Ask an Agent
Have another question? Our licensed agents are here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Should I inform my insurance company about my infrared sauna?

I just got an infrared sauna for my home. Do I have to tell my insurance company about it? Will having the sauna increase my premiums, and if so, how much?

Mar 29, 2024 Dorchester, IA

Author profile picture

Beth Swanson

SEO Content Strategist

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty

Beth joined The Zebra in 2022 as an Associate Content Strategist. She is a licensed insurance agent whose goal is to make insurance content easy to r…

Thank you for reaching out to The Zebra!

Yes, you will absolutely want to contact your current homeowners insurance company to let them know you've installed the sauna. Making upgrades or remodeling your home can impact your coverage, and because of this, it may increase your rates slightly. How much it goes up depends on how much coverage you have. If the sauna is built into the home, you want to make sure that its value is considered in the overall coverage for the dwelling (some companies call this Coverage A).

If you lost your entire home, you'd want to be able to replace everything — including your new sauna. You need to account for that cost when calculating how much coverage you would need to rebuild. Your homeowners insurance will only payout on a claim for the sauna if they have that factored into your policy coverages. Anytime you update your home and increase value, it's best to contact your insurance company to confirm adequate coverage.

It's also important to keep your liability coverage in mind: if someone were to have an accident in your sauna, your liability insurance would help out, but you risk not having enough liability coverage and inviting a possible lawsuit. Things like saunas, hot tubs, pools, or trampolines are considered "attractive nuisances" in the insurance world. We know they're fun to have at home, but they add risk to your property. If you're considering purchasing something that could be a liability to your home you will want to make sure your coverage limits are high enough for your peace of mind.

When you make improvements to your home, it is also a good time to shop around for new quotes and see if you can save money on your insurance. We'd love to help you with this process, so call us at 888-255-4364 when you're ready so we can answer any questions you've got about your home's features, and get you personalized rates from a wide range of insurance companies.

Ask an Agent
Have another question? Our licensed agents are here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare auto insurance rates and save up to $670 per year!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Is the type of siding on a house, like vinyl, a rating factor for insurance premiums?

There is no straight-forward answer to what building materials you use for your house and the homeowners insurance rate you will end up with. Here's a tip to keep in mind that may help you make a decision: brick, stucco, and concrete are preferred by most insurers because they tend to be flame…
Sep 2, 2019 Athens, GA

What is the difference between personal property and building property?

Greetings!Thank you for reaching out to The Zebra. This is a great question that can go in a few different directions. But first, let's address how these are different. Personal property coverage will provide coverage to any personal belongings in the home. Basically, if you were to take the r…
Mar 6, 2023 Chicago, IL

If the value of my home goes up, do I need to increase my coverage?

The value of your home increasing is amazing for selling purposes. However, when it comes to insuring a home, insurance carriers value the dwelling (Coverage A) at a replacement cost. This means they will cover the actual amount to rebuild your home, in the event a covered peril leads to a need to …
Apr 1, 2022 Copely, Ohio

Does my son-in-law's military status (Marine) qualify me as USAA member?

It is my understanding that USAA eligibility flows "downstream" – which means you need to be a child or spouse of an established member to get a USAA policy. Therefore parents, or in your case in-laws, of USAA members are likely not eligible to get their own policy. This applies to all in…
Feb 15, 2018 Austin, TX