Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



Can I get liability insurance for a financed car, and can I get gap insurance without full coverage?

I am an 18-year-old male and car insurance is expensive for me. Most dealerships require full coverage for financed cars. I just wanted to know if there is a way I can get liability insurance instead.

Agent Answer

Kristine Lee

Typically, no. You don’t want liability only because the car will not be sufficiently protected. Full coverage includes comprehensive and collision coverage which protects the car when there is physical damage. Financing companies require this because you owe money on the car and they need their loan covered, and if something happened and you only have liability, you would be responsible for the full loan and not have a car. Additionally, if you don’t have full coverage it’s unlikely insurers will honor gap coverage.

Yes, insurance is expensive for 18-year-olds, so you should shop around as much as possible for the best rate. If a parent can add you to their policy, you’d save some money that way.

Good luck and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Below is some information you might find useful.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More