Headquartered in California, Farmers Insurance is a highly reputable provider of car insurance that has been in business since 1880. On average, the company's auto insurance policies are roughly on par with major insurers in regard to price and option availability. Read on to find out more about these coverage options and what you can expect as a potential Farmers Insurance policyholder.
Farmers Insurance at a glance
Farmers car insurance review
Where is Farmers car insurance available?
Farmers car insurance policies can be purchased in the states listed below. However, because of the reach of the Farmers Insurance Group, even drivers in states where Farmers isn't available may be able to find a policy through one of the company's subsidiaries. For instance, while Farmers has a website for Hawaii car insurance, policies appear to be fulfilled by 21st Century Insurance.
Farmers car insurance
Farmers car insurance coverage options
Farmers auto insurance coverage includes basic state-mandated liability coverages, as well as comprehensive and collision coverage, personal injury protection (in certain states), medical payments, uninsured motorist coverage and more. Read on to find out more about Farmers' more unique coverage options.
Towing and roadside assistance coverage
Towing and roadside assistance coverage are optional insurance policy add-ons. With Farmers 24/7 roadside assistance coverage, you can get help under the following circumstances:
- Flat tire change
- Locksmith services
- Roadside winching
- Towing services to the nearest qualifying mechanic
- Police, fire or medical assistance connection
If you’ve stayed accident-free for three years, Farmers will overlook your first at-fault accident. Learn more about accident forgiveness.
Loss of use
If your vehicle isn’t driveable as a result of a covered loss, Farmers will reimburse you for expenditures related to cabs, public transit or a rental vehicle. This is part of Farmers' collision or comprehensive coverage.
Car rental reimbursement
If your vehicle is deemed undrivable, this insurance coverage will pay for you to use a rental vehicle. This coverage applies for up to 30 days.
Customized equipment coverage
If you have modified your vehicle, you can add this coverage to replace these upgraded parts in the event of a covered loss. This coverage could protect add-ons like speakers or alloy wheels.
If you have a crack in your windshield, Farmers will help you replace or repair the damage.
Original equipment manufacturer (OEM)
With this coverage, any new parts to your coverage will be replaced with the original manufactured parts. You must maintain collision and comprehensive coverages for this feature to apply, and your vehicle must be less than 10 years old.
If you’re driving for Lyft or Uber, Farmers strongly recommends adding rideshare insurance to your policy to ensure your vehicle is fully protected. This coverage will extend your Farmers coverage to the time you spend driving around, waiting for a ride request.
Find the right coverage at the right price.
Farmers car insurance discounts and reward programs
Farmers has a few state-specific discounts and rewards programs. Speak to a Farmers agent near you to see if these programs are available in your location.
- Multi-policy discount: If you have more than one Farmers policy, you can earn a multi-policy discount.
- Good driver discount: If you’ve avoided collisions for three to five years, you could earn a good driver discount on your Farmers auto policy.
- Good student discount: If you or a driver on your policy has a GPA of 3.0 or better and is under the age of 25, you can earn a good student discount.
- Homeowner discount: Depending on where you live, you can earn a small discount for your homeowner status with Farmers.
- Affinity/membership discount: Certain occupations can receive a discount on a Farmers policy. Proof of occupation is usually required. This discount is subject to state regulations.
Farmers insurance telematics apps
Signal is Farmers' primary telematics program for personal auto policies. This program uses a mobile app to gauge the way you drive and more accurately price your insurance premium. It looks at the frequency of hard braking, excessive speeds and distracted driving habits to determine your premium. Signal by Farmers is not available in every location.
Farmers also offers FairMile, a telematics program for small businesses who are insured under a commercial auto policy. FairMile is also usage-based and works through a smartphone app and plug-in device that is installed in each business vehicle. With this program, premiums are based on miles driven in each vehicle, and premiums are adjusted each month to reflect actual miles driven compared to the mileage amount estimated at inception. This program is currently only available in Washington.
How much does Farmers car insurance cost?
We used our methodology to compare average monthly rates from Farmers to see how it compares to other companies and the national average.
|Insurance Company||Average Monthly Cost|
|Insurance Company||Speeding Ticket||At-Fault Accident||DUI|
Where is Farmers auto insurance cheapest?
