Can I drive a truck I'm buying across state lines, without plates, to get it home?

I'm looking at a used truck and may buy it. The truck is located in PA and I'm located in NJ. How do I transport the truck home? Can I buy the vehicle, have the seller take his plates off and take his registration out of the car? He will provide me with a signed title and a note saying I just purchased the vehicle and I already have it on my insurance policy.

Aug 29, 2019 Pennington, NJ

Kristine Lee

Aug 29, 2019

I would call up your local DMV or appropriate state department and ask them what to do. Most states allow you to pay a small fee and show an out of state status and they will issue you a temporary paper plate for the vehicle to be relocated. You should have no issues transporting the truck across state lines to get it home this way. Just make sure the title is transferred to you so you can register it in your name and in your state. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.