FR-44 car insurance defined
An FR-44, also known as an FR44, is a certificate proving a driver is carrying active liability insurance at or in excess of the legal minimum. The "FR" stands for “financial responsibility.”
Liability requirements for an FR-44 certificate are higher than the state minimum or SR-22 requirements. An FR-44 is not actually a form of car insurance, but proof of car insurance. A driver's location and driving history will determine whether or not they need an FR44 filing for insurance.
This relatively common insurance requirement can be brought about by a citation like a DWI or DUI, a driving-without-insurance violation, a collision resulting in substantial property damage, a citation for driving with a suspended license,or as a result of gathering too many license points.
An FR-44 is not actually a form of car insurance, but proof of car insurance.
How to get an FR-44 without a car
If you don’t own a vehicle, acquiring proof of car insurance coverage can be tricky. One of the best options is non-owners car insurance. A non-owner auto insurance policy is what it sounds like: a liability-only policy for people who do not own a vehicle but want insurance. If you’re borrowing a friend’s vehicle and get into an at-fault accident, you could use this coverage to pay for any damages you cause.
This policy only provides liability coverage: the damage you do to other people and their property. Liability-only coverage provides no physical protection for the motor vehicle you are driving.
A non-owner policy is not only a solution for lifting an FR-44 requirement. It can be a good way to limit your premiums while you’re waiting for a violation to fall off your insurance record. Non-owner policies tend to be cheaper than standard policies, as they provide only liability coverage.
Non-owner car insurance can be hard to find. Most online resources will require you to enter vehicle information in order to get car insurance quotes. If you’re interested in getting a quote or policy for non-owner coverage, contact The Zebra's insurance agency.
Buy Car Insurance Online and Start Saving!
- Carco Inspections
- How Much Car Insurance Do You Need?
- How to Update Your Driver's License When You Move to a New State
- Property Damage Liability Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
- What is Collateral Protection Insurance?
- What is Reinsurance?
- What is Standard vs. Non-standard Insurance?
- What is an Excluded Driver?
- Which Car Insurance Companies Do Not Use Credit Scores?
My son got a DUI, I will be selling the vehicle & removing him from my GEICO policy. Do I need to report it?
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.