The General Insurance Review for 2020
Headquartered in Nashville, TN, and founded in 1963, The General is an auto insurance company owned by American Family Insurance. It specializes in providing auto insurance for high-risk drivers who may have less-than-perfect driving histories and credit scores, and have trouble obtaining insurance elsewhere. Nonetheless, The General may be a great option for drivers with good driving histories, as the company offers competitive rates. Depending on your circumstances, The General might be a suitable and affordable option for a new policy. Our overview of their coverage options, discounts, and claims satisfaction below can help you decide if The General has what you're looking for.
The General car insurance coverage options
Standard coverage options like collision, comprehensive coverage, and liability insurance — along with personal injury protection (PIP), uninsured motorist, and medical payments coverage can be expected from The General. For the most part, this insurance company offers many of the traditional coverage options you can expect when you're looking for a new policy.
Custom equipment coverage
If your car has any enhancements or accessories that were not originally included by the manufacturer, like customized wheels, paint, spoilers, performance-related parts, trailer hitches, and camper shells, this will cover damage to these parts within a $5,000 limit.
Roadside assistance 24/7
The General's roadside assistance plan is administered by Nation Safe Driver (NSD) and provides round-the-clock service and towing if your car has operational issues or breaks down on the side of the road.
If you're involved in an accident and your car is out of commission while it's being repaired, The General will cover the expenses of a rental car up to the per day limit and specified number of days.
Towing and labor
This optional coverage pays for the cost of towing if your car breaks down. Policyholders can choose the limit that The General will cover per occurrence.
When you get a quote from The General, their application inquires whether you'll need an SR-22 form. If your state requires one, The General will file this form on your behalf.
The General insurance discounts and reward programs
You should always look for ways to save money on your premium when shopping for new car insurance. Detailed below are some discounts offered by The General that may help you save on your insurance rate. Keep in mind that these may vary by state.
Discounts based on your policy
- Double deductible: This will double your deductible for the first 45 days of your policy in exchange for a discount on your premium.
- Pay in full: You may be eligible for a discount if you pay in full for your insurance policy.
- New customer: If you switch to The General after having insurance elsewhere for the past five years, you might qualify for some savings.
Discounts based on the driver or vehicle
- Multi-car: Insure multiple cars on one policy from The General to receive this discount.
- Homeowners: Own a home? You might be eligible for auto insurance savings.
- Military: If you're active duty and based in Louisiana, you may be eligible for a military discount.
- Good student: If you meet The General's academic requirements, the company will reward your efforts in school with a student discount.
- Driver training: As long as the approved course was not court-ordered, you may qualify for this discount upon course completion.
Additional lines of insurance
The General only offers auto insurance at this time.
Is The General car insurance right for you?
If you have poor credit or past infractions, like at-fault accidents, DUIs, and moving violations, The General offers affordable coverage with decent rates and low down payments. Considering a bumpy driving history will typically increase your premium and make car insurance more expensive overall, The General may be a good option if other insurers are out of your budget. Even if you have a good driving record and decent credit score, it's worth looking into The General if you're shopping around for rates.
Because of the higher risks posed by The General's clientele, the company may not offer the most extensive coverage options and discounts. However, The General's coverage is affordable and will cover your bases. We can help you find the best rate by helping you compare quotes — enter your ZIP code below to see quotes from The General and more.