Ask An Agent


Get free insurance advice on demand



How do I sell my car to an out-of-state buyer?

I’m a New York resident in the middle of selling my car and I have a potential buyer who lives in Connecticut. How do I transfer ownership of my automobile to a potential buyer from different state?

Agent Answer

Neil Richardson

You will need to transfer the title of the vehicle to the new buyer. It is important that you fill in all of the appropriate areas required in the title certificate when selling the vehicle to another party. Once the buyer has the title in their name then they will need to title and register the vehicle in Connecticut. You will also need to cancel the registration of the vehicle and return your New York license plates to the state once the title is transferred. I would recommend contacting a local title office in your area for the correct paperwork needed for a smooth sale.

Was this helpful?

0 0
  • Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

    Ask us another question and an insurance expert will get back to you with an answer.

Looking to save money on your car insurance?

Learn More