Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Husband backed into a pole in his work's parking lot how to handle insurance

Do we need to report this incident to our auto insurance? My husband backed into a pole in his work's parking lot. The back left corner sustained a pretty decent dent. Wondering if this is something we need to report to our auto insurance? Not sure if something like this is covered under our policy.

Jul 19, 2018 Austin, TX

Author profile picture

Ava Lynch

Insurance Analyst

  • 7+ years of Experience in the Insurance Industry

Ava joined The Zebra as a writer and licensed insurance agent in 2016. She now works as a senior insurance contributor, providing insights and data a…

There are a few different factors to consider.

  • First, most insurance companies require you to report any incident that occurs with the car, even if a claim is not filed. Check with your specific company for their guidelines.
  • Second, look at your car insurance policy to see what kind of coverage you have on the vehicle involved in the accident. In order for your car to be repaired, you will need to have collision coverage and you will be responsible for your deductible.
  • The next thing I would think about is the cost of the damage. If the cost to repair your car is less than or close to your deductible you wouldn't want to file a claim. The reason being, a claim will impact your rates negatively and can end up costing you more in the long run than what it would cost for you to just pay for the damages out of pocket. A claim/accident can stay on your record for up to five years and will impact your rate while it is on your record. While it can vary, the average premium increase for an at-fault accident in Texas in 2020 is $747. Over a 3 year period, you would expect to pay over $2,200 in premium increases. 

If you're curious, you can find additional information about the claims process in our guide to filing claims (featuring a claims calculator). Good luck and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

What are my options if I am paying over $700 a month in car insurance?

Unfortunately, it would appear that your girlfriend's insurance company sees her as a high-risk driver. This would explain her coverage being dropped and the new policy having expensive rates. There are many factors that come into play when insurance companies determine rates. Your driving rec…
Jun 5, 2019 New York City, NY

If you don't have a receipt for goods, do renters still get paid for property loss?

You can file a renters insurance claim without receipts, but moving forward you should keep an up-to-date inventory of your personal belongings with photos and get an appraisal for big-ticket items.If you reach out to your insurance company, they will let you know what all would be covered under yo…
Jul 7, 2021 Fort Worth, TX

Do I claim my stolen vehicle with Lyft or GEICO?

One of the companies should be covering you via your comprehensive coverage. Check out our page on Lyft's insurance requirements for more information. If they are not wanting to provide coverage, you can seek legal advice to see if you have any other options. Good luck and if you have any ques…
Jan 23, 2019 Houston, TX

If I have an open claim on a totaled car, how do I handle the insurance?

There's a couple of things to think about. First, canceling the coverage on this vehicle will not cancel the claim. As long as the policy was active at the time of the accident (which it sounds like it was), you should be fine. Second, if your car is totaled, you can cancel your insurance if …
Jan 17, 2019 El Paso, TX