Kansas Car Insurance Laws

Why you can trust The Zebra

The Zebra partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed agents. Reference our data methodology and learn more about how we make money.

Author profile picture

Ross Martin

Insurance Writer

  • 4+ years in the Insurance Industry

Ross joined The Zebra as a writer and researcher in 2019. He specializes in writing insurance content to help shoppers make informed decisions.

Ross h…

Author profile picture

Beth Swanson

SEO Content Strategist

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty

Beth joined The Zebra in 2022 as an Associate Content Strategist. She is a licensed insurance agent whose goal is to make insurance content easy to r…

Auto insurance requirements in Kansas

Like most other US states, Kansas requires its drivers to carry car insurance. Proof of insurance coverage must be carried while driving and must be shown to law enforcement officials at their request. This proof can come in either physical or electronic form. Have a look below at the required car insurance limits in Kansas as well as some optional coverages that might be worth adding to your policy. Further coverage could be required for those who lease or finance their vehicle. 

Minimum Liability Coverage: 25/50/25 Uninsured/Underinsured Coverage Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
$25,000 for bodily injury per person Bodily Injury $25,000 per person $4,500 medical expense per person
$50,000 for bodily injury per accident Bodily Injury $50,000 per accident $900 per month income loss for one year
$25,000 for property damage per accident $25 per day at-home services
$4,500 rehabilitation expense per person
$2,000 funeral expense per person

Personal Injury Protection requirements in Kansas (PIP)

Kansas is a no-fault state, meaning that each driver is required to pay up to their policy limit for their own medical expenses — as well as those of their passengers — in the event of an accident. This coverage is known as Personal Injury Protection, or PIP coverage. PIP coverage takes care of the medical costs that you and your passengers incur in an accident regardless of fault. Drivers can still receive a payout from the at-fault party if their PIP limits are exhausted.

What is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage?

Unfortunately, not every driver carries car insurance. Because of this, Kansas requires drivers to carry uninsured motorist coverage to cover bodily injuries caused by an uninsured driver. This coverage protects against drivers who carry no coverage as well as those who have insurance that doesn't pay for all the damages they caused.

uninsured motorist

Liability insurance coverage in Kansas

Liability coverage is legally required in the state of Kansas. This coverage pays for injuries or lost wages suffered by another driver or their passengers in an accident that you cause. Liability also covers damages to the other driver’s vehicle up to your policy limits. Remember that liability coverage never pays for your injuries or damages to your property. You would need to rely on PIP insurance or add extra coverage in order to be covered. 

What are Kansas' state-mandated car insurance limits?

The term "limits" refers to the maximum amount that an insurance company will pay. States set a minimum limit in order to protect those using the roads. This is the bare minimum amount of coverage that you can carry and still be considered legal. Liability limits are broken out into three different categories: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident, and damage loss. Take a look at what each of these specifically refers to below:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury refers to the maximum amount that your insurer will pay for an injury that you cause.
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury is the full amount that your insurer will cover for all injured parties.
  • $25,000 per accident for property damage or loss is the total amount that your insurance company will pay for damage to another person’s property caused by you.

Uninsured/underinsured coverage works in much the same way, with their limits sometimes written out as 25/50, indicating the per person/per accident limit respectively.

It’s important to note that these limits can often — and in many cases, should — be increased to provide further coverage.  

Do the required insurance minimums in Kansas provide enough coverage?

When compared to other states, Kansas requires more insurance than most. Still, it’s always a good idea to increase your coverage limits in order to keep you and your assets protected. For instance, if you caused an accident in which multiple people were injured — even moderately — your bodily injury limits could evaporate quite quickly. The same goes for your property damage coverage, as the average new car is more expensive than the limit required.

Kansas' penalties for driving without proof of insurance

Kansas law requires insurance to be carried by all drivers. If you fail to provide proof of this coverage, you can expect the following consequences: 

  • Maintaining an SR-22 filing for twelve months
  • Fines between $300 and $1,000 (or between $800 and $2,500 for subsequent convictions)
  • Up to six months in jail
  • Higher insurance rates in the future[1]


Car insurance options in Kansas

Kansas requires more forms of car insurance coverage than most states. However, this doesn’t mean that you are fully covered. Have a look at the optional Kansas car insurance coverages that can help you fill in the gaps of your coverage. 

  • Comprehensive: A form of physical damage insurance, this covers your car from non-collision damages or losses associated with things like theft and weather damage. Comprehensive also covers collisions with animals as well.
  • Collision: Collision insurance covers physical damage to your vehicle caused by a collision with another vehicle or stationary object (though not collisions with animals).
  • Gap Coverage: This coverage, sometimes known as loan/lease coverage, is helpful if you are leasing or financing your vehicle. Because of how quickly automobiles depreciate in value, this coverage steps in to pay the difference in the actual cash value of your vehicle and what you still owe on the loan.
  • Medical payments: This coverage goes toward medical bills for injuries sustained by you or other passengers in your vehicle, regardless of fault. It covers you up to your policy’s limits, which typically fall between $5,000-$10,000.
  • Rental Car Reimbursement: If your car is rendered undrivable by a covered loss, this coverage steps in to help pay for a rental until yours can be fixed. 
  • Roadside assistance: If you find yourself broken down on the highway, this coverage can be very helpful.

Kansas is a diminished value state

Kansas is a diminished value state, meaning drivers are allowed to recover diminished value from the at-fault party’s insurance company. When your vehicle experiences an accident, the resale value decreases even if it is fully repaired to its pre-loss condition. The involvement in a collision makes your car’s value lesser than similar vehicles that have not experienced an accident. A diminished value claim allows you to recoup the losses you might experience when selling your car. 

Since Kansas is one of the 15 states that offer compensation for diminution in value, you may file by contacting the at-fault party’s insurer. In order to file a diminished value claim in Kansas, certain requirements must be met:

  • You are not entitled to compensation if you were the party at fault in the accident
  • Documentation will be required to process your claim. Ensure you can provide photos, records of repairs made, and proof of the value of your vehicle by a trusted source. 
  • In Kansas, the statute of limitations for filing a diminished value claim is 2 years. 
  • Kansas does not have uninsured motorist coverage for diminished value claims. 

Why adhering to car insurance requirements in Kansas is important

If you want to keep yourself protected — and be on the correct side of the law — carrying the right amount of insurance is crucial. This not only ensures that you are not at risk for excessive damages, but it can also help protect your vehicle. If you are concerned about how much that raising your limits or adding coverage may cost, it may be a good idea to shop around for a new policy. The Zebra can help you find car insurance quotes from a number of top carriers so that you can get the coverage you need.


Protect your car with the right coverage at the best value.

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

About The Zebra

The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.

  • The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
  • The Zebra’s insurance editorial content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
  • The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
  • The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.