.
- Financial strength — Excellent: Allstate earned an A+ financial strength rating from A.M. Best. An insurance company’s financial strength reflects its ability to pay out claims.
- NAIC Rating — Excellent: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) received fewer complaints regarding Allstate than average in the last year.
Where is Allstate car insurance available?
Allstate auto insurance is available in 50 states and Washington, D.C.
Allstate car insurance coverage options
Allstate provides all of the basic insurance coverage options like liability insurance, comprehensive and collision coverage, uninsured motorist coverage and more. The company offers an ample number of coverage options that are comparable with those of other large insurance companies like GEICO, State Farm and Liberty Mutual. Additional features (and benefits) available through an Allstate insurance policy are detailed below. Some of these endorsements may come at an additional premium but could be worth adding to increase your level of protection on the road.
Rental reimbursement coverage
This covers the cost of a rental car while your vehicle gets repaired following a covered accident.
Sound system coverage
If audio or video equipment is stolen or damaged, Allstate covers the cost to replace these parts for your vehicle.
Allstate has three tiers of roadside assistance: membership, pay-per-use, and roadside coverage. The membership tier provides the most robust coverage, although each promises 24/7 protection against flat tires and dead batteries.
Allstate's accident forgiveness coverage ensures your rate won't go up after an accident — even if you're at fault. Learn more about accident forgiveness.
New car replacement
If your new vehicle is two model years old or less, Allstate will replace your vehicle with a new one in the event of a total loss, rather than issuing a check for its depreciated value.
Allstate’s Deductible Rewards provides a $100 deductible discount for every accident-free year free of insurance claims. Drivers can earn up to $500 off their deductible. See more information about vanishing deductibles.
Allstate Safe Driving Bonus
For every six months of being accident-free, Allstate's Safe Driving Bonus rewards safe drivers by providing a bonus check in the mail.
Drivers enrolled in Allstate Rewards can earn points for safe driving. Points can be redeemed for gift cards, daily deals, sweepstakes and more. To qualify, you must sign up for one of Allstate's app-based programs: Drivewise (telematics-based) or Milewise (pay-per-mile car insurance).
Allstate car buying service
Allstate policyholders in the market for a new vehicle can take advantage of this service. Partnering with TrueCar, Allstate claims guaranteed savings in addition to free vehicle reports and access to a network of certified auto dealers.
Allstate currently provides rideshare car insurance coverage in 47 states and Washington, D.C. Allstate's rideshare coverage works with Lyft and Uber to ensure your vehicle is protected throughout your workday. Learn more about rideshare insurance.
Allstate Mexico car insurance coverage
While your U.S. driver's license is valid in Mexico, your car insurance policy likely will not cover you or your vehicle once you cross the border. Allstate partners with insurance companies in Mexico to provide coverage for American and Canadian tourists. Learn more about auto insurance in Mexico.
Allstate classic car insurance
Insuring a classic car comes with some additional considerations for adequate coverage. Allstate offers auto insurance for classic and antique cars, including modified vehicles and custom builds, with all of the same protections that come with a typical car insurance policy. Learn more about classic car insurance.
Allstate + Avail car sharing
Allstate partnered with Avail car sharing to provide insurance coverage to borrowers and owners on every trip. Avail car sharing allows local vehicle owners to rent out their vehicles to drivers in need. Avail takes care of the car exchange, insurance, inspection, and cleaning to provide a safe and secure experience for all parties. Allstate full coverage insurance is included in every car’s daily rate to ensure that drivers are protected in the event of an accident. If you do get into an accident while driving an Avail vehicle, the process is simple: if you’re not at fault, you pay nothing; if you are at fault, the most you would pay is a $500 deductible. Fault is determined by an Allstate claims adjuster. Cars undergo a detailed inspection before and after each trip to make sure it’s in good working condition. Allstate and Avail offer 24-hour roadside assistance and customer support if needed.
