Ask an Agent
Have another question? Our licensed agents are here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Do I need to change my policy when I rent out my home?

I own my own home but will be moving in with my girlfriend soon. I plan to rent out my place and want to know if I need to get a new landlord policy when I rent it, or if I can keep it as a homeowners policy. If I have a claim when a tenant is living there, would it be covered?

Denver, CO

Author profile picture

Beth Swanson

SEO Content Strategist

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty

Beth joined The Zebra in 2022 as an Associate Content Strategist. She is a licensed insurance agent whose goal is to make insurance content easy to r…

Great question! This is an important consideration if you're planning to turn your primary home into a rental. The short answer is yes, you'll need to change your homeowners policy to a landlord policy. An insurance company would likely deny a claim if the proper coverage isn't in place.

Tenants don't generally put the same level of care and maintenance into your home that you would because, frankly, it isn't their investment to worry about. However, you've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to purchase the home and are now going to use it as an investment — so the last thing you want is to have a major issue happen to the house and lose money because you weren't carrying the right coverage.

Consider Colorado winters (or, anywhere it gets below freezing): If you have a tenant who doesn't know about insulating exterior hose bibs, opening cabinet doors under the sink, or dripping faucets when the temperatures go below zero, you could have a frozen pipe crisis to deal with. If you file a claim under a homeowners policy and the insurance company realizes that you aren't living there, you may be paying thousands in repairs out-of-pocket because the claim will get denied. A homeowners policy is meant to cover exactly that: the homeowner. Something else to consider if you have investment property is an umbrella policy, as well, for an additional layer of protection.

Your tenant should have their own renters coverage to protect their belongings. Because you won't be covering their personal effects with your landlord policy, it'll probably save you money by switching policy types, which is a nice bonus. You also don't want to be guilty of misrepresenting your insurer, which is never a good idea. Feel free to call our agency at 888-444-8949 to see what a landlord policy might cost and ask any additional questions about the process.

Ask an Agent
Have another question? Our licensed agents are here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Should I inform my insurance company about my infrared sauna?

Thank you for reaching out to The Zebra!Yes, you will absolutely want to contact your current homeowners insurance company to let them know you've installed the sauna. Making upgrades or remodeling your home can impact your coverage, and because of this, it may increase your rates slightly. Ho…
Mar 29, 2024 Dorchester, IA

If the value of my home goes up, do I need to increase my coverage?

The value of your home increasing is amazing for selling purposes. However, when it comes to insuring a home, insurance carriers value the dwelling (Coverage A) at a replacement cost. This means they will cover the actual amount to rebuild your home, in the event a covered peril leads to a need to …
Apr 1, 2022 Copely, Ohio

In a state of emergency, does my insurance company have to help me if I have flood damage but no flood insurance?

If your home and basement were damaged by water that wasn't attributed to an actual flood then you will likely be covered by your company. Unfortunately, the declaration of a State of Emergency doesn't mean that your policy applies any differently; especially since flood insurance is prov…
Jun 27, 2017 Midland, MI

Can an insurance company force me to be added to a policy?

Thanks for reaching out to The Zebra. It is normal for insurance companies to require anyone in the household (of driving age) to be listed on a policy, "just in case." Even if you don't ever plan on driving their cars, insurers know that things come up and there is always a small ch…
Feb 6, 2023 Denver, CO