Why you can trust The Zebra
Comparing auto insurance in New Jersey and Pennsylvania
If you're in the process of moving from New Jersey to Pennsylvania, you might be focused on the big-picture concerns and major expenses: finding a dependable long-distance moving company, getting a home in your new city, and arranging your move across state lines.
Amidst the stress of a big move, it can be easy to overlook the details. Auto insurance is just a detail, but it's a big one. To stay street legal and find cheap rates, plan to update your policy — or purchase a new policy — when you make the move.
Check out our guide to auto insurance in New Jersey vs. Pennsylvania to ensure your interstate move goes smoothly. We'll cover:
- Insurance rate comparison
- Insurance rates by coverage level
- Cheap companies by state
- Rates by city
- Additional resources
New Jersey vs. Pennsylvania car insurance — average rates
Expect to pay less for auto insurance in Pennsylvania than you did in New Jersey. The average annual auto insurance rate in Pennsylvania is $423 more affordable than the cost in New Jersey. Keep in mind this cost depends on your coverage level, driving and insurance history, and your auto insurance company.
CAR INSURANCE PREMIUMS IN NEW JERSEY AND PENNSYLVANIA
|State||Average Annual Rate|
Car insurance prices by coverage level
How much you pay for auto insurance depends on your vehicle, your personal driving profile, and how much protection you want.
With state minimum liability auto insurance coverage, you'll get bodily injury, medical payment, and property damage liability coverages, along with uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage and personal injury protection in some states.
AUTO INSURANCE PREMIUMS — STATE MINIMUM COVERAGE IN NEW JERSEY vs. PENNSYLVANIA
Upgrading to full-coverage car insurance will cost more, but you’ll get the peace of mind that comes with comprehensive and collision coverages, as well as rental reimbursement and roadside assistance. The most notable benefit of full coverage auto insurance is that it insures you and your vehicle more comprehensively than does minimum liability coverage. If you want to go the extra mile to protect your investment, full coverage is recommended.
AUTO INSURANCE PREMIUMS — FULL COVERAGE IN NEW JERSEY vs. PENNSYLVANIA
Cheap auto insurance companies in New Jersey and Pennsylvania
A primary determinant of your car insurance costs is the auto insurance company you choose. Auto insurance companies price rates in a variety of ways, resulting in substantial variations in pricing. Your location also plays a role: some car insurance companies only sell policies in certain states, while major insurers’ rates may vary by state.
When moving to a new state, it’s important to find the best cheap auto insurance company in your new state. Get your research started below with our list of the five cheapest auto insurance companies in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
AFFORDABLE AUTO INSURANCE COMPANIES IN NEW JERSEY
|Car Insurance Company||Average Annual Rate|
|New Jersey Manufacturers||$1,284|
AFFORDABLE AUTO INSURANCE COMPANIES IN PENNSYLVANIA
|Insurer||Average Annual Rate|
Car insurance rates by city in New Jersey and Pennsylvania
Though car insurance is legislated at the state level, underwriters assign rates by ZIP code to adjust for location-specific factors such as density and the likelihood of a crash. The specific location to which you relocate plays a big part in deciding your premiums.
Reference the below tables to see car insurance rates in major cities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
AUTO INSURANCE RATES BY CITY IN NEW JERSEY
|City||Average Annual Rate|
See a longer list of insurance rates in New Jersey cities.
CAR INSURANCE PRICES BY CITY IN PENNSYLVANIA
|City||Average Annual Premium|
Looking for a different city? View more insurance rates for Pennsylvania cities.
Additional resources: moving from New Jersey to Pennsylvania
When you relocate from New Jersey to Pennsylvania, you’ll encounter a new set of driving laws, different SR-22 or FR-44 requirements, and more. Make sure your move is problem-free with our collection of information on your new state:
- Car insurance laws in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania insurance FAQs
- Car insurance with a DUI or DWI in Pennsylvania
- Illinois vs. Florida State Comparison
- California vs. Texas State Comparison
- Illinois vs. Wisconsin State Comparison
- California vs. Nevada State Comparison
- Virginia vs. California State Comparison
- Michigan vs. Florida State Comparison
- New York vs. New Jersey State Comparison
- Michigan vs. Arizona State Comparison
- Florida vs. North Carolina State Comparison
- Florida vs. Colorado State Comparison
About The Zebra
The Zebra is not an insurance company. We publish data-backed, expert-reviewed resources to help consumers make more informed insurance decisions.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is written and reviewed for accuracy by licensed insurance agents.
- The Zebra’s insurance content is not subject to review or alteration by insurance companies or partners.
- The Zebra’s editorial team operates independently of the company’s partnerships and commercialization interests, publishing unbiased information for consumer benefit.
- The auto insurance rates published on The Zebra’s pages are based on a comprehensive analysis of car insurance pricing data, evaluating more than 83 million insurance rates from across the United States.