Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

How can I get more liability insurance?

I am from Canada, and there we can have a 2 million dollar liability policy with no problem. In Florida, I can't get anyone to write a policy for more than $300k in liability. What can I do about this if I want more coverage? I won't even be using my car all year - it will be in storage for several months at a time.

Jan 23, 2023 Miramar, FL

Author profile picture

Nathan Foster

Agency Trainer

  • Licensed Insurance Agent - Property and Casualty

Nathan is an insurance professional with a focus on creating positive customer experiences with more than 10 years of industry experience.

Nathan tra…

Thank you for reaching out to The Zebra! This is an excellent question. There are very few carriers in the state of Florida that will write that high of liability coverage. The insurance companies that we offer here at The Zebra will offer up to 250/500.  What this means is if you are at fault for the accident the insurance policy will pay up to $250,000 per person or $500,000 per accident if you were to injure any person(s).

All is not lost though! Many insurance companies will also offer what we call umbrella insurance. This gives you extra liability coverage for not only your auto policy but your home as well.  We have a number of companies that offer umbrella insurance that will provide the $2 million liability limit you are requesting.

In regards to your car insurance: if you were to injure the other party and the damage exceeded your auto liability limit, then your umbrella insurance would kick in and potentially pay up to its separate policy limit. So if you purchased a $2 million umbrella with an auto policy, then you would have comparable coverage to what you have in Canada. However, you would still need to have liability insurance on your auto even if it's in storage in order to keep your umbrella insurance policy in place. Umbrella insurance requires that you have a required minimum liability limit on both your auto and your home as it provides excess liability coverage for both.

You can call our agency to get a personalized quote at 888-444-8949 and speak to a licensed insurance advisor. They will be able to assist you with any additional questions, and if all goes well they will be able to get you proof of insurance before you hang up.

Hope this helps!

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

What is Extended Transportation Expenses Coverage?

Basically, this is just another way to describe rental reimbursement coverage (which is part of rental car insurance coverage). What that means is if your vehicle becomes temporarily disabled from an incident that's covered by your policy, this coverage would reimburse you for the transportati…
Feb 22, 2018 Fayetteville, NC

Should I register my vehicle in the state I attend college in?

It depends. Obviously, you want to get the insurance in the state that the car is registered in. If the college student is not listed on their parent's policy, you would need to register the car in the state that you live in for most of the year. If they are listed on their parent's polic…
Sep 24, 2018 Tampa, FL

Can someone else register and insure a vehicle I finance?

Regardless of where you live, if you are financing a vehicle you need to have it registered in your name. You can put the car insurance in someone else's name but insuring a vehicle you don't own can be challenging and you would still need to be listed on the policy. You will also need to…
Apr 7, 2019 Fern Park, FL

Am I covered while I'm moving to a new state?

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident during such a transitional and inconvenient time! I would contact your insurance company in Oregon and talk to the claims department to see if this will be covered. Many companies provide a grace period for you to obtain other insurance while you are mo…
Jul 22, 2022 Atlanta, GA