Ask an Agent
Have another question? Our licensed agents are here to help.
Ask an agent for free

If I move to Florida from Virginia for college, would I have to change my plates and get Florida auto insurance?

I’m a prospective high school student from Virginia looking to go to Florida for college. I do plan on staying in Florida after I graduate college and I’m not sure if Virginia accepts out-of-state auto insurance. So would I need to get Florida auto insurance and change my plates over to Florida when I’m an out-of-state college student? Or would I need to after I graduate college in Florida and when I become a Florida resident?

Jan 16, 2020 Suffolk, VA

Kristine Lee

Jan 16, 2020

Florida law states that if you are in the state for over six months of the year, you need to register and tag the vehicle there. To do so, you will require PIP (as Florida is a no-fault state) and liability insurance. Check out our page on car insurance in Florida to learn more about the state's requirements and average costs. Any time you move between states, you need a new car insurance policy specific to your new address. This includes if you're living away from home as a student.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Related Questions
Other people are also asking...

Does a vehicle need car insurance if its in storage in Virginia?

In Virginia, if a vehicle is not registered, parked on private property, and not being driven then it does not have to be insured. Virginia law requires that a vehicle be insured before it is registered, so that's something to keep in mind if he wanted to drive this particular car at a later time.
Aug 31, 2016 Dumfries, VA

Is there an age limit for a good student discount?

There is no way to say for sure outside of asking your specific insurance company. Most insurance providers that offer good student discounts have stipulations that may make you ineligible due to your age or the fact that you aren't covered on your parent's policy.
Apr 19, 2017 Minneapolis, MN

Should I register my vehicle in the state I attend college in?

It depends. Obviously, you want to get the insurance in the state that the car is registered in.
Sep 24, 2018 Tampa, FL

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Ask an Agent
Have another question? Our licensed agents are here to help.
Ask an agent for free