Allstate auto insurance discounts
Allstate offers a number of ways to put money back in your pocket; the scope of these discounts is comparable with many of Allstate's competitors. Individually, these discounts tend to be quite small but can add up to chip away at your total insurance premium. In many cases, these discounts are automatically built into your rate when you get a car insurance quote. Take a look at a comprehensive list of Allstate's discounts on car insurance, along with details on special programs that could potentially provide even more savings.
Discounts based on the driver or vehicle
- New car discount: Covering a new vehicle with Allstate can land you a discount.
- Anti-lock brake discount: Get a small discount if your car is equipped with anti-lock brakes.
- Anti-theft device discount: If you drive a car equipped with an anti-theft device, you can qualify for some savings.
- Good student discount: Full-time, unmarried students under age 25 with good grades can earn a student discount. Students who live more than 100 miles away from where the insured vehicle is garaged can also get this discount. If your grades aren't up to par, Allstate provides an opportunity for students to save: by completing a driver education program.
- Safe driving club: This program results in a discount if you meet Allstate's safe driving requirements.
- Student away from home: If a young driver attends school more than 100 miles away from their listed residence, Allstate offers a student discount.
Discounts based on your policy
- Multiple policy discount: If you bundle renters, home or life insurance with your auto insurance, you can earn a multi-policy discount. Allstate claims a savings of 10% off car insurance and 25% off homeowners insurance by bundling home and car policies.
- EZ pay plan discount: If you set up automatic payments from your bank account, you can earn this discount.
- Allstate eSmart discount: Creating an online account with Allstate can going paperless can make paying your car insurance bill quicker and easier and result in some small savings.
- FullPay discount: Pay the entirety of your premium upfront to be eligible for this pay-in-full discount.
- Early signing discount: Get this Allstate discount by signing your policy documents at least seven days before your policy inception date.
- Responsible payer discount: After your first year with Allstate, you can earn a discount if you did not receive a cancellation notice for non-payment your previous year.
Drivewise is Allstate’s telematics insurance program. Drivewise uses a mobile app to rate your driving behavior behind the wheel, which is based to price your premium. It measures things like speed, braking and time of day driven to calculate your rate. Good driving habits can earn you a big discount — Allstate claims saving over 40% off your premium by opting into Drivewise.
Allstate's pay-per-mile program, Milewise, could be a good option for occasional or low mileage drivers. Milewise uses an app and a plug-in device for your car to evaluate mileage and driving behavior. Your premium is the sum of two factors: the daily rate plus the per-mile rate. These are adjusted based on the previous six months of driving data when it's time to renew your policy. Milewise drivers can save on their rates by being a safe driver — by avoiding speeding, sudden braking and late-night driving. The company claims a savings of 72% per year if you drive 1,000 miles a year.
Milewise is only available in select states: Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C. and West Virginia
Get the protection you need at the best price.
How much does Allstate car insurance cost?
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
|Accident/Violation||Avg. Monthly Premium|
|At-fault accident - greater than $2000||$290|
|Speeding 16 - 20 MPH over limit||$231|
Allstate bundling options
Most insurance companies offer a multi-policy discount for bundling auto insurance with homeowners or renters insurance. Allstate's suite of additional insurance products could be of interest if you have other assets that could do with some protection.
Additional insurance products offered by Allstate
Compare insurance rates quickly and easily.
Allstate homeowners insurance review
Offering a robust selection of coverages and positive ratings for customer satisfaction and financial strength, Allstate could be a serious contender for your home insurance policy.
We found that Allstate is, however, more expensive than other competing companies that provide homeowners insurance. The higher-than-average price of an Allstate policy could be worth it if good customer service and efficient claims processing are important to you as an insurance client.
While Allstate doesn't have the most comprehensive list of discounts, it offers a number of extra coverages so homeowners can tailor their policy to their needs.
In The Zebra's customer satisfaction survey of 15 popular homeowners insurance companies, Allstate finished in ninth place.
