Kemper Insurance Review 2020
Founded in 1990 as Unitrin until acquiring Kemper in 2010, Kemper Insurance is licensed to sell insurance across the United States. Compared to some of the giants of the insurance industry, it is a smaller operation but it doesn’t prevent Kemper from offering competitive rates for all kinds of drivers, including those who could be considered high-risk by other insurance companies.
Read on for our comprehensive review of Kemper’s insurance coverage options — both auto and home — along with discounts, to see if it's a good fit for your insurance needs.
Kemper car insurance coverage options
Along with standard coverages like comprehensive, collision, liability, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist, Kemper allows its customers to tailor their policies to meet their needs. Below are some optional extras that can be added to a Kemper insurance policy.
If you’re involved in an accident that caused significant damage to your vehicle, this coverage will pay out according to your car’s replacement value instead of the standard actual cash value (ACV), which may be less than you expect due to depreciation. Kemper will either pay to repair the damage or replace your vehicle — whichever costs less. The only caveat is that this coverage is only available for brand new cars that are leased or purchased.
Sometimes known as auto loan/lease coverage, gap coverage ensures you’re not left financially underwater following a total loss. It will cover the outstanding amount on your vehicle loan or lease if the payout — based on ACV — won’t cover the full amount you owe. Gap insurance is automatically included if you opt-into Kemper Total™.
Get optional — but useful — coverages, like accident forgiveness, trip interruption coverage, key replacement, personal property protection, diminishing deductible, and a deductible waiver (if your parked car is damaged), all rolled into one package.
Kemper auto insurance discounts and reward programs
The discounts offered by Kemper are not much different from those available from other larger insurance providers. Keep in mind discounts may vary depending on your state and whether or not you’re considered a preferred, standard, or non-standard customer.
Discounts based on your insurance policy
- Multi-policy: Sign up for more than just one policy to get a discount. Kemper offers an auto and homeowners bundle called Package Plus that includes extended home coverage and the convenience of having your insurance on one invoice.
- Paid-in-full: Get this discount by paying in one lump-sum for the entire policy period.
- Prior insurance: Kemper offers a discount for non-standard policyholders who maintain active insurance and don’t let it lapse.
Discounts based on the driver or vehicle
- Multi-car: Have more than one vehicle on your policy to qualify for this common discount.
- Away at school: Ask for this discount if you’re a student living away from your primary residence.
- Good student: Keep up the good grades to be rewarded with a student discount.
- Driver training: Take an approved defensive driving course to see some savings on your premium.
- Anti-theft devices and passive restraint/airbags: Taking preventative safety measures for the security of your vehicle and its passengers can lead to a discounted rate.
- Residence: Homeowners and those with renters insurance policies are eligible for some savings on their Kemper auto policy.
Kemper home insurance review
Offering homeowners insurance in 13 states, Kemper provides standard home coverages:
- Protection for the structure of your home, along with detached structures like sheds or a garage.
- Personal property protection for the contents of your home.
- Liability coverage in case you damage someone else’s property or you’re liable for someone’s injury.
- Additional living expenses if you’re temporarily displaced from your home due to a covered loss.
Additional homeowners insurance coverages through Kemper
Available as endorsements to your home insurance policy, Kemper offers extra coverage for personal items like jewelry and fine art, along with identity theft protection. If you own items of high-value, it may be a good decision to get coverage for personal items that may be hard to replace without financial help from your insurer.
Kemper home insurance discounts
Some common discounts for homeowners insurance can be found at Kemper.
Discounts based on your home insurance policy
- Multi-policy: As mentioned above, bundle your homeowners policy with an auto policy with Kemper to receive this discount.
- Coverage bundle: Enroll in three or more coverage enhancements to get 10% off on each coverage option.
Discounts based on the home or policyholder
- Age of home: Newer homes less than 15 years old since construction can qualify for this discount.
- Age of roof: Qualify for this discount if the roof of your home is less than six years old.
- Home renovation: For homes that are over 25 years old, you may see a 10% savings if your home undergoes qualifying renovations for heating, wiring, and plumbing.
- Hip roof: Only available in select coastal states, if your roof is pyramid-shaped with four-sided slopes, you may be eligible for this discount.
- New home buyer: If you’ve bought your home within the last 24 months, expect a new home buyer discount.
- Married: Policyholders that are married, in domestic partnerships, or recognized civil unions can expect some savings on their home insurance premium.
- Security and safety systems: Install fire alarms, smoke detectors, burglar alarms, and other protective measures in your home to get this discount.
- Window protection: You may be eligible for this discount if you’ve installed storm or hurricane shutters and live in an area vulnerable to hurricanes.
Additional lines of insurance
Kemper's additional insurance products include:
Is Kemper insurance right for you?
Kemper provides all the traditional coverage options of any big-name insurance company, in addition to competitive discounts for both auto and home insurance policies. Though home insurance through Kemper is not yet available in every state, it may be worth looking into if you’re a new home buyer with a fairly new build. However, keep in mind that despite their excellent financial health and subsequent ability to payout covered claims, Kemper may not offer the best customer experience.
With new assets like a new car or home to worry about, the budget is likely on your mind when it comes to finding affordable insurance for both. Enter your zip code below to compare insurance rates from Kemper and dozens of insurance companies to find the coverage you want at the best price.