At-fault driver lied about having insurance

What do I do if I was in an accident and the guy filed that he had insurance on the police report but he doesn't actually have insurance? I was hit by driver who changed lanes improperly. He told me in the cop both on scene that it was his fault and he did not have insurance. In the police report the cop put liability proof of insurance which he did not have. Also he had improper registration and got to drive away from the scene of the accident with no real proof of insurance. What are my options? Of course my car was damaged and not able to be driven and I still do not have my car and it's been almost 2 weeks. And I still see this guy driving around in this same van.

Apr 14, 2018 Charleston, West Virginia

Ava Lynch

Apr 14, 2018

I would contact the police and let them know the insurance information provided is invalid. Give them all the information you have available to you; the other driver's license plate, police report, all photos of the incident, etc. Next, I would contact your insurance company and let them know what is going on. Your insurance company will be on your side. If you have uninsured coverage on your current plan, you can have the damages repaired through this coverage until the other party can compensate your insurance company for the damage.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.