Car Insurance for Expats

Finding car insurance after coming home from abroad can be tricky — let's explore some options.

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmarkNo junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Finding car insurance for returning expats

If you’re returning to the US after living abroad, one of the many things you'll need to get in order is your car insurance. Even if you carried car insurance while abroad, your new insurance company might consider you “uninsured” when you apply for an auto insurance policy stateside. We've detailed common issues, helpful tips, and the impact of expat living on insurance rates in the below analysis.

Car insurance after returning to the US

A question you'll undoubtedly need to answer when seeking an auto insurance quote is, “are you currently insured?” Most insurance companies like to see three or more years of continuous, high-level coverage from a potential customer. In the estimation of an insurer, the longer a customer has carried insurance, the less risky they will be.

If you cannot provide proof of insurance — written in English — from the country in which you were living, an American car insurance company would consider you “uninsured” during the years you spent abroad. The best way to alleviate this would be to retain a policy declaration form for your records.

Didn’t have car insurance abroad?

If you either didn’t have coverage or can’t prove your coverage, expect your US auto insurance rates to be slightly higher than they would be if you had maintained continuous coverage. Typically, a driver with six months of continuous insurance coverage saves nearly $100 per year versus a driver with no sustained coverage.

Average annual insurance premium by time insured

Time InsuredAverage Annual Premium
6 Months$1,509
1 Year$1,475
3 Years$1,439
5 Years$1,409

Not all insurance companies will approve someone without continuous coverage. Because of the risks presented by an uninsured driver, the insurance company might underwrite your car insurance policy with a subsidiary.

Additional articles and takeaways

When returning to the states from abroad, be sure to secure proof of your expat car insurance. This record will help to prove your continuously insured status. If it looks like your coverage has lapsed, certain insurers could disqualify you or quote you higher premiums. No matter your unique circumstance, finding affordable car insurance for expats isn't impossible. Enter your new zip code below and start shopping.

Compare rates today!

Location pin icon
glyph-shield-checkmarkNo junk mail. No spam calls. Free quotes.

Looking for more information? See below:

Ava Lynch
Ava Lynch LinkedIn

Ava worked in the insurance industry as an agent for four-plus years. Currently providing insights and analysis as one of The Zebra’s resident property insurance experts, Ava has been featured in publications such as U.S. News & World Report, GasBuddy, and Yahoo! Finance.