Why you can trust The Zebra
The Zebra partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more about how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference our data methodology, or view a list of our partners.
Mercury Insurance review for 2021
Based in Los Angeles, Mercury is a multiple-line insurance company that places its focus on auto and homeowners insurance. Its founder, George Joseph, was a veteran in the insurance industry before founding Mercury Insurance in 1961. The company quickly expanded outside of California to offer coverage in 10 other states: Arizona, Nevada, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia, New Jersey, and New York.
Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Poor: Mercury earn a poor rating in J.D. Power's 2020 Claims Satisfaction Study.
Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Poor: J.D. Power rates Mercury below-average in overall customer satisfaction for 2021.
Financial strength — Superior: This rating from AM Best indicates Mercury's superior financial health ensures a very reliable ability to pay out insurance claims.
NAIC Rating — Above average: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners received fewer complaints than average regarding Mercury in 2020.
Mercury car insurance coverage options
Mercury offers the standard suite of coverage options offered by typical auto insurance companies: comprehensive, collision, liability, medical payments, personal injury protection (PIP), uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, and roadside assistance. Additional coverage options are detailed below.
Rental car coverage
A very common addition to car insurance coverage plans, this covers rental car expenses up to the limit in the event your vehicle is out-of-commission for repairs following a covered accident. Coverage limits range from $30 to $100 per day for up to 30 days.
If you drive for a rideshare company, like Uber and Lyft, this offers additional coverage for the driver and passengers. Since your personal auto insurance policy will not cover commercial driving, rideshare insurance is a sensible option to opt-in for if you're a rideshare driver.
Mercury insurance discounts and reward programs
Some standard discounts are offered by Mercury, and it's always smart to look into those for which you qualify. Keep in mind these discounts may vary by location.
Discounts based on your policy
- Multi-policy: Bundle multiple policies from Mercury, like auto and homeowners, and you can get up to 15% off.
Discounts based on the driver or vehicle
- Multi-car: Add an additional car or two on the same policy to qualify for some savings via a multi-car discount.
- Good driver: If you have a clean driving record, you might be eligible for a good driver discount on your Mercury insurance policy.
- Good student: Get a student discount if you maintain at least a 3.0 GPA in high school or college.
- Occupational: Depending on your occupation, it may be possible to get a discount based on your job or career.
- Autopay: Enroll in automatic payments to see some savings off your premium.
- E-signature: You might be eligible for a discount if you sign your Mercury documents with an e-signature.
- Anti-theft feature: If your car comes with anti-theft devices or features, this discount may apply to your policy.
- RealDrive® program: Get an introductory 5% off by enrolling in this program, which determines your rate based on the mileage you report to Mercury.
Mercury car insurance mobile app
All Mercury auto insurance customers can access Mercury's mobile app (available for Apple and Android) to manage their account and policy. Like many insurance company smartphone apps, it allows Mercury policyholders to:
- Access digital insurance ID cards
- Pay bills
- Summon roadside assistance
- Get in contact with an agent or customer service
Additional lines of insurance
Mercury offers multiple lines of insurance although they're mostly known for car and homeowners insurance.
Is Mercury car insurance right for you?
Offering an array of traditional coverage options, Mercury might be a good option if you don't need anything more than the typical car insurance policy. Mercury's auto insurance discounts are also quite standard versus other insurance companies.
But does Mercury offer affordable car insurance with competitive rates? Because there are so many factors taken into consideration by auto insurers when determining insurance premiums, it's imperative to shop around for quotes as much as possible when it's time to renew. We can help you find the best rate — enter your ZIP code below to compare insurance quotes from Mercury and dozens of other car insurance companies and find a budget-friendly premium that satisfies all your coverage needs.