A relative newcomer to the insurance space, Elephant has nonetheless made quite an impact since its founding in 2009. Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, it is a subsidiary of the Admiral Group, which is based in the UK. Elephant is available in a growing number of US states. Offering an array of coverages, the company may be a competitive option for your next policy. However, keep in mind that Elephant receives so-so customer service ratings. Take a look at The Zebra's Elephant Insurance review, including a detailed breakdown of coverage options, discounts, and customer complaints.
Elephant Insurance Review
Elephant Insurance earned an overall score of 3.5/5 in The Zebra's review. Read more below to find out if they're the right carrier for you.
Why you can trust The Zebra
The Zebra partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed agents. Reference our data methodology and learn more about how we make money.
Elephant Insurance at a glance
Elephant Insurance review
JD Power Rating — Not Rated
Financial strength — Not Rated: Elephant Insurance does not have a rating from AM Best. It's parent company — Admiral Group — is well known in the United Kingdom, but does not have a rating either.
NAIC Rating — More complaints than average: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) has registered considerably more customer complaints about Elephant Insurance than the average for all insurers. NAIC complaints may be a product of poor experiences during the claims process or customer service dissatisfaction.
Elephant auto insurance coverage options
Elephant auto insurance is available in seven states, offering twelve-month policy terms in Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. The company provides standard coverage options like liability, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured motorist coverage. See below some of the optional features that can be added to an Elephant insurance policy.
Elephant partners with technology company urgent.ly to provide fast, secure, and high-quality roadside assistance services for policyholders.
Elephant roadside assistance delivers:
- Battery jumping
- Emergency fuel delivery
- Flat-tire replacement
- Lock-out services
This is also known as a vanishing deductible. Upon sign-up, Elephant claims to offer a reduced deductible regardless of your accident history. This deductible decreases the longer that you go without an accident. For six-month policies, you'll see a reduction of $50 at renewal, while twelve-month policies will see a reduction of $100.
If you need a rental car while your own vehicle is out-of-commission while being repaired, Elephant offers a choice from various tiers of coverage limits to be allocated towards rental reimbursement.
Elephant offers custom equipment coverage if your car is modified with special parts. This is only applicable if you have comprehensive and collision coverage.
Applicable for contesting one minor traffic infraction per year and per driver, Elephant’s legal assistance will cover the cost of a consultation and representation by a lawyer. You can also get a 25% discount off attorney fees for pre-existing, non-auto-related legal matters like family law, documentation review, and will preparation.
Elephant insurance discounts and reward programs
Elephant gives you the chance to save money on car insurance in a few different ways. Many of the traditional discounts offered by many of the big insurance providers can also be found here. Check out the following Elephant car insurance discounts.
Discounts based on your policy
- Bundling: Get a multi-policy discount by bundling your auto with homeowners, renters, or motorcycle insurance.
- Online quote: Get your quote online on Elephant’s website to get an immediate 12% off your rate.
- Pay-in-full: Pay your annual premium in one lump sum to save some money — and you’re good for the year!
- Go paperless: Elephant customers who opt-out of paper bills get up to 3% off per insured vehicle.
- E-signature: Enroll in your policy with your electronic signature to qualify for a small discount.
Discounts based on the driver or vehicle
- Multi-car: Insure more than one vehicle on your policy to get up to 20% off your premium.
- Good driver: Elephant rewards responsible drivers with up to 10% off if you have a good driving record and have been accident-free for five years.
- Good student: If you’re a full-time student between ages 16 and 25 with at least a “B” average, you’re eligible for a good student discount.
- Homeowner: If you own your home you can save money on your Elephant policy.
- Work from home: Home-based workers — who find themselves driving less due to not having to go into the office — are offered a discount from Elephant.
Additional lines of insurance
Elephant offers a variety of other insurance options, many of which you can bundle with your auto policy:
|Motorcycle||Renters insurance||Life insurance|
|Homeowners insurance||Umbrella insurance|
Is Elephant Insurance right for you?
The coverage options and discounts available through Elephant Insurance make it a competitive option when compared to some of the larger and more well-known car insurance companies on the market. However, if customer service is something that you value, consider expanding your search via The Zebra or an insurance agent.
The Zebra is here to help. Enter your ZIP code below to get insurance quotes from dozens of companies so that you can find the best coverage at the best rates.
Save an average of $440 a year by comparing your options.
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.