Shelter Insurance Review
- With 3.4/5 stars in 2023, Shelter is a good insurance company.
- Read Shelter reviews, complaints and prices before you buy.
Shelter insurance: Ratings and reviews
Regarded as one of the top-tier regional insurance providers in the U.S., Shelter Insurance has a substantial customer base considering its size, rivaling giants like Allstate and Progressive in some states.
So what sets this insurance provider apart? Let’s explore various coverages and discounts Shelter Insurance offers.
The Zebra Customer Satisfaction Survey
In addition to third-party ratings, we like to incorporate the results from our own consumer survey where we ranked which auto insurance companies are the best based on feedback from real customers. However, we did not collect a sufficient amount of data on Shelter for it to be included.
How much does Shelter Insurance cost?
Currently, the national average for a 6-month car insurance policy is $880, whereas Shelter is about $994 or roughly 13% more expensive than a typical policy, making it a pricier option on average.
The table below shows how Shelter auto insurance compares against other top insurers.
Similar to any insurance company, pricing for Shelter auto insurance does vary based on your age and generally will get cheaper the older you get.
The table below shows Shelter's car insurance premiums for different age brackets.
|Age Group||Avg. Monthly Premium|
Dynamic auto insurance data methodology
Methodology: The auto insurance rates displayed above and throughout this page are dynamic, meaning the data will refresh when the most recent information is made available. Rates are based on a sample driver profile — a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord and full coverage. This profile was adjusted based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies, like age, coverage level, driving record and others.
Auto insurance discounts depend on certain qualifications and state availability. Some ways to lower your monthly rate for Shelter Insurance are listed below:
- Paid in full: You can save up to 10% on premiums if you pay in full at the start of your policy.
- Safe driver: Drivers who have been accident and violation-free for the last three years can save.
- Multi-car: Having more than one vehicle on your policy will earn you this discount.
- Good student: Students who keep up good grades while in school can be rewarded.
- Accident prevention course: Also known as a defensive driving course, drivers can lower their rates by completing an approved course.
Read more about Shelter's discount options here.
Search, compare and buy all on one site. Start saving today!
What types of coverage does Shelter offer?
Shelter Insurance provides all essential coverage options, including liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages.
It also offers:
- Rental reimbursement: If your vehicle is undrivable after an accident, Shelter will cover your car rental costs.
- Gap insurance: Pays the difference if your car is deemed a total loss and your collision coverage does not cover the amount you still owe on the car.
- Disability income: If a car accident leaves you unable to work because of injuries, this coverage will provide you with a weekly stipend for up to one year.
- Accidental death: Provides a payment if your spouse dies as a result of a car accident.
Read more about Shelter's additional coverages here.
Additional lines of insurance
Shelter offers many insurance products in addition to personal auto. Through Shelter, you can also get the following types of insurance:
Real-life customer experience
In an effort to provide even more insight into the Shelter customer experience, we reached out to real customers to see who has used Shelter as their own personal carrier. Below is what one long-time customer, Roger, had to say.
- Customer for over 5 years
- Also has a home policy
- Has filed claims
Shelter insurance review: Summary
In a nutshell, Shelter Insurance is a reliable, customer-centric insurance provider that offers a comprehensive range of coverage options, albeit at slightly higher prices. Its bundling options cater to diverse insurance needs, and the plethora of discount options and positive customer reviews give any potential policyholder confidence in choosing this provider. While there's room for improvement in some areas, overall, Shelter Insurance proves to be a strong contender in the insurance market.
Methodology — how The Zebra reviews insurance companies
The team of insurance experts at The Zebra considers the company's standing in five main categories to come up with an overall rating. These metrics are weighted according to importance and are detailed below:
- Price (20%): Using the base profile detailed below, we compared the company's average rate with the national average. If it surpassed this average, we gave a lower rating; if it fell below, we awarded a higher rating.
- Coverage (20%): The highest-scoring companies offer a variety of coverage options, including bundling options, roadside assistance, telematics, beyond-basic coverage levels, and a variety of other coverage types.
- Customer service (30%): We averaged ratings from JD Power, the NAIC complaint index to come up with a rating for the company's customer service. In instances when a company is not rated, we may use alternative rating agencies such as the Better Business Bureau and Trust Pilot.
- Financial strength (10%): We use AM Best to determine a company's financial standing. In some cases when a company is not rated by AM Best, we may use an alternative measure such as Demotech.
- The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey (20%): The Zebra conducts an annual survey measuring customer satisfaction for many of the top insurance companies with the goal of ranking both the best auto insurance companies and best home insurance companies. Read more below.
For our auto insurance review, we analyzed more than 83 million insurance rates spanning every U.S. ZIP code using a sample user profile: a 30-year-old single male driver with a Honda Accord, good credit and full coverage at these levels:
- $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident for bodily injury liability
- $50,000 per incident for property damage liability
- $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive coverage
For our home insurance review, rates are based on a sample user profile: a 45-year-old married homeowner living in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home built in 2011 with these coverage levels:
- $200,000 for the dwelling
- $20,000 for other structures
- $100,000 for personal property
- $100,000 for personal liability
- $1,000 deductible
These sample premiums are dynamic and automatically refresh whenever the newest data is made available.
To generate pricing for particular rating factors, we adjusted this profile based on common pricing factors used by major car insurance companies. These factors include credit score, coverage level and others.
For The Zebra's Customer Satisfaction Survey, findings are based on an online quantitative survey of 4,134 current U.S. auto and home insurance customers, with Census-balanced sampling by age, gender and region. Categories with n=<20 responses are considered insufficient sample size and are not reported. This survey was developed by The Zebra and executed by independent research firm Maru/Blue in 2023.
Shelter insurance: Frequently asked questions
Is Shelter a good insurance company?
Shelter Insurance is a good choice for those willing to pay slightly higher premiums for an insurer with a wide range of coverage options and discounts as well as good customer service. Individuals who prioritize advanced technology and lower pricing may want to explore other insurance companies.
Is Shelter insurance expensive?
According to our data, Shelter's car insurance rates are slightly higher than average. However, we always recommend gathering personalized quotes from multiple insurers versus going with one that has the lowest "average" price. Your unique situation can make your premium vary significantly from any "average" price listed. The insurance that's the cheapest for you might not be the cheapest for someone else.
Does Shelter insurance cover rental cars?
Shelter says their coverage usually extends to rental cars if it's a car that neither the policy holder or a resident of their house owns, you have a written agreement with the rental company and you don't rent longer than thirty days. It's important to confirm this with your agent to ensure you are adequately covered.
Do customers like Shelter insurance?
Yes, most customers seem to like Shelter insurance given their low complaint index, above average J.D. Power customer satisfaction score and low NAIC complaint index.
Get quotes from 100+ companies with The Zebra!
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance editorial content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.