AAA Insurance Review
- With 4.0/5 stars in 2023, AAA is a good insurance company.
- Read AAA reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
AAA insurance: Ratings and reviews
Only AAA club members can buy car insurance through AAA. The organization offers each primary tier of car insurance necessary to meet state minimums (liability, collision, comprehensive coverage, etc.). Below you'll find average rates as well as some of AAA’s more unique car insurance coverage options for motorists.
The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey
Alongside third-party ratings, we like to include results from our own customer survey. Feedback from real customers indicated which auto insurance companies are the best in multiple categories. While AAA received an overall score of 8.41/10, putting it in 18th place, we did not collect a sufficient amount of data on AAA for it to be included in individual categories.
How much does AAA insurance cost?
Currently, the national average for a 6 month car insurance policy is $880, whereas AAA is about $1394 or roughly 59% more expensive than a typical policy, so definitely not one of the cheapest auto insurance options available.
The table below shows how AAA auto insurance compares against other top insurers.
Similar to any insurance company, pricing for AAA auto insurance does vary based on your age and generally will get cheaper the older you get. The table below shows AAA's car insurance premiums for different age brackets.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
Due to the nature of AAA membership, a number of discounts exist for qualifying customers. Review common ways to save below.
- Advanced purchase: If you pay for your membership fees and premium seven or more days before your current policy’s expiration date, you can save 5%.
- Longevity: If you’ve been with your current provider for three or more uninterrupted years, you can earn a 12% discount when you switch to AAA.
- Paid in full: If you pay the sum of your policy upfront, you can earn a 5% discount.
- Original owner: If you’re the original owner of your vehicle, you earn up to 5% off your premium.
- Good student: If you’re a good student, you could save up to 15% on select coverage options.
Read the full list of AAA car insurance discounts here.
Search, compare and buy all on one site. Start saving today!
What types of coverage does AAA offer?
AAA auto insurance offers standard coverage options you would expect from a car insurance company, including liability coverage (both bodily injury and property damage), comprehensive, collision and uninsured/underinsured coverage.
However, the company also offers a number of other endorsements that can be added to your coverage, as well as a number of benefits from being a AAA member. Below, you'll find a variety of unique options offered by AAA, though keep in mind that some options may not be available in every state.
- Accident forgiveness: Depending on your location, this coverage may come standard or be optional. Accident forgiveness through AAA prevents your insurance rates from increasing after your first at-fault accident.
- 12-month policy: This feature ensures your rate will not change for at least one year.
- New vehicle replacement: If your vehicle is deemed a total loss within the first full year of coverage, AAA will replace it with a new car. Learn more about new car replacement insurance.
- Limited loan/lease payoff: AAA will cover the remaining balance of your loan or lease if your vehicle is totaled after a covered crash; this may also be known as gap insurance. This may occur if the claims check is for less than the value of the vehicle due to depreciation.
More information on AAA's coverage options is available here.
OnBoard is AAA’s telematics program. It measures the way you drive via a mobile app in order to determine your premium. Telematics programs use your actual driving habits — including the distance, speed and ways in which you drive — to calculate the risk that you pose to an insurer.
For cautious drivers, this can often lead to reduced rates, as your insurance company can monitor your driving habits and may choose to reward safe behaviors.
AAA insurance review: Summary
Drivers with basic coverage needs who enjoy extra perks may find AAA to be an adequate choice. Though its average rates are on the high side, AAA offers a long list of discount opportunities that drivers may qualify for to lower their premiums. With different membership tiers and coverage options, The Zebra believes most prospective applicants will find a satisfactory policy with AAA.
Methodology — how The Zebra reviews insurance companies
The team of insurance experts at The Zebra considers the company's standing in five main categories to come up with an overall rating. These metrics are weighted according to importance and are detailed below:
- Price (20%): Using the base profile detailed below, we compared the company's average rate with the national average. If it surpassed this average, we gave a lower rating; if it fell below, we awarded a higher rating.
- Coverage (20%): The highest-scoring companies offer a variety of coverage options, including bundling options, roadside assistance, telematics, beyond-basic coverage levels, and a variety of other coverage types.
- Customer service (30%): We averaged ratings from JD Power, the NAIC complaint index to come up with a rating for the company's customer service. In instances when a company is not rated, we may use alternative rating agencies such as the Better Business Bureau and Trust Pilot.
- Financial strength (10%): We use AM Best to determine a company's financial standing. In some cases when a company is not rated by AM Best, we may use an alternative measure such as Demotech.
- The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey (20%): The Zebra conducts an annual survey measuring customer satisfaction for many of the top insurance companies with the goal of ranking both the best auto insurance companies and best home insurance companies. Read more below.
For our auto insurance review, we analyzed more than 83 million insurance rates spanning every U.S. ZIP code using a sample user profile: a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord, good credit and full coverage at these levels:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per incident for property damage liability
- $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive coverage
For our home insurance review, rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
These sample premiums are dynamic and automatically refresh whenever the newest data is made available.
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted this profile based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies. These factors include credit score, coverage level and others.
For The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2023.
AAA insurance: Frequently asked questions
Is Auto Club (AAA) a good insurance company?
AAA can be a good insurance company for drivers seeking basic coverage with extra perks, although it tends to have higher average rates, despite the extensive list of available discounts that can help lower premiums. While AAA has a low claims satisfaction rating, J.D. Power rated it highly for overall customer satisfaction.
Why is AAA insurance so expensive?
If your AAA rates have increased and you haven't filed a claim or committed a traffic violation, it could be related to the rising costs for insurance companies. If you feel you're paying too much for AAA insurance, we recommend you compare quotes from other companies to see if you can get a better rate.
Does AAA cover rental car insurance?
Yes, AAA auto policies can cover a rental car when it temporarily replaces your insured car or is used for short-term leisure purposes within the U.S. with the rental company's permission, and it applies to you and listed drivers on your policy.
Does AAA offer travel insurance?
Yes, AAA offers travel insurance that can help cover medical emergencies, lost luggage, and travel cancellations and delays.
Get quotes from 100+ companies with The Zebra!
Customer Questions about AAA
Other people are also asking...
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance editorial content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.