Laws regarding storing a car in Nevada?
I would like to store my car in a private secure garage. I will not drive the car. What is the law in Las Vegas NV regarding this?
There's a couple of things to think about here.
- Liability laws: In Nevada, just like most states, if the vehicle is registered, you need to have insurance on the vehicle. You can have the state minimum liability coverage. If you were to cancel the insurance, you would need to un-register the vehicle and return your license plates. Here, there are a few implications of this;
- You cannot drive the vehicle legally. This won't be a problem for you.
- You will have a gap in your insurance coverage if this is you only vehicle. This can make getting car insurance again in the future more expensive.
- Loan/Lease agreements:
- If you have a loan or lease the vehicle, you will be in violation of your contract and risk having forced car insurance put on your vehicle. You can find more information in our guide regarding forced car insurance, or collateral protection insurance.
- Parked Car Coverage
- This coverage would provide comprehensive insurance to your vehicle only. This would keep your vehicle protected against theft, vandalism, and weather-related claims. See our summary of parked car coverage.
Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.
The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.
Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself
Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started. No phone number required.
Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes
Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.
Step 3: Compare your quotes
Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.
Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you
Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.