Only AAA club members can buy car insurance through AAA. The organization offers each primary tier of car insurance necessary to meet state minimums (liability, collision, comprehensive coverage, etc.). Below you'll find average rates as well as some of AAA’s more unique car insurance coverage options for motorists.
Why you can trust The Zebra
The Zebra partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more about how we make money, review our editorial standards, or view a list of our partners.
AAA insurance at a glance
AAA auto insurance review
- The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey — 4.2/5: AAA ranked 13th out of 15 in the overall auto carrier category of The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey.
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Below average: AAA earned below-average marks from J.D. Power in the organization's 2020 claims satisfaction study.
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Average: J.D. Power gave AAA an average customer service satisfaction score in its 2021 study.
- Financial strength (AM Best) — Superior: With an A+ rating from AM Best, AAA is considered financially secure.
- Claims satisfaction (NAIC) — Poor: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) registered more consumer complaints than the national median regarding AAA.
Where is AAA auto insurance available?
AAA car insurance coverage options
AAA auto insurance offers standard coverage options you would expect from a car insurance carrier, including liability coverage (both bodily injury and property damage), comprehensive and collision and uninsured/underinsured coverage. However, the company also offers a number of other endorsements that can be added to your coverage, as well as a number of benefits from being a AAA member. Below, you'll find a variety of unique options offered by AAA, though keep in mind that some options may not be available in every state.
- Accident forgiveness: Depending on your location, this coverage may come standard or be optional. Accident forgiveness through AAA prevents your insurance rates from increasing after your first at-fault accident.
- Extended car rental expenses coverage: Most insurance companies offer rental car coverage that will limit the duration for which your rental costs are covered — even if your vehicle's repairs aren't yet complete. AAA's coverage will pay for your rental car until your vehicle is fixed.
- Pet coverage: If your pet is injured in a car accident, AAA will pay up to $500 to cover veterinary bills.
- 12-month policy: This feature ensures your rate will not change for at least one year.
- New vehicle replacement: If your vehicle is deemed a total loss within the first full year of coverage, AAA will replace it with a new car. Learn more about new car replacement insurance.
- Limited loan/lease payoff: AAA will cover the remaining balance of your loan or lease if your vehicle totaled after a covered crash; this may also be known as gap insurance. This may occur if the claims check is for less than the value of the vehicle due to depreciation.
AAA roadside assistance
AAA is known for its roadside coverage. You can buy it independently or as an add-on to your insurance policy. AAA's roadside assistance service is sold in tiers, with the highest tier awarding the best benefits.
AAA emergency roadside services
|Coverage Detail||Classic Membership||Plus Membership|
|Towing||Up to 7 miles, 4 times a year||Up to 100 miles|
One per household up to 200 miles, remaining tows up to 100 miles
|Emergency fuel services||Free delivery, pay for fuel||Free delivery and fuel|
Free delivery and fuel
|Vehicle lockout||Coverage up to $60||Coverage up to $100|
Coverage up to $150
|Flat tire service||Included||Included||Included|
|Extrication/winching service||One service per year||Two services||Two services|
|Trip interruption||Not included||Not included|
Included up to $1,500
Learn more about how AAA's roadside program compares with other providers.
Unlike other insurance providers, AAA offers non-car-related membership perks. Like AAA's roadside services, these are delineated by tiers.
AAA non-emergency services
|Coverage detail||Classic membership||Plus membership|
|Vehicle registration renewal help||Included||Included|
|Discounts (shopping, dining, hotels, and entertainment)||Included||Included|
|Identity theft protection||Daily monitoring, email alerts, fraud resolution support, loss card protection||Daily monitoring, email alerts, fraud resolution support, loss card protection|
|CARFAX vehicle report discount||20% off CARFAX||20% off CARFAX|
|Vehicle inspection service||Free 40-point, or discount 86-point||Free 40-point, or discount 86-point|
|Rental car benefits||Discounted||Discounted plus one car-class upgrade|
AAA car insurance discounts
Due to the nature AAA membership, a number of discounts exist for qualifying customers. Review common ways to save below.
- Multi-policy discount: If you combine (or bundle) your auto AAA auto policy with a renters, homeowners, condo or life insurance policy, you can earn 9% to 22% off your insurance policy.
- Multi-vehicle: Insuring all your vehicles with AAA can earn you 26% off your premium.
