Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Does a non-running vehicle need to be insured?

My car needs a new engine and won't even start, so I'm not driving it at all, and I plan to sell it. Do I need to have this car insured even though it can't be driven?

Aug 1, 2018 Miami, FL

Author profile picture

Ava Lynch

Insurance Analyst

  • 7+ years of Experience in the Insurance Industry

Ava joined The Zebra as a writer and licensed insurance agent in 2016. She now works as a senior insurance contributor, providing insights and data a…

Thanks for reaching out to The Zebra about this.

There are a couple of things to think about in your specific situation, and your solution will depend on how you want to handle this. Here are three scenarios to consider:

  1. If your car is registered you will need to have insurance on it, even if you are not driving it. If you do not have insurance, the state of Florida can suspend your license.
  2. Another option would be to turn your plates into the Department of Motor Vehicles. The car would no longer be legal to drive but you would not be penalized for not having insurance. This might be a good idea if you're planning on selling the vehicle for parts.
  3. However, if you plan to repair the vehicle, option two might not work for you. Most people buying a vehicle will want to test drive it. In this case, you'd need to have insurance and have plates.

Car insurance is generally mandatory, but there are exceptions to this and they aren't one-size-fits-all. It is best to research the laws for your state to make sure you know what is required. For folks who have a vehicle that they still want to protect even if it isn't being driven, you might want to carry comprehensive coverage nonetheless. The car may not run, but if a tree falls onto the garage in which it is being stored, you'll likely be glad you've got the correct coverage to pay for this.

You should also consider the possible implications of having a lapse in coverage. Even if this car is going to be sold, you'll likely need auto insurance again at some point and insurance companies will look at your coverage history when they evaluate your risk to determine premiums.

I hope this helps! Best of luck, and feel free to call The Zebra's agency at 888-255-4364 when you're ready to shop around for the right coverage to fit your situation.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Can I file a claim if my insurance policy is canceled but was active at the time of an accident?

It will depend on how long ago the accident happened. You can use our chart on time limits for filing claims by state and see if you still have time to file a claim. If the accident happened in Florida, you have 4 years from the date of the incident to file a claim, based on the chart. The timefram…
Jan 15, 2017 Miami, FL

Can I insure vehicle I am driving in someone else's name?

There's a couple of things to think about here. First, your boyfriend's sister cannot and should not insure the vehicle simply because she does not drive it. Second, although you do not have a license, you should still get the vehicle insured as it is required by law in North Carolina. Th…
Aug 18, 2018 Clayton, NC

I just bought a used car and it is still insured under the previous owner. Am I covered?

When the ownership of a vehicle transfers from one person to another then the insurance coverage is no longer valid for the new owner. Even though the policy may still be active from the previous owner, you now own the vehicle and are not listed as a driver on the insurance coverage. You would need…
Apr 6, 2016 Sioux Falls, SD

Can someone else register and insure a vehicle I finance?

Regardless of where you live, if you are financing a vehicle you need to have it registered in your name. You can put the car insurance in someone else's name but insuring a vehicle you don't own can be challenging and you would still need to be listed on the policy. You will also need to…
Apr 7, 2019 Fern Park, FL