Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Will insurance pay if a lawnmower threw a rock and dented my car?

I was at a gas station when a lawnmower threw up a rock that dented my car; it wasn't my lawnmower or action that caused this. However, the lawnmower driver is not assuming responsibility, so I'm wondering if I should file a claim with my own insurance company. The damage is over $500. Will I be penalized if I file a claim?

Jul 29, 2019 Spartanburg, SC

Author profile picture

Ross Martin

Insurance Writer

  • 4+ years in the Insurance Industry

Ross joined The Zebra as a writer and researcher in 2019. He specializes in writing insurance content to help shoppers make informed decisions.

Ross h…

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Before you file a claim, you should get an estimate for the damages and determine if it is worth filing a claim after you consider your deductible.

For instance, if the damage is $700 and your deductible is $500, your policy would only pay $200. In this instance, it would not be worth filing a claim because the amount the insurance company would pay is likely less than what your rates would go up without the claim. If you do decide to file a claim, be aware that it will impact your rates as a comprehensive claim. Claims can affect your rate from three to five years after an incident.

There is also a time limit after an incident in which you can file a claim, and every state has different rules about this so it is important to check South Carolina laws to make sure you're still within the time frame.

You'll also want to double-check what type of policy you carry and if there is coverage in the first place. If you only carry minimum liability coverage, this wouldn't be covered by your policy anyway. This particular situation would qualify under comprehensive coverage, but take a look at your policy declarations page for more information. If you have an agent you work with, I'd recommend reaching out to them with specific questions about your policy coverages.

Don't hesitate to reach out if any other questions arise.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Do I qualify for USAA if my brothers are active military members?

Typically, USAA requires customers to be members of the military themselves, although eligibility also extends to the children (or spouse) of military members as well. Therefore, it's our understanding that siblings are likely not eligible to get their own policy. This applies to all branches …
Jun 10, 2020 Greenville, SC

If I backed into a pole in a parking lot, do I need a police report to file a claim?

First off, a police report is not always necessary to file a claim, especially for incidents that only involve one vehicle.As for your second question, should you file a claim, the choice will ultimately be up to you. However, I recommend following the advice below before deciding to file a claim:G…
Aug 11, 2018 Taylorville, IL

If someone keyed my car and I file a claim, will my insurance rates go up?

I'm sorry to hear this happened to your vehicle! I would recommend getting a repair estimate before filing a claim so you've got plenty of information to base your decision on. This damage to your car would be considered an act of vandalism, which falls under comprehensive coverage. Check…
Jan 6, 2022 Plano, TX

Will insurance cover a leak in my car's sunroof?

Insurance will only cover things that are a result of a loss. So if the leak in the sunroof was caused by a covered peril — like damage from bad weather — this would count towards a comprehensive claim. If the leak was caused by wear-and-tear, your insurance will not cover it.While your first compr…
Nov 20, 2019 Oviedo, FL