Bunker Hill Insurance Review
- With 4/5 stars in 2024, Bunker Hill is a good insurance company.
- Read Bunker Hill reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
Bunker Hill Insurance at a glance
Bunker Hill Insurance review
Bunker Hill Insurance Group is a small regional carrier offering homeowners insurance in Connecticut and Massachusetts. The company is a part of the Plymouth Rock Assurance Corporation, which offers a large variety of insurance products and serves a number of states in the Northeast. A network of more than 700 independent agents works with Bunker Hill to deliver the insurer's policies. Bunker Hill does not offer auto insurance, though coverage can be attained through partner company Plymouth Rock.
Have a look The Zebra's expert review of Bunker Hill to get a picture of the company’s financial strength, coverage options, and overall levels of customer satisfaction.
JD Power Rating — Not Rated
Financial strength — Excellent: AM Best rates the company with an A-, indicating Bunker Hill has good financial standing and will be able to pay out claims without issues.
NAIC Rating — Above Average: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) reported Bunker Hill Insurance Group received fewer complaints than the average insurer.
Bunker Hill Insurance Group home insurance options
Bunker Hill Insurance underwrites homeowners policies for Plymouth Rock Insurance. Its policies are only available in the states of Massachusetts and Connecticut, though Plymouth Rock partners with other companies to provide homeowners coverage in other New England states.
Bunker Hill’s policies provide the common coverages that you would expect from a homeowners policy, including coverage for your dwelling, personal property, and personal liability.
The company offers options that could help in one of the following situations:
- Unexpected costs incurred when rebuilding your home after a catastrophic loss
- Updates required by current building codes
- Insuring high-value items such as jewelry, firearms, or fine art as “scheduled” items
- Expenses incurred due to identity theft
Note: In Massachusetts, Bunker Hill's homeowners policies are handled exclusively by local agents.
Bunker Hill home insurance discounts
Discounts vary by state, but these are some of the ways in which you could save money on your Bunker Hill homeowners insurance.
- Age of home: The newer the home, the larger the discount.
- Quote in advance: Getting a home insurance quote more than 7 days before coverage begins can help you save money.
- Claims-free: You could save if you've gone five years without having a claim on your home insurance policy.
- New customer: Receive a discount just for making the switch to Bunker Hill.
- Superior constructed home: Homes built using solid and fire-resistive materials are often eligible for discounts.
- Companion policy discount: Get a discount for bundling your homeowners or renters policy with a Plymouth Rock auto policy.
- Fire protection discount: You could save if your home has a central fire monitoring system or automatic sprinklers.
- Security protection discount: Homes equipped with a central monitoring system could save you money on your homeowners policy.
- eDocuments discount: This one is a win-win. You could save $25 — and a few trees — by choosing to receive electronic policy and billing information.
- Connected home: Smart homes with internet-connected devices to protect you from theft, fire, or water damage can save you money.
Compare quotes from over 100 providers.
Bunker Hill renters insurance options
Renters insurance is a smart option for non-homeowners who want to make sure that their personal belongings are protected. Renters insurance can also provide personal liability coverage that can offer protection in a variety of circumstances. Similar to Bunker Hill’s homeowners insurance policies, its renters coverage is only available in Connecticut and Massachusetts under the Plymouth Rock banner, though the policies are underwritten by Bunker Hill.
Below you’ll find some of the common coverages offered as part of Bunker Hill’s renters insurance policies. Keep in mind coverage options are subject to your individual policy and can vary by state.
Renters insurance covers your personal belongings in the event of a covered loss such as fire, theft, or lightning, among others. Bunker Hill’s rental coverage even covers your personal items away from the property, such as when you are on vacation and lose your luggage.
Personal liability is hugely important in protecting your assets. A Bunker Hill renters policy includes personal liability that can protect you from accidental damage or injury of another person. Some medical expenses could also be covered should a guest injure themselves while on your property.
Renters coverage is also important as it will cover the costs of lodging if you’re forced to vacate your home due to a covered event.
Bunker Hill website and digital payment process
Bunker Hill Insurance does not have an app to speak of, and the insurer's online presence is understated. Most inquiries lead directly to the Plymouth Rock website, which describes the details of Bunker Hill’s coverage. The site does offer a portal for policyholders to access their account information and make payments, though the availability of certain features may depend on which state you reside in.
Is Bunker Hill Insurance right for you?
With its wide-ranging discounts and emphasis on local insurance agents, Bunker Hill renters or homeowners insurance could be a good option for those seeking robust coverage with a personal touch. However, as they are only active in two states, their reach is rather limited, and they are dependent on Plymouth Rock for a number of their other policies. Still, their financial strength and low level of consumer complaints seem to indicate an overall level of comfort and satisfaction from Bunker Hill policyholders.
While Bunker Hill could be a great option for your home policy, it never hurts to do some research when looking for the right insurance carrier. Start by reading customer reviews and getting as many insurance quotes as possible to compare insurance premiums and coverage types. The Zebra makes this easy by offering free quotes from dozens of companies at once.
Just enter your ZIP code below to compare quotes.
Find the right policy in only a few minutes.
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance editorial content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.