Can I file a claim for a stolen car if my son gave his friend permission to drive my vehicle?

My son (age 39) let a friend borrow my car for an hour because of an emergency. His friend did not return car so my son went to get it back, and he couldn't find this person or my car. This person almost ran over him when he spotted my car at a gas station, but he was unable to follow him. The car has been gone since last Thursday. The police said to send a certified letter to his friend's house for return of the car after and said to report the vehicle stolen after 72 hours. Can I file a claim with my insurance company in the meantime?

Apr 29, 2017 Plano, TX

Neil Richardson

Apr 29, 2017

You will need to report the vehicle stolen before you are able to file a claim with your insurance provider. From there, your insurance company should handle the remainder of the claim if you have comprehensive coverage. If the vehicle is recovered then your insurance company would repair any damage that may have been caused after the car was stolen. I would not recommend waiting to contact the police to report your vehicle as stolen.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.