Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Car insurance for elderly car owner who doesn't drive?

Mom has finally agreed to surrender her DL (at 99!) She has a car that is currently insured by Allstate costing her $300 a month (history of accidents). Should Mom continue the coverage if she wants her daily aide (or others) to drive the car? The aide has her own personal vehicle & her own insurance. Does the aide's insurance cover her or the car if she drive's my mom's car? Really appreciate any help & info on this.

Jun 20, 2018 Lake Worth, FL

Author profile picture

Ava Lynch

Insurance Analyst

  • 7+ years of Experience in the Insurance Industry

Ava joined The Zebra as a writer and licensed insurance agent in 2016. She now works as a senior insurance contributor, providing insights and data a…

There's a couple of ways to go about handling this. First, you need to be careful about your mother's registration. Florida is usually pretty active with their registration and if she drops coverage, she risks having her registration suspended and the possibilities for fines. In this sense, dropping coverage isn't really an option.

Instead, I recommend having the aide added to the policy (if she will using the policy regularly) and transitioning your mother to an "additional interest". Because your mother's aide will be using the vehicle often, she needs to be a listed driver – this is the best way to ensure she will be covered using your mother's vehicle. There is a clause in many insurance policies known as "permissive use" which allows infrequent drivers the ability to use the policy without having to be added to the policy. However, it sounds like your mother's aide would be using the vehicle more often than this. This remains the same for anyone who uses the vehicle often – you and any siblings you have. I would contact Allstate and see if they have any company specifics for situations like this. However, it will most likely be similar to what I have outlined.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Can I file a claim if my insurance policy is canceled but was active at the time of an accident?

It will depend on how long ago the accident happened. You can use our chart on time limits for filing claims by state and see if you still have time to file a claim. If the accident happened in Florida, you have 4 years from the date of the incident to file a claim, based on the chart. The timefram…
Jan 15, 2017 Miami, FL

The person I hit wants me to pay out of pocket for damage

There's a couple of things to think about here. Let's break it down below:  First, most insurance companies require you to report all accidents, even when a claim is not filed. Check your policy specifications.Next, the other driver cannot stop you from filing a claim with your insurance …
Jul 27, 2018 Riverview, FL

Why does Allstate count hail damage against you?

Insurance companies are in business to make money, so when a customer files multiple claims within a certain time frame (usually 3 years), this begins to cost the insurance company more money than they are receiving from that customer. While not every company will non-renew your policy for multiple…
Feb 28, 2017 Amsterdam, NY

If I cancel a policy less than 24 hours after starting it, will I get a refund?

The state of Florida requires that insurance companies refund at least 90% of the unearned premium paid by a customer if they receive a request to cancel. There are instances where a company may include the policy's fees within the first month so your refund can vary depending on which company…