Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Can I get homeowners insurance with non-permitted roof repairs?

I'm buying a new home and the were repairs performed on this house without a permit, which is required by the city. Will this affect my homeowner's insurance if I go through with the purchase?

Nov 8, 2023 Palm Coast, FL

Author profile picture

Beth Swanson

SEO Content Strategist

  • Licensed Insurance Agent — Property and Casualty

Beth joined The Zebra in 2022 as an Associate Content Strategist. She is a licensed insurance agent whose goal is to make insurance content easy to r…

Thanks for reaching out about this! In short, yes, this will affect your insurance. Buying a home is a big life event and can be stressful even without surprises, so discovering that things weren't done according to code or local regulations can be incredibly frustrating (and potentially unsafe). Concerns like this can make obtaining homeowners coverage expensive and challenging. A home's roof type, age, and overall condition will have an impact on your home insurance premium, so it's important for a replacement or any repairs to be done appropriately (which includes permitting) by a professional.

Having particular roofing materials or a certain level of shingle quality can also be a way to qualify for a discount on your premium, which is an added bonus to knowing the roof repairs were done correctly and that your home is protected from the elements. When you're in the market for a new home, especially for first-time homebuyers, it's important to understand how the unique characteristics of a home will impact the overall cost — not only with insurance but also long-term maintenance and any up-front costs you might not be expecting.

If you end up going with a different house or decide to repair the roof on this one with proper permitting, we can help you explore coverage options to find the best homeowners insurance for you. Just call The Zebra's agency at 888-444-8949 or get a homeowners insurance quote right now.

Ask an Agent
Have a question? We're here to help.
Ask an agent for free

Insurance is complicated, but it doesn't have to be.

The Zebra searches all of the top insurance companies, in one place, so you can compare the cost and coverage you need to protect your car, home and other property.

Step 1: Tell us a little about yourself

Choose an insurance product and enter your zip code to get started.

Step 2: Sip your coffee while we find the best quotes

Enter the necessary information and then sit back while we find quotes from 100 top insurance carriers.

Icon Fill Form

Step 3: Compare your quotes

Compare quotes side-by-side to find the right match for you, whether it's home, auto, or more.

Icon Agent

Step 4: Let our agents do the hard work for you

Once you pick your policy, our agents are here to get you over the finish line. Then just relax and enjoy your savings.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Related Questions

Other people are also asking...

What is the difference between a DP-1 and a DP-3 policy?

This is an excellent question, thanks for asking! Home insurance can definitely be confusing.The "DP" in DP-1 and DP-3 stands for "Dwelling Policy."  These policies are typically reserved for homes that you own that are rented to a tenant. Dwelling policies may also apply to vac…
Dec 19, 2022 Columbus, OH

Will my renters insurance pay for me to stay in a hotel if my house is damaged?

Renters insurance is extremely valuable since it is often inexpensive and provides lots of coverage when things go wrong. Specifically in your situation, your renters policy should include a "loss of use" provision that would cover temporary living expenses if you weren't able to liv…
Apr 13, 2017 Augusta, ME

Do I need to change my policy when I rent out my home?

Great question! This is an important consideration if you're planning to turn your primary home into a rental. The short answer is yes, you'll need to change your homeowners policy to a landlord policy. An insurance company would likely deny a claim if the proper coverage isn't in pl…

Can I use my car insurance to damage to garage door?

Your car insurance would not cover the damage to the garage, only the damage to your vehicle if you have collision coverage. As for your second coverage, I would recommend paying for the damage out of pocket. Making a claim on your homeowner's insurance will increase your rates, most likely mo…
Aug 24, 2018 Orlando, FL