Plymouth Rock Insurance Review
- With 4/5 stars in 2023, Plymouth Rock is a good insurance company.
- Read Plymouth Rock reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
Plymouth Rock review at a glance
Plymouth Rock auto insurance review
Plymouth Rock Assurance is a regional insurance company that offers insurance in a handful of northeastern states. Plymouth Rock could be a decent option if you want to avoid working with a large car insurance company. Though the company has a smaller operation with a limited customer pool, Plymouth Rock offers impressive car insurance coverage options and discounts that compete with the insurance market's major players. Plymouth Rock policyholders can expect some unique benefits — like mobile claims service and one-time cab fare coverage — and can choose from four tiers of auto insurance coverage. Policies can be customized further by taking advantage of some additional optional protections on offer.
The company garnered mixed reviews from reputable third parties; while Plymouth Rock has exceptional financial strength and very few consumer complaints, its customer satisfaction was not rated positively.
- J.D. Power Rating — Below Average: In J.D. Power's auto insurance customer satisfaction study for the mid-Atlantic and New England regions of the US, Plymouth Rock was rated below average.
- Financial strength — Excellent: According to AM Best, Plymouth Rock’s financial rating of A- indicates stable fiscal health and a strong ability to pay out claims.
- NAIC Rating — Above Average: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) received fewer customer complaints regarding Plymouth Rock than the national average.
Where is Plymouth Rock car insurance available?
Plymouth Rock car insurance coverage options
All of the standard auto insurance coverage types can be purchased via Plymouth Rock — liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist and medical payments. This insurance company also offers four tiers of extra coverage — each of which comes with some unique perks and benefits — along with some optional coverages that can be added to a Plymouth Rock policy.
Automatically included with every policy, Plymouth Rock's Essential Assurance includes:
- Crashbusters® mobile claim service: A claim representative will be sent directly to you, wherever you are, to assess the damage.
- Door-to-door valet claim service: Plymouth Rock will pick up your car, transport it to the repair shop and return it to you when it's done.
- Guaranteed repairs: For as long as you own or lease your vehicle, repair work completed at one of Plymouth Rock's registered repair shops is guaranteed.
- Get Home Safe®: This covers up to $50 for a one-time, one-way cab fare home.
- Online services: Manage your policy online, where policyholders can see ID cards, update information, track claims and more.
- Pledge of Assurance®: If Plymouth Rock fails to meet your customer care standards, it will make a $25 contribution to your choice of a select group of charities.
Along with all of the benefits available under Essential Assurance, Assurance Plus includes the following protections and can be combined with Assurance Preferred or Assurance Premier:
- Additional rental coverage: Your daily limit for a rental vehicle is increased.
- Mobile device and laptop replacement: If your cell phone, tablet or laptop becomes damaged after a covered accident, it will be repaired or replaced (up to the specified limit) with no deductible.
- Pet injury coverage: Policyholders can receive compensation for veterinary care or other expenses if their dog or cat is injured following a covered loss.
- Seatbelt/airbag benefits: If a death occurs after an accident, additional benefits could be received if a seatbelt was worn and an operable airbag was deployed.
- Child car seat replacement: Plymouth Rock will pay to replace your child car seat (up to the stated limit) if it becomes damaged from a covered event.
- Personal property coverage: This deductible-exempt coverage protects damaged personal belongings not covered by the mobile device and laptop replacement benefits.
- Waiver of collision deductible: If get in an accident with another Plymouth Rock policyholder and you're not at fault, your collision deductible will be waived.
- Enhanced bail bond coverage: Get an increased limit above your base policy if you sustain bail bond costs due to an accident.
- Loss of earnings coverage: This provides extended coverage for loss of regular income if you're required to attend a trial or hearing because of an accident.
- Deductible waiver for glass repairs: Your deductible will be waived for auto glass repair; the damage must be smaller than a quarter and be a result of a covered accident.
Plymouth Rock's Assurance Preferred includes all of the features of Essential Assurance and adds these additional benefits:
- Roadside assistance: This common add-on will deliver assistance for towing, flat tires, lock-outs, battery service and more if you find yourself stranded on the road. Eligible only for customers in NJ and PA.
- Deductible waiver for windshield replacement: If a covered loss results in you having to replace your windshield, you won't face a deductible.
- Additional towing and labor coverage: This bumps up your coverage (in excess of roadside assistance) for towing if you already have towing and labor coverage.
- Waiver of depreciation: If a part is repaired or replaced on your vehicle after an accident, its normal deduction for depreciation is waived.
- Airbag accidental discharge coverage: If an airbag deploys accidentally — and it wasn't caused by a covered event — Plymouth Rock will pay to repair or replace it up to the coverage limit.
- Pet injury coverage: If your dog or cat is injured in an accident, this will cover veterinary care and other related expenses.
