Should I get insurance or car registration first?

The registration on my car expired 2 years ago because it wasn't running. I finally have it fixed but I'm not sure if it has to be insured before I can get my tags. What should I do?

Mar 17, 2016 Provo, UT

Neil Richardson

Mar 17, 2016

In most states you are required to provide proof that your vehicle is insured before allowing you to register your vehicle. The insurance policy must meet the state's minimum coverage requirement to tag your vehicle so you will want to take your proof of coverage with you to verify your compliance with the law. And if you will be driving the vehicle to the registration office you want to make sure that you are insured to be legal on the road anyway.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.