What can I do about fixing incorrect information on my driving record?

I called to get an insurance quote to see if I could get a lower rate and was told there were two accidents on my record that I was never involved in. When I was given the information I was told the driver and cars were registered to someone else, but the insurance policy was somehow in my name! I have no idea what to do, who to contact, or how to fix this?

Sep 23, 2017 Swedesboro, NJ

Neil Richardson

Sep 23, 2017

It really depends on where the accidents are listed. Insurance companies look at 2 different reports to verify your driving history. A MVR is from the DMV and shows incidents where a police officer issued a ticket or wrote an accident report. A CLUE report shows claims filed with previous insurance companies. An MVR is much more difficult to get changed because that normally involves going to court, but a CLUE report can be updated much more easily. Just like your credit report, you can request one CLUE report every year to make sure the information on that report is correct and dispute any inaccuracies. Here is a link to the CLUE vendor to request a copy of your report. You will also find advice on how to submit disputes on your report

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.