Why you can trust The Zebra
The Zebra partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed agents. Reference our data methodology and learn more about how we make money.
Comparing auto insurance in New York and California
If you're relocating from New York to California, chances are you're focused on the big-picture concerns and major expenses: finding a reliable moving company, finding a new apartment or house in your new locale, and arranging your interstate move.
Amidst the stress of a big move, it’s easy to overlook the details. Car insurance is just a detail, but it's crucial. To ensure you stay street legal and find a good deal, plan to update your policy — or find a new policy altogether — when you move from one state to another.
Check out our guide to auto insurance in New York vs. California and make your interstate move painless. We'll cover the following topics:
- Insurance cost comparison
- Rates by coverage level
- Affordable companies by state
- Rates in major cities
- Additional resources
New York vs. California car insurance — average rates
Expect to pay less for auto insurance in California than you did in New York. The average annual auto insurance rate in California is $482 less than the average rate in New York. The exact cost may vary, depending on your coverage level, driving and insurance history, and your auto insurance company.
CAR INSURANCE PREMIUMS IN NEW YORK VS. CALIFORNIA
|State||Average Annual Price|
Average car insurance costs by coverage tier
How much you shell out for auto insurance depends on your chosen coverage level and how much you’re willing to invest each month to protect your car.
If you choose your state’s minimum liability auto insurance coverage, you will have medical payment, bodily injury, and property damage liability coverages, in addition to uninsured and underinsured driver coverage and personal injury protection in some states.
CAR INSURANCE PREMIUMS FOR BASIC LIABILITY COVERAGE IN NEW YORK vs. CALIFORNIA
Electing full-coverage auto insurance will cost substantially more, but you’ll get the peace of mind that comes with comprehensive and collision coverages, along with extras like rental reimbursement and roadside assistance. The main benefit of full coverage car insurance is that it protects you and your vehicle better than does basic coverage. If you are willing to spend more up front to protect your investment, full coverage could be the way to go.
CAR INSURANCE RATES FOR FULL COVERAGE IN NEW YORK vs. CALIFORNIA
Affordable auto insurance companies in New York and California
A major contributor to your auto insurance costs is the insurer you choose. Insurance companies set rates in a number of ways, resulting in major price variations. Location also plays a role: some car insurance companies only sell policies in certain states, while bigger insurance companies' rates differ by state.
When moving across state lines, it's critical to find the best cheap auto insurance company offering policies in your new state. Get started below by viewing the five cheapest car insurance companies in New York and California.
CHEAP CAR INSURANCE COMPANIES IN NEW YORK
|Insurance Company||Average Annual Rate|
See additional cheap auto insurance companies in New York.
AFFORDABLE CAR INSURANCE COMPANIES IN CALIFORNIA
|Car Insurance Company||Average Annual Rate|
See more cheap auto insurance companies in California.
Car insurance rates by city in New York and California
Though car insurance is legislated at the state level, insurers assign rates by ZIP code to adjust for local factors such as population density and number of insurance claims. The exact location to which you relocate will play a big part in deciding how much you pay for auto insurance.
The below tables show car insurance rates in major cities in California and New York.
CAR INSURANCE COSTS BY CITY IN NEW YORK
|City||Average Annual Rate|
Also, check out our longer list of new york cities.
AUTO INSURANCE RATES BY CITY IN CALIFORNIA
|City||Average Annual Rate|
Is your new home not listed above? View rates in smaller California cities.
More resources: moving from New York to California
When you relocate from New York to California, you’ll encounter new rules of the road, different SR-22 or FR-44 requirements, and more. Ensure your move goes off without a hitch with The Zebra's data on your new home:
- Car insurance laws in California
- California insurance FAQs
- Car insurance with a DUI or DWI in California
- Illinois vs. Wisconsin State Comparison
- New Jersey vs. Florida State Comparison
- California vs. Idaho State Comparison
- Massachusetts vs. California State Comparison
- New Jersey vs. California State Comparison
- New York vs. New Jersey State Comparison
- Michigan vs. Colorado State Comparison
- Florida vs. Colorado State Comparison
- Michigan vs. Texas State Comparison
- Georgia vs. California State Comparison
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.