Why you can trust The Zebra

The Zebra partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed agents. Reference our data methodology and learn more about how we make money.

Author profile picture

Kristine Lee

Insurance Analyst

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty
  • 4+ years of Experience in the Insurance Industry

Kristine is a licensed insurance agent who joined The Zebra in 2019 as an in-house content researcher and writer. Before joining The Zebra, she was a…

Author profile picture

Renata Balasco

Senior Content Strategist

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty

Renata joined The Zebra in 2020 as a Customer Experience Agent. Since 2021, she has worked as licensed insurance professional and content strategist.…

What does an HO-7 insurance policy cover?

An HO-7 policy specifically covers mobile or manufactured homes, including trailers, single- and double-wide mobile homes, sectional homes, RVs, and modular homes. It offers the same broad form of coverage seen in an HO-3 for open perils — it provides "all risk" coverage for perils (causes of loss) not specifically named in the policy. It's important to note that while an HO-7 policy provides open peril coverage for the dwelling and other structures, any personal property (the contents of the mobile home) is only covered for named perils — perils that are specifically listed on your policy.

Insurance Terminology

Property Covered Against

Contents Covered Against

HO-7 - Mobile Home Form

Open perils

Named perils


1. What does an HO-7 policy cover?
2. What does an HO-7 policy not cover?
3. Homeowners insurance: what to consider

What does an HO-7 policy cover?

An HO-7 protects your mobile or manufactured home against anything that's not specifically named in your policy. Although open-peril coverage is applied to the structure of your home and detached structures, this coverage is applied on a named-peril basis if your personal property is damaged. It also provides coverage for liability, loss of use, and medical payments.

Dwelling and other structures

This includes your mobile home and any detached structures, i.e., fencing or detached garage. If your manufactured home is destroyed or damaged following a covered loss, the home insurance company pays out the claim according to the home's replacement cost, without accounting for its market rate, which may differ significantly.

Personal property

An HO-7 policy provides coverage to the personal property in your mobile home, like furniture and clothing, for perils that are specifically listed — or named — on your policy. If your personal property is destroyed following a named peril, the insurance company will pay out according to the actual cash value of your items.

Named perils include:

  1. Lightning or fire
  2. Hail or windstorm
  3. Damage caused by aircraft
  4. Explosions
  5. Riots or civil disturbances
  6. Smoke damage
  7. Damage caused by vehicles
  8. Theft
  9. Vandalism and malicious mischief
  10. Falling objects
  11. Volcanic eruption
  12. Damage from the weight of snow, ice, or sleet
  13. Water damage from plumbing, heating, or air conditioning overflow
  14. Water heater cracking, tearing, and burning
  15. Damage from electrical current
  16. Pipe freezing

If you own any valuables, it might be a good idea to add an endorsement or rider to your homeowners policy to extend the limits on certain valuables, like jewelry, firearms, silverware, and electronics since they have sub-limits set by the insurance company.

Money, gold, coins
Jewelry, watches, furs
Watercraft, trailers
Business property
Business property


Liability coverage

This protects you in the event you're found liable for someone's bodily injuries or damaged property. Like car insurance liability coverage, this covers you up to the specified limit. It's always a good idea to set the limit high since homeowners liability coverage is generally much cheaper than auto insurance liability.

Loss of use

Also known as additional living expenses, this covers your expenses up to the specified limit if you need to live elsewhere once your mobile home becomes uninhabitable following a loss.

Medical payments to others

If someone is injured in your mobile home, this provides coverage for their medical expenses up to the specified limit.

  • Medical bills and payments
  • Surgery costs
  • Ambulance or other hospital fees
  • X-rays
  • Dental work
  • Nursing care
  • Prosthetic devices
  • Funeral expenses

What does an HO-7 policy not cover?

Though an HO-7 policy protects your mobile home against open perils, it's important to keep in mind this coverage is applied differently to your personal property — which is covered only for named perils. You will need to prove your personal property was damaged under one of the named perils.

Additional HO-7 policy exclusions
  • Flood*
  • Hurricane
  • Mold**
  • Vandalism to vacant dwellings
  • Wear and tear
  • Property damage caused by pets
  • Earthquakes***
  • Enforcement of building codes and similar laws
  • Intentional acts
  • Neglect
  • Government acts

*Separate flood insurance may be available in some states.

**Some policies allow you to add limited coverage on your policy for mold.

***If applicable, earthquake insurance may be added as a separate policy.

HO-7 — Homeowners insurance coverage: what to consider

If you own a mobile home, it's extremely important to protect your investment with the right homeowners policy and understand what's covered and what's not. Consider the value of your home and personal property and assess the potential risks of your location to decide whether you need to bolster your HO-7 policy with additional endorsement or policies. While an HO-7 provides open peril coverage for the structure of your manufactured home — which is usually sufficient whether you live in a mobile home or a house — consider the exclusions that won't be covered following a loss. For example, if you live in a flood-prone area, it might be a good idea to opt for a separate flood insurance policy on top of your existing HO-7 policy.

Shopping for a homeowners policy? We can help you find the right coverage at the best rate. Call (888) 444-2833 or click the link below.

Need homeowners insurance?

About The Zebra

The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.

  • The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
  • The Zebra’s insurance editorial content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
  • The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
  • The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.