Including all of the coverages under Assurance Preferred, Assurance Premier adds the following:
- Roadside assistance: If you need help with your vehicle while you're on the road, roadside assistance can help with things like fuel delivery, battery service and lock-outs. Eligible for customers in MA, NJ, NH, PA and CT.
- Deductible Dollars®: For each year without a claim, policyholders can earn a $50 deductible credit.
- Trip interruption coverage: This covers expenses for lodging and meals stemming from a covered loss while you're more than 100 miles away from home.
- New car replacement: If your new car becomes totaled within your first two years as its original owner, this will cover its replacement for the same make, model and year.
- Plus one car replacement: If your car was two model years old or less when it's totaled, it will be replaced with the same make, model and year.
- Loan/lease gap coverage: This covers the financial gap between what you owe on your lease or loan if your vehicle is totaled. This coverage cannot be combined with new car replacement or plus one car replacement.
- Electronic key replacement: If your electronic key is stolen or lost, Plymouth Rock will pay for its replacement.
Additional optional coverages from Plymouth Rock
Plymouth Rock has a few optional enhancements and endorsements that can be added a la carte to a policy:
For qualifying policyholders, Plymouth Rock won't raise your premium following a surchargeable accident upon the policy's renewal.
Full glass coverage
The comprehensive deductible won't be charged for glass-only claims.
$100 glass deductible
Your deductible will be lowered to $100 for glass-only claims.
Waiver of deductible
Only available in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Plymouth Rock's deductible waiver add-on waives collision deductibles in certain situations.
New car replacement
Applicable for vehicles newer than two years old, new car replacement coverage will replace a totaled car with a new one (same model year, make and model).
Loan/lease gap coverage
If your vehicle gets totaled, the payout you receive may not be enough to cover the entire amount you owe for the lease or loan. This is due to deductions made for the depreciation of the car. Gap insurance is a coverage option meant to prevent such a situation, and Plymouth Rock will cover the difference.
Compare insurance rates quickly and easily.
Plymouth Rock auto insurance discounts
Some common car insurance discounts are available if you’re considering Plymouth Rock for your next auto policy. The availability of these discounts varies by state — so some states may have fewer discounts than others.
Discounts based on the driver or vehicle
- Bundling: Get a bundling discount by enrolling in a home, condo, or renters insurance policy through Plymouth Rock.
- Multi-car: Insure more than one vehicle on one policy to get this discount.
- Anti-theft/passive restraint devices: Devices like alarms, anti-lock brakes, automatic seatbelts and airbags can land you a discount on your policy.
- New driver: Receive this discount if a new driver on your policy is under age 19 and you’ve had your policy continuously for two years.
- Safe driver: Drivers with clean driving records can expect a lower premium.
- Away at school: If you or anyone on your policy is a student who resides away from home and does not have regular access to the insured vehicle, you may qualify for this discount.
- Driver training: Drivers can get this discount by completing a qualified driver training course.
- Driver improvement: If you're over age 55 and take a driver improvement course, you can get a discount.
- Good student: High school and college students who meet academic criteria (a “B” average) can receive a discount on their premium.
- Five-year claim-free: Those who have been incident-free for the past five years and over age 22 can be eligible for some savings.
Plymouth Rock Road Rewards
Road Rewards is a program that rewards drivers for safe driving habits. Policyholders can enroll by downloading the Road Rewards mobile app (available for iOS and Android), where they can earn points that are redeemable for things like discounted gas, movie tickets and gift cards to Amazon.com, Spotify, Starbucks and Apple.
Discounts based on your policy
- Advanced shopper: Receive a small discount by getting an insurance policy at least a few days in advance of its effective date.
- Paid in full: Pay a lump sum for the policy period instead of monthly payments to qualify for this common discount.
- Paperless: Opt-in for email delivery of policy documents to get a small discount.
- Affinity or alumni groups: You may be eligible for a discount if you’re part of an approved affinity or alumni group.
- Motor club: If you’re a part of an approved motor club, you could qualify for a small discount on your policy.
How much does Plymouth Rock car insurance cost?
Using our methodology, we compared average premiums from Plymouth Rock and the company's competitors.
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
|Accident/Violation||Avg. Monthly Premium|
|At-fault accident - greater than $2000||$201|
|Speeding 16 - 20 MPH over limit||$198|
Plymouth Rock bundling options
If you need more than auto insurance, Plymouth Rock has a comprehensive selection of insurance lines on offer.
Additional insurance products offered by Plymouth Rock
Find the right policy in only a few minutes.
Plymouth Rock home insurance review
Despite operating in just six states, Plymouth Rock's homeowners insurance offers competitive coverage options and discounts to rival some of America's largest, best-known insurance companies. It received favorable ratings for financial health and degree of consumer complaints, and our rate analysis revealed that it was substantially more affordable than many of its competitors.