- Advanced purchase: If you pay for your membership fees and premium seven or more days before your current policy’s expiration date, you can save 5%.
- Longevity: If you’ve been with your current provider for three or more uninterrupted years, you can earn a 12% discount when you switch to AAA.
- Paid in full:If you pay the sum of your policy upfront, you can earn a 5% discount.
- Original owner: If you’re the original owner of your vehicle, you earn up to 5% off your premium.
- Good student: If you’re a good student, you could save up to 15% on select coverage options.
- Driver training: If you pass an approved driving course, AAA may drop your premium by as much as 3% on select coverages.
OnBoard is AAA’s telematics program. It measures the way you drive via a mobile app in order to determine your premium. Telematics programs use your actual driving habits — including the distance, speed and ways in which you drive — to calculate the risk that you pose to an insurer.
For cautious drivers, this can often lead to reduced rates, as your insurance company can monitor your driving habits and may choose to reward safe behaviors.
Find the right policy in only a few minutes.
AAA car insurance rates
AAA's pricing structure is slightly different than that of other insurance companies, as clients need to pay membership fees in addition to car insurance premiums.
Rates by company
|Insurance Company||Average Monthly Cost|
Rates by age group
Rates by violation
|Insurance Company||Speeding Ticket||At-Fault Accident||DUI|
Where is AAA auto insurance cheapest?
AAA ranks as one of the more affordable car insurance companies in these five states.
AAA insurance bundling options
AAA offers a variety of coverage types to consumers. The company offers the opportunity to bundle many of these coverages, allowing you to both save money and simplify your insurance payments. Keep in mind that membership may be required in order to obtain some forms of coverage. Have a look at this list of coverage options to what's available from AAA.
Coverages offered by AAA insurance
Weigh your options and get the best value from your next insurance policy.
AAA homeowners insurance review
Along with auto insurance, AAA homeowners insurance is also quite popular. Similar to their auto insurance product, AAA provides homeowners coverage by partnering with a number of carriers. These companies vary by state but include such carriers as Auto Club Indemnity Company and CSAA. To rate AAA's homeowners insurance product, we combined ratings from these two companies in an effort to give an idea of what a AAA homeowners insurance policyholder can expect.
AAA homeowners insurance availability
AAA homeowners insurance is available in 49 states and Washington D.C. (homeowners and renters policies are not available in Louisiana).
- The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey — 4.2/5: AAA ranked 14th in the overall homeowners carrier category of The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey.
- Customer Service (J.D. Power)— Below Average: The average J.D. Power ranking of CSAA and Auto Club of Southern California Insurance group comes in just shy of the average for customer satisfaction.
- Financial Strength (AM Best)— Excellent: With a financial rating of “excellent,” you can rest assured AAA will be able to handle your claims.
- Claims Satisfaction (NAIC) — Fewer complaints than average: The average number of complaints across different branches of AAA homeowners insurance companies is fewer than average.
AAA home insurance coverage options
Home policies are provided through affiliated insurance companies, meaning coverage options can vary by state. In general, homeowners policies through AAA will include standard coverage options such as dwelling, other structures, personal property, liability, medical payments and additional living expenses. Policies are roughly equatable to an HO-3 in perils covered; however, bear in mind that this too can vary by state.
Below you will find a range of possible coverage options that can be added to a AAA homeowners policy.
- Roof surfaces loss settlement: As a way of saving money on your home insurance premiums, this optional roof coverage endorsement instead pays only a percentage of the cost to replace your roof if it is damaged by hail, a windstorm or a hurricane. This percentage is determined by the age of the materials used on your roof.
- Guaranteed rebuilding cost: If your home is destroyed by a covered peril, this optional coverage steps in to cover the full rebuilding cost.
- Scheduled personal property: In the case of high-value items such as jewelry, musical instruments or art, a scheduled endorsement can be added to your coverage.
AAA homeowners insurance discounts
AAA offers a number of ways to save money on homeowners insurance. While discount availability can vary by state, have a look at some of the most widely available homeowners discounts below.
- Claims-free:Being claims-free can save you up to 13% on your policy if you keep a clean claims record for three consecutive years or more.
- Hail-resistant roof:A roof with a high impact resistance rating can potentially save you up to 35%.
- Mature homeowner:Up to 10% off when at least one insured is retired and at least 55 years old or more.
- Newer home:Up to 40% savings depending on the year your home was built.
