Indiana Car Insurance Laws

Auto insurance requirements in Indiana

In order to be considered a legal driver, motorists in Indiana are required to carry car insurance. Proof of insurance must be carried while you are driving, and must be shown at the behest of law enforcement officials. The minimum insurance limits required by the state of Indiana can be seen below:


Minimum Liability Coverage: 25/50/25
  • $25,000 for bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury per accident
  • $25,000 for property damage per accident

Keep in mind that those leasing or financing a vehicle could be required to carry physical property damage insurance — otherwise known as full coverage — by their leasing company or lienholder.


Liability coverage requirements in Indiana

Liability coverage is legally required in Indiana and pays for injury and lost wages that you cause to another driver or their passengers. This also applies to any damage to the other driver’s vehicle in the event in which you are considered “atfault.” It’s important to note that this coverage never pays for your injuries or damage to your own property. The specifics of this coverage are explored further below.


What are state-mandated car insurance limits in Indiana?

Nearly every state requires some type of car insurance coverage in order to be considered a legal driver. These bare minimums are often referred to as limits, as they are the maximum amount that a car insurer will pay out in a claim, though higher coverage amounts are available with most companies.

The coverage limits are determined by each individual state and normally split into three different numbers, often referred to as split limits. In Indiana, this is listed as 25/50/25. The first two numbers refer to bodily injury coverage per-person and per-accident, respectively, while the last number refers to property damage.

  • The bodily injury coverage per person limit is the maximum dollar amount that an insurer will pay for a single person that you injure in an auto accident.
  • The bodily injury coverage per accident is the maximum dollar amount that will be paid for all injuries that you cause in an accident if more than one person is hurt.
  • The property damage per accident limit is the maximum dollar amount that an insurer will pay for damage that you cause in an accident.


Do Indiana’s required insurance minimums provide enough coverage?

Indiana’s required liability insurance is on par with most other states — even dramatically more than a few. Still, that does not mean that you should assume you are properly covered. One at-fault accident can cause an extraordinary amount of damage. Serious injuries could quickly eat up your bodily injury limits, especially if you injure more than one person. Furthermore, if you consider that the average cost of a new car is more than $25,000, these property damage limits suddenly seem quite low. As such, it's seen as a good idea to increase these limits as much as you can reasonably afford. 

Remember that the required insurance coverage in Indiana is only liability, meaning that it will pay nothing for your injuries or damage to your property. If you wanted to ensure you and your vehicle were protected, you would need to add an entirely new form of coverage to your policy.


Indiana’s penalties for driving without proof of insurance

If you are found to be driving without the proper insurance coverage in place, you can expect the following consequences in Indiana: 

Penalties for driving without proof of insurance in IN
  • License suspension between 30 days and one year
  • Reinstatement fees of at least $250
  • Possible filing of anSR-22


Optional car insurance coverage in Indiana

Indiana law only requires liability coverage to be a legal driver. However, most insurance companies offer a variety of coverage options which can add more protection. Check out a few of these options below.


  • Comprehensive: A form of physical damage coverage, this protects your vehicle from non-collision damages including theft, weather damage, and even animal collisions.
  • Collision: This coverage protects your vehicle from damage relating to colliding with another vehicle or stationary object.
  • Loan/Lease Payoff: Sometimes referred to as gap coverage, this coverage is very handy for those who are financing a vehicle that has been totaled. It factors in your vehicle’s depreciation to cover the difference in the actual cash value and what you still owe on the loan.
  • Medical Payments: Medical payments coverage — or Med Pay — is an optional coverage that goes toward covering the medical expenses of you and those in your vehicle at the time of an accident. This coverage pays regardless of fault.
  • Rental Car Reimbursement: Should your car be rendered undrivable, this coverage steps in to provide you with a rental until your car is fixed. Limits vary by company.
  • Roadside Assistance: Though each insurance company will offer slightly different coverage options, this coverage typically helps in the event that your car breaks down. Typical uses of this coverage are for battery jumps, towing, and fixing flat tires.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury: There are, unfortunately, quite a few motorists who get behind the wheel without carrying any insurance — or at least not enough. These coverages help in the event that an uninsured — or underinsured — driver causes an accident and is unable to pay your medical expenses.
  • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: This form of uninsured coverage protects your vehicle in the event that it is damaged by an uninsured driver. 


Why adhering to Indiana’s car insurance requirements is important

Car accidents are never planned. This is the exact reason why carrying car insurance is so important. On top of facing penalties, not having the right coverage — or high enough limits — can wind up costing you big. It’s always a good idea to increase your limits or add additional coverage when you can afford it. The best way to find the car insurance you need is to compare quotes.The Zebracan help you compare quotes from a number of top companies so that you can find coverage that protects you and your assets.

Ready to start saving?

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmarkNo junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.
Ross Martin LinkedIn

As a licensed insurance agent, Ross is responsible for researching and writing about all matters related to auto and home insurance. He has a background in writing and education, as well as a master's degree from Royal Holloway, University of London. He has been quoted by CNET,, and Kin Insurance.