Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Is it mandatory to list my adult child on my policy?

I was looking for a new insurance policy and was told that I have to add my son since he lives in my home (although he is an adult). He won't be driving my vehicle, so do I still have to add him?

Aug 18, 2022 Groveton, NH

Author profile picture

Beth Swanson

SEO Content Strategist

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty

Beth joined The Zebra in 2022 as an Associate Content Strategist. She is a licensed insurance agent whose goal is to make insurance content easy to r…

Thanks for reaching out to The Zebra!

This is actually a common concern for families. Insurance companies generally require that any person in the household be listed on your policy regardless of driving status. The reason is that the company wants to know who they will and will not cover as a driver if there is a claim involving your vehicle. The reason comes down to risk. When an insurance company is evaluating the risk you pose as a policyholder, there are many factors that they analyze. Having other potential drivers in your home is part of their calculation, so this should be disclosed upfront.

You may never plan on letting your son use your car, but it's one of those things that isn't always guaranteed. Frankly, insurance companies know how easy it is to let someone else drive your car, even if there is no ulterior motive. It may be an emergency that only involves your son taking the car a couple of miles down the road, but this hypothetical situation still counts as another member of your household driving your vehicle.

Another option in some states is an exclusion. Adding an excluded driver to your policy doesn't normally impact your rate, but this isn't an option everywhere. Excluding a driver might be a good option if your son is a high-risk driver with a poor record behind the wheel. Having a risky driver on your policy will likely increase your premium.

When shopping for auto insurance be sure to ask about your options concerning your son being listed on your policy, but remember that you don't want to misrepresent yourself when applying for new policies, either. If you want to shop for auto insurance quotes or want to talk with an agent about this, feel free to reach out to The Zebra at 888-255-4364.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

How long into getting a new policy can I file a claim?

As long as the problems began after you started your policy, you can file a claim immediately. The statute of limitations in West Virginia is two years for property damage. The damage caused by the rat would fall under your comprehensive coverage so you will just have to pay your deductible. You wo…
Dec 9, 2017 Charleston, West Virginia

What's max amount of cars allowed on State Farm insurance policy?

To get an exact answer to your question you would need to contact State Farm directly, but generally most insurance companies will allow up to four cars on a policy. However, keep in mind that some companies have rules about how many cars you can list per number of drivers. For instance, if you onl…
Dec 14, 2018 Barbourville, KY

How many cars can I list under one insurance policy?

The maximum allowable number of drivers and vehicles that can be insured on any particular car insurance policy will vary by company. While there is no set standard, most insurance companies will allow their customers to insure up to 4 drivers and 4 vehicles on a single policy. This does not mean t…

An excluded driver got into an not-at-fault accident with my vehicle

In this situation, it can depend. When a driver is excluded from a car insurance policy, this means they are not covered to drive your vehicle. Your insurance company is no longer responsible if the claim was caused by an excluded driver. The good news is, in most situations when a driver is rear-e…
Sep 16, 2018 Gulfport, MS