American National Insurance Review
- With 3.1/5 stars in 2023, American National is an average insurance company.
- Read American National reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
American National insurance: Ratings and reviews
American National Insurance Company is an insurance provider offering auto policies in every state and Puerto Rico. This unbiased review aims to present a fair assessment of what potential customers can expect when considering American National for their car insurance needs. The company has been in the insurance industry for over 100 years, offering a range of insurance and financial products for both personal and business needs.
Available in all 50 states and Puerto Rico
A variety of discount options
Comprehensive coverage options including standard and optional add-ons.
Online quote system may not be as robust compared to larger insurers
Mixed customer service reviews
In addition to third-party ratings, we like to incorporate the results from our own consumer survey where we ranked which auto insurance companies are the best based on feedback from real customers. However, we did not collect a sufficient amount of data on American National for it to be included.
How much does American National insurance cost?
Currently, the national average for a 6 month car insurance policy is $880, whereas American National is about $570 or roughly 35% cheaper than a typical policy, so it may be one of the cheapest auto insurance options available, depending on your individual rating factors.
The cost of an American National car insurance policy varies based on factors such as the driver's history, vehicle, and location. It's always recommended to obtain a personalized quote for the most accurate pricing.
The table below shows how American National auto insurance compares against other top insurers.
Like with other insurance companies, pricing for American National auto insurance does vary based on your age and generally will get cheaper the older you get.
The table below shows American National's car insurance premiums for different age brackets.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
Auto insurance discounts are dependent on certain qualifications and state availability. Here are two common ways to save money with your policy from American National.
- Multi-policy - If you bundle your auto insurance with another product, you'll likely see savings. If you have policies for auto, home, and life with American National, expect to save even more.
- Claim-free rewards - If you carry both home and auto insurance with American National and remain claim-free for three consecutive years, the company will actually send you a check for a percentage of your paid premiums. If you continue to remain claim-free each year, you'll get a check each year! This may not be available in all states, however.
In addition to what's listed above, American National may offer other driver-based discounts, but you'll want to reach out to an agent to check availability and qualifications.
Search, compare and buy all on one site. Start saving today!
What types of coverage does American National offer?
Another key component of American National's review is the types of coverage options they offer.
American National offers a variety of coverage options including liability, collision, comprehensive, personal injury protection, and uninsured motorist coverage. They also offer optional coverages such as:
- Roadside assistance - As an added option to your policy, this provides help 24/7 if you're unable to drive due to a lock-out, flat tire, or other roadside emergency.
- Gap coverage - This helps cover the "gap" between what your car is worth and what you still owe on a loan if your vehicle were to be totaled in an accident.
- Added coverage endorsement - This helps cover replacement parts on damaged vehicles.
Read more about American National's coverages here.
What other products does American National offer?
American National is much more than car insurance, and its work with other financial products sets it apart from some other companies. A few of American National's other areas of expertise are:
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Equine professionals insurance
- Country estate insurance
- Mortgage loans and real estate
- Pension risk transfer
For more about the specialty services that American National offers, click here.
Real-life customer experience
We went in search of feedback and experiences from real customers to help evaluate American National for this review, and here is what Ashley had to share about her insurer.
- Customer since 2022 (1 year)
- Has policies for a home, two vehicles, and two electric bicycles
- Has never filed a claim
Q: How do you feel about the coverage level American National provides, your monthly premiums, and the overall level of customer service provided?
A: We haven't had any claims (yet) but overall, it has been good. Finding insurance that covers e-bikes was hard. Our previous insurer kept bouncing us back and forth between homeowner and motorcycle. Because they aren't registered, they aren't motorcycles; but because it has a motor it's not a regular bicycle. It was a huge pain to find coverage. Some people see "bicycles covered" in a policy but don't read the details of what that means. We went with American National because of the e-bikes, and then we got everything else bundled for convenience.
Q: On a scale of 1 to 5 (five being the best), how would you score your experience with your carrier?
A: 5; We chose American National because the home insurance covers our e-bikes, and the price is acceptable. We go to a local office and enjoy the face to face communication.
American National insurance review: Summary
American National is a national insurer offering comprehensive car insurance across the U.S. Their offerings are diverse with a number of discount options, providing potential value for a wide variety of customers. However, mixed customer service reviews and a potentially less robust online quote system might be downsides for some. As always, potential customers should compare quotes and consider their specific needs before making a final decision.
Methodology — how The Zebra reviews insurance companies
The team of insurance experts at The Zebra considers the company's standing in five main categories to come up with an overall rating. These metrics are weighted according to importance and are detailed below:
- Price (20%): Using the base profile detailed below, we compared the company's average rate with the national average. If it surpassed this average, we gave a lower rating; if it fell below, we awarded a higher rating.
- Coverage (20%): The highest-scoring companies offer a variety of coverage options, including bundling options, roadside assistance, telematics, beyond-basic coverage levels, and a variety of other coverage types.
- Customer service (30%): We averaged ratings from JD Power, the NAIC complaint index to come up with a rating for the company's customer service. In instances when a company is not rated, we may use alternative rating agencies such as the Better Business Bureau and Trust Pilot.
- Financial strength (10%): We use AM Best to determine a company's financial standing. In some cases when a company is not rated by AM Best, we may use an alternative measure such as Demotech.
- The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey (20%): The Zebra conducts an annual survey measuring customer satisfaction for many of the top insurance companies with the goal of ranking both the best auto insurance companies and best home insurance companies. Read more below.
For our auto insurance review, we analyzed more than 83 million insurance rates spanning every U.S. ZIP code using a sample user profile: a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord, good credit and full coverage at these levels:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per incident for property damage liability
- $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive coverage
For our home insurance review, rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
These sample premiums are dynamic and automatically refresh whenever the newest data is made available.
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted this profile based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies. These factors include credit score, coverage level and others.
For The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2023.
American National insurance: Frequently asked questions
Is American National a good insurance company?
American National Insurance is a good insurance company for individuals across the US and Puerto Rico, offering comprehensive car insurance coverage and a range of discounts that cater to various needs. American National Insurance may not be the best choice for those who prioritize top-rated customer service or expect the most advanced online quote system.
What happened to American National?
Brookfield Reinsurance purchased American National Group in 2022. American National still sells several lines of insurance across the US.
What types of insurance does American National offer?
American National offers auto, home, life, and business insurance.
In what states does American National sell insurance?
True to its name, American National sells insurance in all fifty states and Puerto Rico.
Get quotes from 100+ companies with The Zebra!