Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Will an insurance company let you underinsure a home?

Do insurance companies allow you to significantly underinsure a rental property? I wanted to insure an investment property for $90,000 instead of the replacement cost estimate of $160,000.

Dec 19, 2023 Lexington, KY

Author profile picture

Nathan Foster

Agency Trainer

  • Licensed Insurance Agent - Property and Casualty

Nathan is an insurance professional with a focus on creating positive customer experiences with more than 10 years of industry experience.

Nathan tra…

Thank you for reaching out to The Zebra! Every insurance company is a little bit different. Most will not allow you to insure a home underneath its replacement cost. Here at The Zebra, we do not sell any home or rental properties for less than their replacement cost. 

One option that might fit your needs to is find a local agent who has access to write an insurance policy at actual cash value (ACV). Actual cash value means that your home is only insured to its value minus depreciation for the age of the home.

This type of coverage will not allow you to replace your home if you have a total loss. What this means is you will not have coverage to replace the home and restore it to its original value. You would only have up to the amount listed on your policy for any (and all) repairs on a claim. In your specific situation, you'd only get $90,000 for a home that would cost about $160,000 to replace. This isn't usually an ideal situation for homeowners, so it's important to understand exactly what you're getting from your insurance policy.

Replacement cost value (RCV) covers the cost to actually replace the home. RCV doesn't consider depreciation, and you can generally get similar like/kind items to that which you've lost. Sometimes historic or unique homes may have extenuating circumstances where they can't be insured for the full replacement cost.

This might be a good time to reevaluate, get new quotes, and look at other options to insure your rental property. As a landlord, it's important to protect your investment even if you aren't the one living in it!

If you'd like to explore additional homeowners coverage options, give The Zebra's agency a call at 888-444-8949.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

If the value of my home goes up, do I need to increase my coverage?

The value of your home increasing is amazing for selling purposes. However, when it comes to insuring a home, insurance carriers value the dwelling (Coverage A) at a replacement cost. This means they will cover the actual amount to rebuild your home, in the event a covered peril leads to a need to …
Apr 1, 2022 Copely, Ohio

If I'm on the deed but not the mortgage, can I still be on the homeowners insurance?

Thanks for the question. I see no issue with you being on the insurance if you are on the deed to the property. The mortgage company will want to be listed as an interested party in the event of a claim payout. They will also want their client listed as a person on the insurance. Beyond that, there…
Dec 15, 2019 Wilmington, DE

If my daughter caused less than $1,000 in damage to another car, should we still file a claim or pay out of pocket?

I would agree with your assumption. In Kentucky, an at-fault accident impacts rates by an average of $917 per year in 2016. Since the accident will impact her rate for 3 years, that's quite a bit more than the cost of the repair. I would recommend paying for the other driver's damage out …
May 2, 2017 Lexington, KY

Do I need to change my policy when I rent out my home?

Great question! This is an important consideration if you're planning to turn your primary home into a rental. The short answer is yes, you'll need to change your homeowners policy to a landlord policy. An insurance company would likely deny a claim if the proper coverage isn't in pl…