A vehicle that was being towed was totaled

How should I handle the insurance in this example? I just towed a truck I am buying (not yet registered on my name /non-op) to location parked it and a street racer crashed into it totaling it. The insurance is under mothers name only ...what do I do next?

Aug 27, 2018 Gardena, CA

Ava Lynch

Aug 27, 2018

I'm sorry to hear your car was totaled. This is what I would recommend.

  1. File a police report. Although I do not have all the details, it sounds like this was a hit-and-run situation. A police report will be important for step 3.
  2. Check your policy to see what coverage your mother has.
  3. If you have uninsured motorist property damage coverage, and you filed a police report, you will be able to claim the accident under this coverage. If you are able to file it under uninsured motorist, the accident will be reported as a not-at-fault accident. Not-at-fault accidents will not impact your rate as much as an at-fault will and it will only be on your record for up to three years. On average, it can increase your rate by $34 per 6-month policy period. However, that is just an average.
  4. If you do not have uninsured motorist coverage but you do have collision coverage, you can have the damages repaired under this coverage. If you use your collision coverage to pay for the damages, it will be reported as an at-fault accident. At-fault accidents will stay on your record for up to five years and impact the rates more than a not-at-fault accident will.
  5. If there is no uninsured motorist coverage or collision coverage, your car will not be repaired. Keep in mind most insurance companies require you to report an accident, even if a claim isn't submitted. The other issue is who the car is registered. If it is your name, you would need to be listed as a driver on the policy otherwise the claim can be denied.  

In summary, most likely your rates will be impacted if you file a claim. How much your rates will be impacted depends on the types of coverage you have and what coverage pays out to fix your car.  Take a peek at our guide on how to file and what you can expect. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Related Questions
Other people are also asking...

Does car insurance cover a locksmith?

If you have roadside assistance on your insurance policy then it is extremely likely that your policy will cover a locksmith to unlock your vehicle. You might even be able to get your vehicle "re-keyed" under your roadside assistance coverage if you aren't able to find your keys.
Feb 9, 2016 San Jose, CA

If my vehicle was totaled in an accident, do I still need to pay my insurance bill?

The decision to maintain your auto insurance coverage is really dependent on whether or not you plan to buy a new vehicle in the near future. If you cancel your policy and then buy another vehicle within the next month or two, the insurance rates for that vehicle will be much higher than if you maintained coverage.
May 12, 2017 Belfair, WA

I was rear-ended but the driver drove off before we exchanged information

The safest course of action would be to contact your insurance company with all the information possible. Including the police report and the at-fault driver's license plate information.
Dec 11, 2017 Fairfield, Ohio