Learn more about the company's home insurance in our detailed review below.
- The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey — 4.3/5: Allstate earned satisfactory marks in The Zebra's consumer survey.
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Average: Allstate was rated as average in claims satisfaction by J.D. Power.
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Above average: Allstate was among the top performers in J.D. Power's 2020 study of customer satisfaction.
- Financial strength — Excellent: Allstate's finances grade out at an A+, according to A.M. Best.
- NAIC Rating — Above Average: Allstate's homeowners insurance received fewer customer complaints than the national median.
Where is Allstate home insurance available?
Allstate homeowners insurance can be purchased in 50 states and Washington, D.C.
Allstate home insurance coverage options
Primary coverages for homeowners insurance like dwelling insurance, personal property, personal liability, and medical expenses for guests are offered by Allstate's standard home insurance policies. The company also provides a number of optional coverages that policyholders can add to fortify their protection and tailor their coverage according to their needs and property. Learn more about these additional coverages and endorsements below, keeping in mind they may not be available in all states.
Scheduled personal property
Valuables like fine jewelry, art, antiques and silverware come with sub-limits. This means that insurance companies impose a cap on how much you could be reimbursed if something happens to your property. Adding extra coverage with a scheduled personal property endorsement ensures you'll be fully compensated to replace certain high-value items.
Business property coverage
This coverage boosts limits for business-related items that are stored in your residence.
Sports equipment coverage
If you own expensive sports equipment (like golf clubs, skis and more), this coverage extends your limit for these items.
Musical instruments coverage
This increases coverage for musical instruments that warrant extra protection.
Water backup coverage
Also known as sewer backup insurance, this coverage protects against water damage as a result of backups in the home's plumbing.
Identity theft restoration
If your identity is stolen, Allstate provides assistance by way of covering legal fees, lost wages and other related costs.
Extended coverage for yard and garden
Outdoor features like trees and shrubs can be costly to replace and come with limited coverage in a typical homeowners policy. If you're especially proud of your garden, this coverage will increase your limits so your policy can go further in protecting the best elements of the yard.
Green improvement reimbursement
This coverage reimburses you to cover the additional expense of replacing damaged or destroyed home features with more eco-friendly and energy-efficient alternatives.
Electronic data recovery
Losing valuable personal data like photos or videos from your device can be tricky to recover. Allstate's electronic data recovery coverage can help you cover the cost of recovering your files.
This locks in your rate, ensuring that your premium won't increase after filing a home insurance claim.
When you sign up, this feature brings your deductible down by $100. With each year of maintaining a claim-free record, an additional $100 will be deducted from your deductible, up to a limit of $500.
NFIP flood insurance
Through an Allstate agent, homeowners can purchase additional coverage to protect against flooding (which is commonly excluded from standard policies) through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a government-run program for homeowners and renters.
HostAdvantage is Allstate's home-sharing insurance and covers against perils like theft and damage caused by renters.
Allstate homeowners insurance discounts
Some common discounts for home insurance are on offer from Allstate. Considering how pricey this company tends to be, it's important to look into discounts that you can qualify for.
Discounts based on the homeowner or property
- Claim-free: Allstate claims up to a 20% discount if homeowners without any recent claims switch to Allstate.
- Home buyer: Get a discount for being a recent homeowner or for purchasing a new construction.
- Responsible payment discount: If you pay for your policy in full or have a good payment history, this discount can lead to some savings.
- Protective devices: If your home has theft or fire protection devices, Allstate provides a discount.
Discounts based on the policy
- Multi-policy/bundling: Bundling home and auto insurance with Allstate can result in up to 25% off your rate.
- Welcome and loyalty discount: Allstate advertises up to 10% off for being a new customer and for every year you remain one.
- Easy pay plan: Set up automatic payments to get up to 5% off.
- Early signing: If you enroll in a home policy at least seven days before your current one expires, Allstate offers a savings of up to 10%.
