What do I do if someone hits me and provides false insurance information?

A car hit me on my driver's side door while changing lanes. We exchanged information and I contacted his insurance company to start the claim. Now they are saying that he was never insured with them and they won't pay for the damage. What do I do to get my car fixed?

Feb 9, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

Neil Richardson

Feb 9, 2017

Your best bet would be to contact your insurance company for assistance. If you had collision coverage on your policy at the time of the accident then your company should cover your damage anyway. Either your insurance company eats the cost of the claim, minus your deductible, or they will subrogate with the insurance company covering the vehicle that hit you. Regardless of the other driver's insurance status, your company should be able to fix your car if you had collision coverage.

Compare insurance rates today!

Location pin icon
No junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.