- Protective device:Up to a 15% savings with an approved and well-maintained burglar alarm, fire alarm or smoke detector.
- Renovated home:Up to 23% savings for major overhauls of your home systems.
AAA home insurance rates
Below you'll find a rundown of the average cost of AAA versus some top competitors. The rates that follow are broken down to the monthly national average. Your actual rates may vary depending on where you live and on factors such as your claims history, credit score and even your age.
|Average Monthly Cost|
Where is AAA homeowners insurance cheapest?
AAA homeowners coverage is among the cheapest options in the following states:
Find an insurance policy quickly and easily.
How to cancel AAA insurance
To cancel your AAA policy, simply stop by your local AAA insurance office or contact a representative at 1-877-387-8378. An agent or a representative can help determine if any early cancellation fees apply or if you are due a refund on already-paid premiums. Be sure that you have a new policy in place before canceling your current coverage.
When canceling your AAA policy, follow these steps:
- Provide your policy number and other customer details
- Request that your contract and any recurring payments be canceled effectively immediately
- Answer any follow-up questions honestly
- Request that a confirmation email be sent
Can I cancel AAA insurance in the middle of my policy term?
Yes. AAA insurance policies can be canceled at any time. It's usually best to cancel your policy near the end of its term, but AAA allows customers to cancel at any point. However, before canceling your coverage, it's crucial that you have another policy in place to avoid gaps in your insurance coverage. Start the process of comparing quotes and obtaining a new policy before terminating your AAA coverage. This can help you avoid spikes in your insurance rates or — in the case of auto insurance — penalties from your state's DMV.
AAA insurance online features
AAA insurance's online features are designed with the modern consumer in mind. Customers can begin the quotes process, make claims and pay their premiums through AAA's easy-to-follow website. Upon entering the site, you will be required to enter your ZIP code, enabling you to be redirected to the AAA club for your area.
AAA also has mobile apps. Have a look at our rundown of the features below.
The Auto Club app gives customers mobile access to a number of helpful features, including insurance policy information, insurance quotes, and online bill pay (both for membership and insurance premiums). This app also is required to take part in AAA's telematics program. On top of policy information, the app also contains the following:
- Hotel and flight booking
- Trip planner
- Traffic conditions
- Battery replacement quotes
- Approved auto repair facilities
- Cheapest gas prices in your area
- Locations of member branch offices
This app is primarily designed with AAA members in mind. Having less to do with car insurance coverage, AAA members have access to useful features such as requesting roadside assistance. Have a look at other features for the AAA Mobile app below.
- Discount information (hotels, restaurants and more)
- Hotel and rental car booking
- AAA approved repair facilities
- Battery replacement quotes
- A scannable, digital membership card that can be added to Passbook
Key customer satisfaction survey findings — AAA
The Zebra conducted a survey with the intention of understanding carriers from a customer's perspective. We asked how each major carrier held up in online experience, claims satisfaction, ease of use, customer service, trustworthiness and willingness to recommend. AAA auto insurance ranked near the bottom in most categories, coming in last on several. The exception of this was for trust, in which AAA ranked 5th place. The company fared better among younger drivers (aged 18-24). In short, AAA auto insurance may be a reasonable choice for some customers, but those looking for overall customer service may look elsewhere.
Among the 15 carriers included in the survey, AAA homeowners insurance ranked quite low across most categories. The exception is claims satisfaction, in which AAA was ranked 6th place.
Customer satisfaction survey results
- AAA ranked 13th for auto insurance and 14th for homeowners insurance
- The company ranked in the lower third of most categories
- Younger respondents rated the auto insurance higher than older drivers
- AAA's best scores came in the "trust" category for both home and auto
AAA vs. competitors
- vs. North Star Mutual
- vs. Safeco
- vs. Safe Auto
- vs. 21st Century
- vs. Erie
- vs. Allstate
- vs. MetLife
- vs. State Farm
- vs. Liberty Mutual
- vs. Progressive
- vs. The General
- vs. Travelers
- vs. Allied
- vs. Nationwide
- vs. Mercury
- vs. USAA
- vs. Esurance
- vs. GEICO
- vs. Foremost
- vs. Farmers
- vs. Amica Mutual Insurance
- vs. The Hartford
- vs. American Family
- vs. Infinity
- vs. Metromile
- vs. Farm Bureau Mutual
Learn more about AAA's insurance offerings at aaa.com.
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.