Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Will my homeowners coverage cover my condo if it's a rental?

I am wondering if my homeowners liability coverage on my HO6 Condo policy still applies when my condo is rented out on a short-term lease.

Mar 29, 2024 Destin, FL

Author profile picture

Nathan Foster

Agency Trainer

  • Licensed Insurance Agent - Property and Casualty

Nathan is an insurance professional with a focus on creating positive customer experiences with more than 10 years of industry experience.

Nathan tra…

Thank you for reaching out to The Zebra!

Your HO-6 (condo insurance) liability policy will not cover your condo while it's being used as a short-term rental. This has become a much more common scenario over the last few years as remote work and home-sharing websites are increasingly popular. Renting out your condo means that if someone who's staying there gets hurt, they could potentially sue you. Unfortunately, we live in a "sue happy" world. Even if a tenant tripped and scratched their arm there is a potential lawsuit. The insurance company would find out that they were one of your tenants, and deny the claim because you never informed them the home was rented out.

Because you'd have multiple staying in your home (more than if it was a traditional one-year lease, for example), this opens you up to more chances of being sued. This is what we call a risk factor in insurance. If the insurance company doesn't know or rate that risk on the policy, they can deny a claim resulting from that risk.

By operating a short-term rental (also known as a vacation rental, or referred to by the top websites like Airbnb, HomeAway, and VRBO) you are running a business, in the eyes of an insurance company. Often, liability is excluded if a claim is related to the home-based business. I suggest reaching out to your insurer to discuss the situation with them; there may be endorsements you can add for home-sharing or an"Airbnb" operation.

If your current insurance company doesn't have a good option for you, there are specific carriers that have developed policies designed for short-term rentals. For example, Allstate HostAdvantage, Proper Insurance, and Erie Homeshare. Regardless of the route you take, if you're turning a primary home into a rental we always recommend reaching out to discuss this with your insurance company.

If your current insurer doesn't offer the right options, feel free to call our knowledgeable agents at 1-888-255-4364 and we can help find the right home coverage for your situation.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

It is illegal to pay for someone else's car insurance

While it is not illegal to pay for someone else's policy, you might run into issues if she's on your policy as well. Car insurance is regulated at the state level and priced at the zip code level. So, if she's on your car insurance policy but not living at your residence, you will pr…
Jun 24, 2018 Pinellas, FL

Can an insurance company recant liability and ask for a refund one month after paying me for damages to my vehicle?

I have not heard of a claim decision being reversed and asking for the claims payout money back. They should be providing you with evidence of why they are refusing to pay the claim — if you haven't asked for this already, you should demand it. I strongly advise getting help from someone who i…
Nov 19, 2019 Jacksonville, FL

If I cancel a policy less than 24 hours after starting it, will I get a refund?

The state of Florida requires that insurance companies refund at least 90% of the unearned premium paid by a customer if they receive a request to cancel. There are instances where a company may include the policy's fees within the first month so your refund can vary depending on which company…

What happens if you total a rental car?

The answer depends on your insurance coverage. If you do not have insurance you will likely be responsible for the cost of the vehicle. If you do have comprehensive or collision coverage, check with your insurance company. The company may cover the damages.An insurance company may extend your colli…
Dec 16, 2018 Tampa, FL