Compare quotes from over 100 providers.
How much does Allstate home insurance cost?
Homeowners insurance data methodology
The homeowners insurance rates published in this guide are based on The Zebra's analysis of the cost of home insurance in every U.S. ZIP code. These rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted the homeowner profile based on common pricing factors used by major home insurance companies. These factors include location, coverage limits, claims record and others.
How to cancel an Allstate policy
Allstate advises that policyholders who wish to terminate their policy should get in contact with their Allstate insurance agent or call the customer service line. You may be required to provide a written request indicating which date you'd like your policy to end, in addition to some personal information like your name, address, phone number and policy information. If you call Allstate to cancel your insurance, make sure to have a copy of your policy documents on hand.
Can I cancel my Allstate policy online?
While policyholders can manage their policy on Allstate's website, you must call customer service or your agent to formally cancel it.
Allstate online features and app
Allstate's website allows customers to look up additional information on coverage options, other lines of insurance and plenty of resources for claims. Other features of the Allstate website include:
- Free quotes for many types of insurance
- File and manage claims
- Account management: Bill pay, view policy documents, acquire proof of insurance cards
- Find a local agent
The Allstate mobile app is comparable with that of other large companies, allowing policyholders to view their digital proof of insurance card, upload photos for filing claims, pay bills, summon roadside assistance, contact an agent and access policy documents. These are standard features of most insurance company mobile apps, but Allstate offers an additional tool called the Digital Locker®. This lets policyholders create a digital home inventory of their personal property. This can make filing claims easier it those items are damaged or destroyed after a covered loss.
Key customer satisfaction survey findings — Allstate
The Zebra conducted a survey with the intention of understanding carriers from a customer's perspective. We asked how each major carrier held up in online experience, claims satisfaction, ease of use, customer service, trustworthiness and willingness to recommend.
Overall survey takeaways
The highest category Allstate ranked for was trustworthiness — it came in sixth place out of the 15 companies surveyed. However, consumers had a less favorable view of the company's claims satisfaction, for which it ranked in 11th place. Allstate's auto insurance came in 8th place overall, which factors in scores for all categories.
In conclusion, Allstate car insurance is a reliable option for many drivers but may not have the best claims experience.
Allstate's home insurance came in 9th place and its lowest ranking came from the company's online experience. It ranked best in trustworthiness, for which the company came in 8th place. Its highest score among all categories was in ease of use, and its lowest score was for willingness to recommend.
This indicates Allstate is a dependable company for homeowners insurance, but those looking for a tech-forward digital experience may not be satisfied.
Findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2021.
- Female drivers and older drivers (over age 50) rated Allstate more favorably than male drivers and younger drivers
- Gen X and Boomer respondents preferred Allstate's auto and home insurance over Millenial and Gen Z consumers
- Allstate car insurance was ranked worst by single drivers — particularly for claims satisfaction
Compare Allstate with competitors
- Allstate vs. 21st Century
- Allstate vs. Allied
- Allstate vs. American Family
- Allstate vs. Amica Mutual Insurance
- Allstate vs. Auto Club (AAA)
- Allstate vs. Erie
- Allstate vs. Esurance
- Allstate vs. Farm Bureau Mutual
- Allstate vs. Farmers
- Allstate vs. Foremost
- Allstate vs. GEICO
- Allstate vs. Infinity
- Allstate vs. Liberty Mutual
- Allstate vs. Mercury
- Allstate vs. MetLife
- Allstate vs. Nationwide
- Allstate vs. North Star Mutual
- Allstate vs. Progressive
- Allstate vs. Root Insurance
- Allstate vs. Safe Auto
- Allstate vs. Safeco
- Allstate vs. State Farm
- Allstate vs. The General
- Allstate vs. The Hartford
- Allstate vs. Travelers
- Allstate vs. USAA
Learn more about Allstate at allstate.com.
Find the right policy in only a few minutes.
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.