Farmers Insurance ranks as one of the top three cheapest car insurance companies in these states.
Get customized quotes today.
Farmers homeowners insurance review
Farmers Insurance is one of the larger home insurance companies by market share in the United States. The company has expanded its home coverage in recent years and now provides coverage to a majority of U.S. states. The company generally receives positive ratings, including The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey. Both of its home and auto offerings have fewer complaints than average as reported by the NAIC.
Overall, the company provides a number of good options for most homeowners, though your experience may depend on your personal insurance agent and your individual circumstances. Let's take a look at what potential customers can expect from a Farmers home insurance policy, including customer satisfaction and the types of coverage they offer.
The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey – 4.3/5: Farmer home insurance ranked seventh overall among the 15 carriers surveyed.
J.D. Power Rating — Above average: J.D. Power's 2021 property claims study assessed Farmers as slightly above the industry average for claims satisfaction.
Financial strength — Excellent: Measured by A.M. Best, Farmers Insurance has a strong financial outlook.
NAIC Rating — Above average: Far fewer complaints were logged by the NAIC regarding the Farmers Insurance home insurance offering, putting this company well below the national complaint index.
Where is Farmers homeowners insurance available?
The company has expanded into new markets in recent years, meaning that these states could potentially see Farmers Insurance moving into their states sometime in the near future.
Farmers home insurance
Farmers home insurance options
Farmers home insurance offers a number of options for policyholders under their Smart Plan Home coverage. In general, coverage is split into three tiers. While all of them cover standard home insurance coverages like dwelling, other structures, personal property, medical payments, personal liability and additional living expenses, each will vary in its coverage levels and features.
- Standard: The company states that this is a good coverage option for first-time homeowners with a moderately priced home. This package provides standard coverage only with the most affordable rates.
- Enhanced: Those looking to expand their coverage beyond standard should look into this medium tier of coverage.
- Premier: This package includes the highest level of coverage with higher limits and expanded coverage options. This includes guaranteed replacement cost coverage (note: this package is not available to California homeowners where customers may be eligible for Farmers Next Generation®).
Other home insurance options
For homeowners looking for insurance options beyond standard coverage, Farmers offers the following additional endorsements.
Eco Rebuild coverage
You can receive up to $25,000 to cover extra costs for eco-friendly products, appliances or building materials.
Contents replacement cost coverage
Your personal property coverage allows you to replace your possessions without factoring in depreciation. This means that you will get new items of a similar quality instead of the depreciated value of your older belongings.
Farmers Identity Shield
If you are a victim of identity theft, this coverage helps with replacing important documents and can help with investigating the crime.
Home insurance benefits and discounts
Farmers Insurance offers a few different homeowners insurance discounts. Eligible policyholders should look into the following ways to save money on home insurance rates:
- Declining deductibles: Farmers policyholders can earn a $50 deductible reduction for each year that they continue their policy.
- Claims free discount: This discount is available for those who have gone three years without making a homeowners claim.
- Claim forgiveness: After five continuous years of coverage with Farmers, policyholders filing a claim will not see a rise in their home insurance rates.
- Cosmetic damage: When part of your home suffers functional damage (damage that affects your home’s structure or the lifespan of certain elements of your house), your Farmers policy will also cover related cosmetic damages as well.
- Non-smokers discount: If no members of your household have been smokers in the past two years, you could be eligible for a discount.
- Home security discount: Making your home more secure can lead to better pricing. Changes you can make to increase security and safety include adding deadbolts, fire alarms, or monitored security systems.
- Policy bundling discount: Bundling your auto, home, life, business and umbrella insurance can lead to savings.
- Profession-based discounts: Farmers customers may qualify for a discount based on their profession. Doctors, nurses, teachers, dentists, police officers, military personnel and firefighters may be eligible to save on their homeowners insurance policy.
Specialty homeowners insurance options
Not all homes are lived in by their owners — at least not full time. Farmers Insurance offers the following coverage options designed for such homes, including the following:
Affordable insurance is just a few clicks away.
