Safety Insurance Review
- With 3.1/5 stars in 2023, Safety is a good insurance company.
- Read Safety reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
Safety insurance: Ratings and reviews
Safety Insurance, a Massachusetts-based company, has been serving New England for over 40 years. While it is a local provider, its customer-centric approach and wide coverage options have allowed it to maintain a competitive position among insurance giants.
This review provides an overview of what Safety Insurance offers and insights into their customer service, coverage options and discount programs.
The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey
In addition to third-party ratings, we like to incorporate the results from our own consumer survey where we ranked which auto insurance companies are the best based on feedback from real customers. However, we did not collect a sufficient amount of data on Safety for it to be included.
How much does Safety Insurance cost?
Currently, the national average for a 6-month car insurance policy is $880, whereas Safety is about $721 or roughly 18% cheaper than a typical policy, making it a more affordable option for car insurance.
The table below shows how Safety auto insurance compares against other top insurers.
Similar to any insurance company, pricing for Safety auto insurance does vary based on your age and generally will get cheaper the older you get.
The table below shows Safety's car insurance premiums for different age brackets.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
Safety Insurance offers a variety of discounts, subject to eligibility and state availability. Here are some of the discount options:
- Loyalty discount: Tenured Safety customers can earn up to a 4% discount on their policy for the number of years insured.
- Multi-car: Having more than one vehicle on your policy can earn you up to 10% in savings.
- Good student: Students who keep up good grades while in school can be rewarded with 10%
- Excellent driver: The longer you are accident-free, the higher this discount can go. Safe drivers of six years earn up to 24% off.
Read more about Safety's discount options here.
Search, compare and buy all on one site. Start saving today!
What types of coverage does Safety offer?
Safety Insurance offers a wide range of standard auto insurance coverages like liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. In addition, Safety has two tiers of enhanced coverage packages called Safety Shield and Safety Shield Plus. Some of the coverages included are listed below.
- Accident forgiveness: With this coverage, your first accident will not result in a rate increase.
- Disappearing collision deductible: Your deductible will lessen for each policy period in which you don't file a collision claim.
- Pet coverage: This reimburses you for vet bills if you experience an accident with your pet in the car.
- Supplemental towing and labor: Emergency roadside services are available for disabled vehicles.
- Emergency road travel expenses: Also known as rental reimbursement, the cost of a rental car will be covered if your vehicle is rendered temporarily inoperable by a covered loss.
Drive with Safety App
This regional carrier offers a telematics program called Drive with Safety. The app uses data from your phone's sensors to detect risky driving behaviors and reward for improvement. Enrolling in this program can earn you up to a 5% discount on your policy premium.
Safety insurance review: Summary
Safety's favorable customer service ratings— reflected in its Trustpilot reviews and lower-than-average complaint count — plus their affordable prices make it a solid choice for auto insurance. If you live in a covered state, you can count on a customer-centric approach, lots of discount opportunities and bundling options with Safety Insurance. The Zebra recommends checking this company out on your next search for car insurance.
Methodology — how The Zebra reviews insurance companies
The team of insurance experts at The Zebra considers the company's standing in five main categories to come up with an overall rating. These metrics are weighted according to importance and are detailed below:
- Price (20%): Using the base profile detailed below, we compared the company's average rate with the national average. If it surpassed this average, we gave a lower rating; if it fell below, we awarded a higher rating.
- Coverage (20%): The highest-scoring companies offer a variety of coverage options, including bundling options, roadside assistance, telematics, beyond-basic coverage levels, and a variety of other coverage types.
- Customer service (30%): We averaged ratings from JD Power, the NAIC complaint index to come up with a rating for the company's customer service. In instances when a company is not rated, we may use alternative rating agencies such as the Better Business Bureau and Trust Pilot.
- Financial strength (10%): We use AM Best to determine a company's financial standing. In some cases when a company is not rated by AM Best, we may use an alternative measure such as Demotech.
- The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey (20%): The Zebra conducts an annual survey measuring customer satisfaction for many of the top insurance companies with the goal of ranking both the best auto insurance companies and best home insurance companies. Read more below.
For our auto insurance review, we analyzed more than 83 million insurance rates spanning every U.S. ZIP code using a sample user profile: a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord, good credit and full coverage at these levels:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per incident for property damage liability
- $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive coverage
For our home insurance review, rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
These sample premiums are dynamic and automatically refresh whenever the newest data is made available.
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted this profile based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies. These factors include credit score, coverage level and others.
For The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2023.
Safety insurance: Frequently asked questions
Is Safety a good insurance company?
Safety Insurance is an excellent choice for residents of Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine as they offer a customer-centric approach, numerous discount opportunities and affordable premiums. However, those who don't live in the previously listed states and shopping seeking the convenience of online quoting should look elsewhere.
What states is Safety insurance available in?
Safety insurance is available in the states of Massachusetts, Maine and New Hampshire.
Is Safety insurance reliable?
Safety insurance is financially reliable given their "Excellent" rating from AM Best. However, J.D. Power rated Safety below average for customer satisfaction.
Do customers like Safety insurance?
Customers overall seem to like Safety insurance on Trustpilot and the company has a low NAIC complaint index. However, J.D. Power differs and lists them below average in overall customer satisfaction.
Get quotes from 100+ companies with The Zebra!
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance editorial content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.