The Hartford Insurance Review
- With 4.5/5 stars in 2023, The Hartford is an excellent insurance company.
- Read The Hartford reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
The Hartford insurance at a glance
The Hartford insurance review
The Hartford is an insurance company that provides an array of coverage options. The Hartford — which caters primarily to drivers aged 50 and older — partners with AARP to offer special benefits to the organization's members. JD Power rates The Hartford as below average in overall client satisfaction, but the company's financial strength is high. The company has a low complaint ratio, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Let’s check out some of the insurance policies and options available through The Hartford, including discounts and customer reviews.
Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Excellent: The Hartford was among the top-rated companies in J.D. Power's 2021 evaluation of auto insurance claims satisfaction.
Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Above average: J.D. Power rated The Hartford better-than-average in terms of overall customer satisfaction.
Financial strength — Excellent: A financial strength rating of “Excellent” — assigned by AM Best — means The Hartford’s ability to pay out claims is strong.
NAIC Rating — About average: The NAIC received about an average number of complaints regarding The Hartford in its most recent accounting.
The Hartford car insurance Advantage Program options
While The Hartford offers basic auto insurance coverage options like liability insurance, uninsured motorist coverage, and comprehensive, it also provides unique coverage options and exclusive benefits.
The Hartford guarantees your car insurance coverage will be renewed so long as you meet certain requirements (making on-time payments, holding a valid driver’s license, etc.).
Instead of changing insurance rates every six months like many other companies, The Hartford locks in its rates for a full year. You won’t see unexpected rate changes in the middle of your policy.
If you are injured in an auto accident and end up unable to perform essential home services, The Hartford offers the chance for reimbursement. This includes reimbursement for things like house cleaning, food preparation, and dog walking.
This coverage provides a replacement car if your vehicle is totaled within the first 15 months or 15,000 miles after purchase. The Hartford will replace your vehicle with a car of the same make, model, and equipment, and will not deduct for depreciation.
If you go through a repair shop authorized by The Hartford for repairs after a claim, they will cover the cost of this work for as long as you own the vehicle.
An auto insurance policy through The Hartford includes access to team members available day and night to help you file claims.
The Hartford Advantage Plus Program benefits
The Advantage Plus Program provides customers with extra car insurance coverage.
First accident forgiveness
If the drivers on your auto policy have a full five years of clean driving, you will qualify for accident forgiveness. This means your first accident will be forgiven and you won’t face an increase in your premiums.
If you keep a clean driving record, you can expect to see your collision coverage deductible drop (as low as $0). Learn more about vanishing deductibles.
If you file a claim for a loss that affects multiple vehicles covered by the same policy, or if your home and auto are bundled and both affected by the same loss, then you will pay only one deductible.
Deductible waived for a not-at-fault-accident
If you are in a car accident and not found to be at fault, The Hartford will, in many cases, waive the collision deductible.
Compare quotes from over 100 providers.
How much does auto coverage through The Hartford cost?
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
|Accident/Violation||Avg. Monthly Premium|
|At-fault accident - greater than $2000||$439|
|Speeding 16 - 20 MPH over limit||$323|
The Hartford insurance discounts
Because The Hartford partners directly with AARP, members of the organization can expect special benefits just for signing up. However, there are many other ways to save on an auto insurance policy through The Hartford. Have a look at some of the other discounts that The Hartford offers its policyholders.
Discounts related to the driver
- Good student: If there is a driver on the policy who is a full-time student between the ages of 16 and 25 who maintains a B average or higher (3.0 on a 4.0 scale), you could receive a car insurance discount.
- Driver training: In most states, drivers younger than 21 may receive a discounted policy after the completion of approved driver training courses.
- Defensive driver course: Complete a defensive driving course to be eligible for this discount.
Discounts related to your vehicle
- Anti-theft device: This allows you to save money on comprehensive coverage through The Hartford.
- Airbags: Save even more money with a vehicle with multiple airbags.
- Fuel type: Hybrid and electric cars receive extra discounts via The Hartford auto insurance.
- Bundling: The Hartford offers many types of insurance coverage, and gives a discount for bundling coverages like home and auto, saving you upwards of 5% on car insurance and as much as 20% on homeowners insurance, condo insurance, or renters insurance.
- Paid-in-full discount: Get an additional discount for paying your bill in full.
Additional lines of insurance
How much does homeowners coverage cost from The Hartford?
As noted above, The Hartford offers several other options as far as property coverage if you're looking to bundle auto and home policies. Compare the average rates of homeowners insurance from The Hartford with other top competitors.
Homeowners insurance data methodology
The homeowners insurance rates published in this guide are based on The Zebra's analysis of the cost of home insurance in every U.S. ZIP code. These rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted the homeowner profile based on common pricing factors used by major home insurance companies. These factors include location, coverage limits, claims record and others.
Is The Hartford the right insurance company for you?
If you are a member of AARP, The Hartford could be a good option, especially when you consider the higher premiums many insurance companies impose on drivers of advancing age. However, younger drivers may not find the policies as beneficial. With its strong history and reputation for ethical practices, The Hartford is certainly a strong choice for auto and home insurance.
The Hartford's premium costs vary by driver and location. If you're hunting for the cheapest car insurance, it pays to shop around. With The Zebra, you can receive accurate quotes based on your individual driving profile. Enter your ZIP code below to get started on the path to finding the coverage that’s best for you.
Weigh your options and get the best value from your next insurance policy.
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.