How much does Farmers home insurance cost?
See how average rates from Farmers Insurance compare to other popular home insurance companies. The rates below are based on the national average of what consumers pay per month for homeowners coverage.
|Insurance Company||Average Monthly Cost|
Where is Farmers homeowners insurance cheapest?
There are nine states in which Farmers Insurance is among the top three cheapest options for homeowners insurance:
Key customer satisfaction survey findings — Farmers
The Zebra conducted a survey with the intention of understanding carriers from a customer's perspective. We asked how each major carrier held up in online experience, claims satisfaction, ease of use, customer service, trustworthiness and willingness to recommend.
Farmers auto insurance ranked in the lower portion of companies that we surveyed, coming in at number 10 overall. The exception was among younger drivers. Those who fall in Gen Z ranked Farmers among the top five carriers for a number of categories. Similarly, female respondents rated the company highly for claims and online satisfaction.
Farmers ranked higher for its homeowners coverage, coming in at number seven. Similar to Farmers auto coverage, female respondents rated the coverage more favorably in general. The company also cracked the top three carriers for online satisfaction for those in the Boomer generation.
Findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2021.
- Farmers homeowners coverage ranked more favorably than their auto coverage
- Female respondents were overall more positive in their ratings for both home and auto coverage
- Younger drivers rated Farmers auto coverage more favorably, while respondents in the Boomer generation were more favorable to Farmers homeowners coverage
How to cancel a Farmers Insurance policy
Cancellations must be completed by calling Farmers' customer service line at 1-888-327-6335. If you have a local Farmers agent, you can also cancel your policy through them by phone or in person. Depending on where you live, canceling an insurance policy could lead to cancellation fees or — in some cases — a refund.
Can I cancel my Farmers policy online?
Farmers doesn't allow online policy cancellations. Cancellations can be requested through your local agent or by calling 1-888-327-6335 and speaking to a representative.
Farmers Insurance Group subsidiaries
While Farmers itself is owned by the Zurich Insurance Group, Farmers owns a number of smaller insurance companies to diversify its product offerings. Below are a few of Farmers' most popular subsidiaries.
Farmers online features and app
The Farmers Insurance website can generate quotes for home, auto and many other lines of insurance. The interface is easy to navigate and helpful insurance content is easy to find. Further features of the site include:
- Quotes for bundling auto insurance with home, condo, renters or life insurance
- File and manage claims
- Manage your account: Bill pay, view policy documents, acquire proof of insurance cards
- Finding local agents
The Farmers Insurance mobile app is available on both Apple and Android platforms and provides similar functionality to the website, giving policyholders the following options:
- Manage billing
- File claims
- Request roadside assistance
- View policy documents
- Access digital insurance ID cards
The Farmers Signal telematics app is also available for download, allowing drivers to enroll in the Farmers Insurance telematics program for possible discounts.
Compare Farmers with competitors
- vs. 21st Century
- vs. Allied
- vs. Allstate
- vs. American Family
- vs. Amica Mutual Insurance
- vs. Auto Club (AAA)
- vs. Erie
- vs. Esurance
- vs. Farm Bureau Mutual
- vs. GEICO
- vs. Infinity
- vs. Liberty Mutual
- vs. Mercury
- vs. MetLife
- vs. Nationwide
- vs. North Star Mutual
- vs. Progressive
- vs. Safe Auto
- vs. Safeco
- vs. The General
- vs. The Hartford
- vs. Travelers
- vs. USAA
Learn more about Farmers at farmers.com.
Get the protection you need at the best price.
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We’re an independent, unbiased partner for consumers, on a mission to help you compare insurance options apples-to-apples, so you can make a truly informed decision. We’re proud because:
- We're the first to compare all the major insurance companies side-by-side. The information provided on those insurers here is intended to help inform and educate consumers before they decide where to spend their hard-earned cash.
- We have no stake in which insurance company you choose — we simply want to offer you unbiased, fast, side-by-side comparisons of your insurance options.
- The rates you receive — and which companies you see — when comparing quotes via The Zebra's comparison tool are subject to the information you provide, and may not match those displayed on this page.