Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



If I use my parents’ house as my permanent address but live in an apartment, can I get renters insurance?

I’m a college student who lives in off-campus apartments. I still use my parents’ address on my driver license and school paperwork. Can I get renters insurance using their address if I don’t live there?

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

You would need to use the address of the apartment you are planning on renting. In the event of a claim, let’s say a fire, your renters insurance provider will notice that the address listed on your claim doesn’t match your policy paperwork. It’s important to use the address where you are actually living so you don’t run into any issues with coverage if you ever had to file a claim.

Was this helpful?

1 3
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More