PURE Insurance Review
- With 2.4/5 stars in 2023, PURE is a fair insurance company.
- Read PURE reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
PURE insurance: Ratings and reviews
PURE Insurance, which stands for Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange, is headquartered in White Plains, New York. Think of PURE Insurance as the country club of insurance companies — the company operates on a member-owned model and specializes in insurance for high-net-worth clients with considerable assets. Those with significant assets may have particular insurance needs, so PURE’s portfolio of insurance products not may appeal to everyone.
PURE Insurance could provide exactly what you’re looking for if you want to insure a luxury car, a yacht, a vacation home or domestic staff to maintain your properties. If you regularly worry about the security of valuable collections of art and jewelry, or if you’re vulnerable to litigation from someone targeting your wealth, PURE Insurance could be a suitable option for your insurance needs.
Like all of PURE Insurance's coverage options, its auto insurance product is designed with high-net individuals in mind. Those who can afford high-end or luxury vehicles are likely to be the only customers who would fully benefit from a PURE policy. Read on to find out more about PURE Insurance availability, ratings and coverage options.
Favorable customer service reputation
Best for drivers with high-value or luxury vehicles
Robust, customizable coverage
A pricier insurance company
Not ideal for high-risk drivers or drivers who do not own luxury vehicles
The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey
Alongside third-party ratings, we like to include results from our own customer survey. Feedback from real customers indicated which auto insurance companies are the best in multiple categories. However, we did not collect a sufficient amount of data on PURE for it to be included.
How much does Pure car insurance cost?
Currently, the national average for a 6 month car insurance policy is $880, whereas PURE is about $1675 or roughly 90% more expensive than a typical policy. This hefty premium is reflective of the fact that PURE insures very expensive vehicles. If your car is not one of luxury, PURE insurance is probably not the best choice for you.
The table below shows how PURE auto insurance compares against other top insurers.
Similar to any insurance company, pricing for PURE auto insurance does vary based on your age and generally will get cheaper the older you get. The table below shows PURE's car insurance premiums for different age brackets.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
PURE does not openly advertise discounts on car insurance but claims policyholders can lower premiums by:
- Insuring more cars than drivers
- Keeping your child’s vehicle at home while they’re away at college
- Limiting the number of days you drive your collector car
One thing all three of these factors have in common is that they contribute to a reduced risk profile — which is exactly what insurers like to see in their policyholders. PURE suggests there could be other cost-cutting measures if you take steps to lessen the risk you present.
Search, compare and buy all on one site. Start saving today!
What types of coverages does PURE offer?
Standard options such as liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are available through PURE. The company specializes in covering rare and luxury vehicles — everything from vintage classic cars to expensive sports cars can be insured with commensurately high coverage limits. PURE also offers some unique coverage options that may appeal to policyholders in anticipation of what a high-worth or unique vehicle would need to be sufficiently protected.
- Agreed value - While most insurance companies pay out for total losses on an actual cash value basis (or replacement cost if they offer that endorsement), this PURE coverage allows you and your insurer to decide on a fixed amount for the insured vehicle without depreciation or deductible. This guarantees you are recieving enough to fully replace your vehicle.
- Original replacement parts - PURE guarantees the use of original equipment manufacturers' parts if your vehicle needs to be repaired.
- Extended transportation expenses - PURE will deliver a rental car to you if your own is out of commission after a covered loss. This coverage can also be applied if your vehicle breaks down more than 50 miles from home, covering hotel stays, meals and other travel expenses up to $5,000. Your deductible is waived if you need to use this coverage.
- Worldwide coverage - For up to 90 days, your PURE policy follows you anywhere in the world to protect your property and liability.
- Unlimited roadside assistance - PURE’s 24/7 roadside assistance is at your service if your car breaks down, needs towing, tire service or you’re locked out.
Read the full list of PURE's additional coverage options here.
PURE mobile app
The PURE Insurance mobile app has a number of handy features like bill pay, claims management and policy documentation. In addition, the PURE app includes added perks including the following:
- PURE Advice Dashboard: A customized tool to help identify coverage gaps and find opportunities to save money on your policy.
- Evergreen PURE360™: A digital home inspection report meant to help members reduce the need to file claims.
- PURE Home Spotlight: PURE members have access to PURE's home data library, providing important historical information on homes for sale including construction permits, property risk-level and claims history.
- PURE Member Advocates: PURE provides point-of-contact advocates who help before, during and after claims.
PURE insurance review: Summary
If you require specialized coverage for assets like boats, multiple high-value properties, and luxury vehicles, PURE may be a good fit. Because they specifically cater to those of significant means, they could have a better understanding of your unique coverage needs. For standard customers with mid-range vehicles, PURE is likely unnecessarily expensive. In fact, not everyone can qualify to be a PURE member, but their customer satisfaction record indicates their members are quite satisfied. The highly personalized membership benefits included in a PURE policy likely make stressful processes much easier, thus resulting in high customer satisfaction. The Zebra recommends PURE for owners of luxury vehicles and high-value property, but advises budget-conscious customers to look elsewhere.
Methodology — how The Zebra reviews insurance companies
The team of insurance experts at The Zebra considers the company's standing in five main categories to come up with an overall rating. These metrics are weighted according to importance and are detailed below:
- Price (20%): Using the base profile detailed below, we compared the company's average rate with the national average. If it surpassed this average, we gave a lower rating; if it fell below, we awarded a higher rating.
- Coverage (20%): The highest-scoring companies offer a variety of coverage options, including bundling options, roadside assistance, telematics, beyond-basic coverage levels, and a variety of other coverage types.
- Customer service (30%): We averaged ratings from JD Power, the NAIC complaint index to come up with a rating for the company's customer service. In instances when a company is not rated, we may use alternative rating agencies such as the Better Business Bureau and Trust Pilot.
- Financial strength (10%): We use AM Best to determine a company's financial standing. In some cases when a company is not rated by AM Best, we may use an alternative measure such as Demotech.
- The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey (20%): The Zebra conducts an annual survey measuring customer satisfaction for many of the top insurance companies with the goal of ranking both the best auto insurance companies and best home insurance companies. Read more below.
For our auto insurance review, we analyzed more than 83 million insurance rates spanning every U.S. ZIP code using a sample user profile: a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord, good credit and full coverage at these levels:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per incident for property damage liability
- $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive coverage
For our home insurance review, rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
These sample premiums are dynamic and automatically refresh whenever the newest data is made available.
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted this profile based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies. These factors include credit score, coverage level and others.
For The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2023.
PURE insurance: Frequently asked questions
Is PURE a good insurance company?
PURE (Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange) is a good option for high-net-worth individuals requiring specialized coverage for assets like boats, multiple high-value properties, and luxury vehicles. The highly personalized membership benefits included in a PURE policy likely make stressful processes much easier, thus resulting in high customer satisfaction. Budget-conscious customers or high-risk drivers should look elsewhere.
What type of insurance is PURE insurance?
PURE (Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange) offers high-net-worth insurance, including high-end home, auto, jewelry, art, personal liability, and watercraft insurance.
How do you qualify for PURE insurance?
PURE insurance primarily caters to high-net-worth individuals, offering specialized coverage for luxury assets. Homes must be worth $1 million or more to be eligible.
Where is PURE insurance available?
PURE insurance is available nationwide, having expanded coverage to the final state in its national expansion, Idaho, in 2022.
Get quotes from 100+ companies with The Zebra!
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance editorial content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.