Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

If a mechanic started my car on fire and caused damage, should I alert my insurance company?

I had my car at a local mechanic to have a tow package installed. While near the rear passenger inner panel caught fire, damaging the interior, seating, and some electrical/AC components. I don't know the total damage yet, but the estimate is nearing $6,000 on a vehicle lucky to break $8,500 total value (2011 Dodge Grand Caravan). I'm hesitant to receive repairs since it nears the "totaling" value, but I am not sure of my options. I feel like if either party has insurance involved then my car may be totaled. Both options seem to draw headaches.

Jun 30, 2019 Buffalo, NY

Author profile picture

Ross Martin

Insurance Writer

  • 4+ years in the Insurance Industry

Ross joined The Zebra as a writer and researcher in 2019. He specializes in writing insurance content to help shoppers make informed decisions.

Ross h…

I'm sorry to hear about your accident.

There are a couple of things to think about here. First, you'll more than likely have to alert your insurance company. Any time there is damage to your vehicle, they will usually require you to report it. In this case, your insurance company can be helpful considering the mechanic might be responsible. If that is the case, the mechanic's liability coverage would provide you with a settlement.

As for the total loss, this varies by state. For New York, a total loss is determined by a "Total Loss Threshold" of 75%. Meaning that the value of damage needs to be at least 75% or more for the vehicle to be totaled. Using your estimates, it's likely your vehicle will be totaled.

If you're not willing to contact your company, you could take the settlement and try to repair the vehicle. In this case, you would have a salvaged title which could impact your ability to get insurance. Most insurance companies view a salvaged title as a bigger risk factor than a non-salvaged title.

Best of luck. Below are links to some information related to total losses/salvaged vehicles and claims:

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

Can my son borrow my vehicle to use on the weekends

This can be tricky. Since he doesn't live in your residence full-time, he no longer needs to be listed on the policy. But, his ability to use your car will depend on the specific conditions of your car insurance policy. Namely, do you have what's called permissive user. Permissive use or …
Jul 28, 2018 Smithtown, NY

Will filing a full glass coverage claim to repair my windshield cause my premiums to rise or count as a claim at renewal?

While excessive claims can cause your rate to increase or impact your ability to find coverage with other companies, one single glass claim is unlikely to cause much, if any, impact. Generally, glass claims are the least likely to cause a rate increase or a non-renewal with your current company. If…
Jul 27, 2017 Wallingford, CT

Why does Allstate count hail damage against you?

Insurance companies are in business to make money, so when a customer files multiple claims within a certain time frame (usually 3 years), this begins to cost the insurance company more money than they are receiving from that customer. While not every company will non-renew your policy for multiple…
Feb 28, 2017 Amsterdam, NY

Can I file a claim if my insurance policy is canceled but was active at the time of an accident?

It will depend on how long ago the accident happened. You can use our chart on time limits for filing claims by state and see if you still have time to file a claim. If the accident happened in Florida, you have 4 years from the date of the incident to file a claim, based on the chart. The timefram…
Jan 15, 2017 Miami, FL