National General Insurance Review
- With 3.1/5 stars in 2023, National General is a good insurance company.
- Read National General reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
National General insurance: Ratings and reviews
A product of Allstate, National General provides home, auto, renters and more insurance products to customers across the nation. Their network of independent agents and professional claim response team offer a personalized touch to customers. Read on for The Zebra's review on National General's coverages, rates, and discounts.
The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey
In addition to third-party ratings, we like to incorporate the results from our own consumer survey where we ranked which auto insurance companies are the best based on feedback from real customers. However, we did not collect a sufficient amount of data on National General for it to be included.
How much does National General insurance cost?
Currently, the national average for a 6 month car insurance policy is $880, whereas Hanover is about $946 or roughly 8% more expensive than a typical policy, making it a competitive option.
The table below shows how National General auto insurance compares against other top insurers.
Similar to any insurance company, pricing for National General auto insurance does vary based on your age and generally will get cheaper the older you get.
The table below shows National General's car insurance premiums for different age brackets.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
National General offers several discounts that can potentially lower your premium. Discount availablity varies by state.
- Paid in full - Your overall premium is lower if you pay for your policy up front
- Low mileage discount - Driving less can help lower your premium with this discount
- Security devices - Having anti-theft devices in your vehicle can help you save on your premiums
- Multi-car - Having more than one vehicle on your policy will earn you this discount
- Safe driver - Safe driving is rewarded at National General
Read more about National General's discount options here.
Search, compare and buy all on one site. Start saving today!
What types of coverage does National General offer?
National General offers standard coverage options, including liability, collision, and comprehensive coverages. Additionally, they offer:
- Roadside assistance - 24/7 emergency roadside services are available for disabled vehicles.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage - If you are involved in an accident with a driver with little or no insurance, this coverage will cover the gap
- Auto replacement - This pays to replace your vehicle of the same model and year if it was deemed a total loss.
- Transportation expense - Also known as rental reimbursment, the cost of a rental car will be covered if your vehicles is rendered temporarily inoperable by a covered loss.
Read more about National General's additional coverages here.
DynamicDrive telematics app
DynamicDrive is an application that links to your vehicle, offering personalized driving feedback to help you gain insights into your driving behaviors and encourage safer driving practices. The app assesses various aspects like braking, speeding, phone usage, and time of day to generate a driving score. Users who install and utilize DynamicDrive become eligible for a discount on their car insurance policy.
National General insurance review: Summary
National General's customizable coverage options, telematics program and mutiple insurance products make the company a formidable competitor in the insurance space. The provider has modernized its website and mobile capabilities to offer handier, more accessible policy management. Policyholders who enjoy a personalized approach will benefit from the independent agent network, but keep National General's high complaint index and low customer satisfaction scores in mind. Regardless, National General is worth looking into for a quote.
Methodology — how The Zebra reviews insurance companies
The team of insurance experts at The Zebra considers the company's standing in five main categories to come up with an overall rating. These metrics are weighted according to importance and are detailed below:
- Price (20%): Using the base profile detailed below, we compared the company's average rate with the national average. If it surpassed this average, we gave a lower rating; if it fell below, we awarded a higher rating.
- Coverage (20%): The highest-scoring companies offer a variety of coverage options, including bundling options, roadside assistance, telematics, beyond-basic coverage levels, and a variety of other coverage types.
- Customer service (30%): We averaged ratings from JD Power, the NAIC complaint index to come up with a rating for the company's customer service. In instances when a company is not rated, we may use alternative rating agencies such as the Better Business Bureau and Trust Pilot.
- Financial strength (10%): We use AM Best to determine a company's financial standing. In some cases when a company is not rated by AM Best, we may use an alternative measure such as Demotech.
- The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey (20%): The Zebra conducts an annual survey measuring customer satisfaction for many of the top insurance companies with the goal of ranking both the best auto insurance companies and best home insurance companies. Read more below.
For our auto insurance review, we analyzed more than 83 million insurance rates spanning every U.S. ZIP code using a sample user profile: a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord, good credit and full coverage at these levels:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per incident for property damage liability
- $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive coverage
For our home insurance review, rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
These sample premiums are dynamic and automatically refresh whenever the newest data is made available.
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted this profile based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies. These factors include credit score, coverage level and others.
For The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2023.
National General insurance: Frequently asked questions
Is National General a good insurance company?
National General Insurance is a good option for those looking for highly customizable coverage options and a range of insurance products, and who enjoy a personalized approach from an independent agent network. If a high complaint index and low customer satisfaction scores are dealbreakers for you, you should shop elsewhere for insurance.
Does National General have an app?
National General has an app that allows you to make payments, access a digital ID card, view policy informaiton, contact claims services, and view your agent's contact information.
Why is National General insurance so expensive?
National General's insurance might be more expensive for you depending on the coverage level you choose and your driver profile. If you feel your rate for National General is high, it's a good idea to gather quotes from other companies to ensure you are getting the best price.
Where is National General insurance available?
National General sells policies in AL, AR, AZ, CO, FL, IL, IN, KS, LA, MO, MS, OH, OK, OR, NC, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, and WI.
Get quotes from 100+ companies with The Zebra!