What is an FR-44?

Learn more about how to get car insurance with an FR-44 certificate.

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Why you can trust The Zebra

The Zebra partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed agents. Reference our data methodology and learn more about how we make money.

Author profile picture

Ross Martin

Insurance Writer

  • 4+ years in the Insurance Industry

Ross joined The Zebra as a writer and researcher in 2019. He specializes in writing insurance content to help shoppers make informed decisions.

Ross h…

Author profile picture

Beth Swanson

SEO Content Strategist

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty

Beth joined The Zebra in 2022 as an Associate Content Strategist. She is a licensed insurance agent whose goal is to make insurance content easy to r…

FR-44 car insurance defined

An FR-44, also known as an FR44, is a certificate proving a driver is carrying active liability insurance at or in excess of the legal minimum. The "FR" stands for “financial responsibility.”

Liability requirements for an FR-44 certificate are higher than the state minimum or SR-22 requirements. An FR-44 is not actually a form of car insurance, but proof of car insurance. A driver's location and driving history will determine whether or not they need an FR44 filing for insurance.

This relatively common insurance requirement can be brought about by a citation like a DWI or DUI, a driving-without-insurance violation, a collision resulting in substantial property damage, a citation for driving with a suspended license,or as a result of gathering too many license points.

In which states are FR-44s required for insurance?

States in which FR-44s are commonly required are Florida and Virginia. FR-44s are similar to SR-22s, another common car insurance requirement. 

Learn more about FR44 insurance requirements in specific states:

How to get an FR-44 without a car

If you don’t own a vehicle, acquiring proof of car insurance coverage can be tricky. One of the best options is non-owners car insurance. A non-owner auto insurance policy is what it sounds like: a liability-only policy for people who do not own a vehicle but want insurance. If you’re borrowing a friend’s vehicle and get into an at-fault accident, you could use this coverage to pay for any damages you cause.

This policy only provides liability coverage: the damage you do to other people and their property. Liability-only coverage provides no physical protection for the motor vehicle you are driving.

A non-owner policy is not only a solution for lifting an FR-44 requirement. It can be a good way to limit your premiums while you’re waiting for a violation to fall off your insurance record. Non-owner policies tend to be cheaper than standard policies, as they provide only liability coverage.

Non-owner car insurance can be hard to find. Most online resources will require you to enter vehicle information in order to get car insurance quotes. If you’re interested in getting a quote or policy for non-owner coverage, contact The Zebra's insurance agency.

shield question mark

Buy Car Insurance Online and Start Saving!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.


Other people are also asking...

Failure to submit a breathalyzer's impact on car insurance rates?

This can be tricky to answer. In Maine, they have a law called Implied Consent. Basically, if you refuse to submit to a sobriety test, you can have your license immediately suspended. This suspension can last up to six years. Furthermore, because this is considered an administrative suspension, no …
Aug 17, 2018 Bangor, ME

Do I need to report a DUI to my insurance company?

If you're planning on selling the vehicle and have no intention of filing a claim for the damage, you don't need to tell your insurance company about the incident. You can just remove it from your policy. In terms of the DUI ticket, you're not technically required to tell your insura…
Dec 7, 2017 Roseville, California

What do I do if I don't have a car but am required to have an SR22 and an ignition interlock?

You should be able to purchase a non-owners insurance policy and have an SR22 attached to that policy to meet the state requirement. It would be impossible to install an interlock device if you don't have a vehicle so I would recommend contacting your probation officer or attorney to discuss y…
Apr 27, 2017 Leawood, KS

About The Zebra

The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.

  • The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
  • The Zebra’s insurance editorial content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
  • The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
  • The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.