Kemper Insurance Review
- With 3.25/5 stars in 2023, Kemper is an average insurance company.
- Read Kemper reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
Kemper Insurance at a glance
Respondents in The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey selected Kemper as the top insurance company for homeowners claims satisfaction.
Kemper car insurance review
Founded in 1990 as Unitrin until acquiring the rights to the Kemper name in 2010, Kemper Insurance is licensed to sell insurance in 28 states in the United States. Compared to some of the giants of the insurance industry, it is a smaller operation but it doesn’t prevent Kemper from offering competitive rates for all kinds of drivers, including those who could be considered high-risk by other insurance companies.
Read on for our comprehensive review of Kemper’s insurance coverage options — both auto and home — along with discounts, to see if it's a good fit for your insurance needs.
- The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey — 4.1/5: While Kemper ranked lower than some competitors in our survey, it maintained a star rating of 3.9 or better in every category.
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Poor: Kemper placed last among major insurance companies in J.D. Power's 2021 claims satisfaction survey.
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Not rated
- Financial Strength — Excellent: AM Best gave Kemper's fiscal backing an A- rating. This indicates a strong ability to pay out claims.
- NAIC Rating — Poor: Kemper received more customer complaints than the national market median according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Where is Kemper car insurance available?
|Insurance company||Available States|
|Kemper||AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, NV, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA and WI|
Kemper car insurance coverage options
Along with standard coverages like comprehensive, collision, liability, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist, Kemper allows its customers to tailor their policies to meet their needs. Below are some optional extras that can be added to a Kemper insurance policy.
If you’re involved in an accident that caused significant damage to your vehicle, this coverage will pay out according to your car’s replacement value instead of the standard actual cash value (ACV), which may be less than you expect due to depreciation. Kemper will either pay to repair the damage or replace your vehicle — whichever costs less. The only caveat is that this coverage is only available for brand new cars that are leased or purchased.
Sometimes known as auto loan/lease coverage, gap coverage ensures you’re not left financially underwater following a total loss. It will cover the outstanding amount on your vehicle loan or lease if the payout — based on ACV — won’t cover the full amount you owe. Gap insurance is automatically included if you opt into Kemper Total™.
Get optional — but useful — coverages, like accident forgiveness, trip interruption coverage, key replacement, personal property protection, diminishing deductible and a deductible waiver (if your parked car is damaged), rolled into one package.
Protect your car with the right coverage at the best value.
Kemper auto insurance discounts and reward opportunities
The discounts offered by Kemper are not much different from those available from other larger insurance providers.
Keep in mind discounts may vary depending on your state and whether or not you’re considered a preferred, standard, or non-standard customer.
Discounts based on your insurance policy
- Multi-policy: Sign up for more than just one policy to get a discount. Kemper offers an auto and homeowners bundle called Package Plus that includes extended home coverage and the convenience of having your insurance on one invoice.
- Paid-in-full: Get this discount by paying in one lump sum for the entire policy period.
- Prior insurance: Kemper offers a discount for non-standard policyholders who maintain active insurance and don’t let it lapse.
- Advanced quote discount: If you receive a quote and choose to move forward with an application before the effective date listed in the quote, you will receive a discount.
Discounts based on the driver or vehicle
- Multi-car: Have more than one vehicle on your policy to qualify for this common discount.
- Military discount: Active duty military and members of the National Guard are eligible for this discount.
- Good student: Keep up the good grades to be rewarded with a student discount.
- Driver training: Take an approved defensive driving course to see some savings on your premium.
- Residence: Homeowners and those with renters insurance policies are eligible for some savings on their Kemper auto policy.
Kemper mobile app
The Kemper mobile app is available for Apple and Android smartphone devices, where policyholders can make payments, display ID cards, find preferred repair shops, or submit claims information. This application is only available for auto policies.
Kemper Insurance bundling options
Kemper homeowners insurance review
Offering homeowners insurance in 28 states, Kemper provides home insurance at three tiers of protection. Kemper homeowners insurance includes standard home coverages, including protection for your home and detached structures, personal property, liability coverage in case you damage someone else’s property or you’re liable for someone’s injury, additional living expenses if you’re temporarily displaced from your home due to a covered loss.
Kemper’s coverage tiers include the following:
Kemper Prime Home Essentials
This package provides essential coverage for your home and possessions. You can always broaden your coverage by adding endorsements, including personal property replacement cost, water backup, equipment breakdown, and more.
Kemper Prime Home Enhanced
This package includes all of the coverages from the Home Essentials level with some higher limits. It automatically includes coverages such as water backup, personal property replacement cost, and identity fraud expense.
Kemper Prime Home Elite
The highest tier offers the broadest and deepest coverage and features all the insurance benefits of the Home Enhanced product along with higher limits in some coverage categories.
- The Zebra Customer satisfaction Survey — 4.0/5: Respondents in The Zebra's survey gave Kemper home insurance an overall star rating of 4.0.
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Not rated
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Not rated
- Financial Strength—Excellent: AM Best gave Kemper's financial status an A- rating. This indicates a strong ability to pay out claims.
- NAIC rating— Poor: Kemper received more customer complaints than the national market median according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Kemper home insurance coverage options
Available as endorsements to your home insurance policy, Kemper offers extra coverage for several optional protections:
- Identity theft protection
- Scheduled personal property: You can list specific items of exceptional value on your policy to be covered by your homeowners insurance.
- Blanket personal property: You can group a number of lesser-valued items together — like jewelry, golf equipment, and collectibles — to provide protection under your homeowners policy.
- Equipment breakdown: Protect important household appliances with this optional coverage
Kemper homeowners insurance discounts
Kemper lists four discounts for homeowners insurance on its website:
- Package discount: Insuring both auto and home with Kemper will earn you a discount.
- Military discount: As offered with auto policies, military members receive a discount on home insurance premiums. Junior and Senior Cadets at military academies are also eligible for this.
- Home safety: This discount activates if you have installed a whole house water leak protection or automatic gas shutoff.
- Protective devices: Alarms and various detectors installed in your home will qualify you for this discount.
Get personalized insurance rates in less than 5 minutes.
Key Customer Satisfaction Survey findings — Kemper
The Zebra conducted a survey with the intention of understanding carriers from a customer's perspective. We asked how each major carrier held up in online experience, claims satisfaction, ease of use, customer service, trustworthiness and willingness to recommend.
Kemper auto insurance ranked low in almost every category for car insurance. However, they always received a star rating of 4.0 or above, indicating that while they did not stack up strongly against the other carriers listed in the survey, they maintained a star rating above 4.0 from respondents.
Kemper home also placed in the last few spots for most categories. Again, star ratings always remained above a 3.9, telling us that other carriers may have ranked higher but Kemper still provided a level of service worthy of a 4-star rating.
Findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2021.
- Kemper placed very poorly in auto carrier scores in all categories.
- Male respondents preferred Kemper auto over females.
- Renters rated Kemper auto more highly than homeowners did.
- Drivers with histories of speeding rated Kemper suto highly across the board.
- Kemper home came in last in all overal home categories.
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.