Policyholders have the option of adding some unique protections — namely, pet insurance and flood insurance through private providers that partner with Plymouth Rock.
If you reside in a state where Plymouth Rock is active and wish to choose a smaller, regional insurance company, this company could provide ample protection with budget-friendly value.
- J.D. Power Rating — Not Rated: Plymouth Rock's homeowners insurance was not evaluated by J.D. Power.
- Financial strength — Excellent: Plymouth Rock was given a score of A- from AM Best, an organization that reviews insurance companies' financial health.
- NAIC Rating — Above Average: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) logged fewer complaints against Plymouth Rock's homeowners insurance than the national median.
Where is Plymouth Rock home insurance available?
Plymouth Rock homeowners coverage options
Plymouth Rock offers all of the standard homeowners insurance coverage options: dwelling insurance, coverage for other structures, personal property, loss of use, personal liability and medical payments.
For policyholders that opt for a higher level of coverage, these additional benefits may be included (availability depends on your state):
- Credit card coverage
- Guaranteed rebuild coverage
- ID monitoring
- ID theft expense reimbursement
- Scheduled personal property endorsements
- Water back-up and sump overflow
Additional optional homeowners coverages from Plymouth Rock
Your homeowners policy can be customized by adding these optional coverages:
Utility service line coverage
Should something happen to your home due to the failure of service lines or pipes, Plymouth Rock will step in to help cover the physical damage.
Home systems breakdown coverage
This coverage can be used for home equipment, like an AC unit or stove, if it breaks. Learn more about equipment breakdown coverage.
Identity theft protection
Plymouth Rock Assurance partners with Cyberscout to provide protection for your personal data and identity.
Home cyber coverage
This coverage protects against cyberattacks, like online fraud, extortion, data breaches and cyberbullying (not available in NY).
Pet health insurance
Partnering with Figo, a private pet insurance company, pet owners with this coverage can get reimbursed for myriad veterinary expenses. Figo offers three plans to choose from.
Plymouth Rock partners with a private flood insurance provider, Neptune Flood, to deliver flood coverage that goes beyond what the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) offers. Homeowners can get up to $2 million in coverage for their dwelling and $500,000 for their home contents.
Compare insurance rates quickly and easily.
Plymouth Rock discounts on home insurance
Some common homeowners insurance discounts are provided by Plymouth Rock. Some of these are automatically included when you enroll in Plymouth Rock's home insurance.
Discounts based on the homeowner or property
- New customer: Get a discount just by switching to Plymouth Rock.
- Claims-free: Save some money on your policy if you've had a clean claims record for five years.
- Age of home: Insuring a newer home can land you a lower premium.
- Connected home: Equip your home with Internet-connected devices that monitor theft, fire or water damage to qualify for this discount.
- Fire protection: Install a central fire monitoring system, automatic sprinklers or other qualifying devices to see some savings.
- Security protection: Get a discount by protecting your property with a central monitoring system like ADT.
- Affinity: If you're a member of a qualifying association or group, you can be eligible for an affinity discount.
Discounts based on your policy
- Advanced quote: Qualify for some savings by getting a home insurance quote more than seven days before your coverage activates.
- Bundling: Bundle your homeowners, condo or renters policy with car insurance or motorcycle insurance to get this popular discount.
- Paperless: Save $25 by opting into eDocuments.
How much does Plymouth Rock home insurance cost?
Our rate analysis below compares Plymouth Rock's average cost among some of the top providers of homeowners insurance.
Homeowners insurance data methodology
The homeowners insurance rates published in this guide are based on The Zebra's analysis of the cost of home insurance in every U.S. ZIP code. These rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted the homeowner profile based on common pricing factors used by major home insurance companies. These factors include location, coverage limits, claims record and others.
How to cancel a Plymouth Rock insurance policy
Plymouth Rock insurance policies can be canceled by calling its customer service line, which differs according to your state of residence. Consult the company's contact page to find out which number to call. You could also be entitled to a refund of any unused premium if your policy is canceled before its expiration date.
Can I cancel my Plymouth Rock policy online?
Your policy cannot be canceled online at this time. You must get in contact with the company directly to get the process started on voiding your insurance policy.
Plymouth Rock online features and app
Plymouth Rock's website is detailed and easy to navigate. Customers can see car insurance coverage and discount availability by selecting one of the six states the company is active in, which is helpful given that these tend to vary by state. It also offers plenty of information regarding the company's homeowners insurance and allows potential policyholders to get quotes in the manner they prefer: online, by phone or by finding a local agent.
Like many insurance company websites, policyholders can make an online account to manage their policy needs. Plymouth Rock also offers a mobile app (available for iOS and Android) that enables policyholders to easily access their auto and homeowners policy information. Some functions of the app include:
- View policy and billing details
- Claims management
- Access proof of insurance
- Contact an agent or claims representative
Get personalized insurance rates in less than five minutes.
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.